Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Free Drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:00 am

SAN -> SAC yesterday and SAC -> SAN today, had two beers on each flight, gave up zero coupons. So apparently free drinks are still game-on.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by G702TT
They made a quick pa announcement on my flight today after everyone boarded emphasizing that they accept credit cards or drink coupons. So this time it was clear there would be no complimentary drinks. However, after all that remained were middle seats, a woman and her young son boarded and needed to sit together. The flight attendant then announced that if anyone with an empty middle next to them would move to a middle in a different row so that these two would be able to sit together, they would get free drinks for the flight. Someone jumped at the offer. So one person received free drinks. Everyone else mostly used coupons with a few people paying by credit card.

Overheard from the flight attendant after I saw him attempting unsuccessfully to swipe someone's Visa card several times on the tablet ordering device before it finally worked: "I hate this thing."
I've seen this offer before, and a couple traveling together thought they'd get free drinks for giving the aisle seat to the kid while the mom sat a few rows away. It was an uncomfortable argument when the FA came by to collect payment.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Hate this new "take orders first, payment much later" thing. Twice now, I've ordered a drink, FA asks if I want to pay with a coupon or cc, I give her a coupon. Drink comes, drink gone, and then later she comes by asking for payment...and then we have the uncomfortable discussion if I've already given her a coupon or not, what was the conversation at the time to remind her.

"Hey, look in your apron pocket, there's a drink coupon with my name on it !!!"
drooley likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Looks like Southwest is set to increase the price of drinks on March 1 because they are close to bankruptcy:
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/sou...lcohol-prices/

Basically either use drink coupons or bring your own mini bottles through TSA and on-board.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Looks like Southwest is set to increase the price of drinks
... "price"? WN charges for drinks? ... is this ... new?!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... "price"? WN charges for drinks? ... is this ... new?!
Specifically alcoholic beverages. Non-alcoholic beverages are still free.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Specifically alcoholic beverages
Oh, I know, I was just being facetious as I haven't paid for a drink on WN in ~8 years due to my segment frequency.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:28 pm

Based on the content of a survey received a few months ago, I figured drink prices would be increasing soon.

I think we're going to see some additional ancillary revenue avenues soon as well.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:16 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Was on a very short flight the other day. Pax next to me ordered mixed drink and offered to pay. FA told him that she wanted to get the service completed and would come back to him for payment. She returned at the last minute to collect, and we were on the ground in a few minutes. I guess with the new tablets, no forgetting someone owes money.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I was on a short flight a couple of weeks ago and and the FAs seemed to be nearly panicked to get the drink service out before the flight was over. They never did collect for drinks. I was on the same route in the other direction last week. The flight was delayed for an unspecified reason. Gate was changed at the last minute and boarding delayed ( possibly for the crew to arrive) and cabin service went as usual. I half expected them not to collect for drinks because of the delay but they came back and collected.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Mar 1, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

The website and online Inflight Menu haven't been updated yet, but USA Today has an article about the drink price increase that begins tomorrow.

Highlights:

Beer: $6 for Miller Lite or Dos Equis, $7 for premium beer including Fat Tire, Lagunitas and Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.
Wine: $6.
Liquor: $7.

The price increase won't affect passengers who use Southwest's coveted drink coupons.

Southwest also offers passengers one free drink on a handful of "holidays'' throughout the year. The remaining days this year: St. Patrick’s Day, Southwest Airlines’ birthday (June 18) and Halloween.
Looks like they've cut back on the free drink holidays over the past year or so.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:32 pm

A positive development (for me at least, I love Deep Eddy Ruby Red). Too bad they don't offer grapefruit juice as a mixer.

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Basically either use drink coupons or bring your own mini bottles through TSA and on-board.
3. Skip the alcohol.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Took this pic on 3/1

ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:17 pm

FYI: The Inflight Menu is always available as a pdf download here. (Note that it's sometimes isn't updated immediately.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.