Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The End of Free Drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I thought Dec 25 was supposed to be a free drink day. I know it was previously.
Flew FLL to STL on Dec 25 and when I mentioned to the FA that I was looking forward to a free drink I was informed it didn't say it in the menu. The only free drink day in the menu was Feb 14.
I thought that was strange.
it was also strange to have the flight completely full on Dec 25, but the price had dropped to an awesome fare a couple of weeks before the flight.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Algebralovr
Flew FLL to STL on Dec 25 and when I mentioned to the FA that I was looking forward to a free drink I was informed it didn't say it in the menu. The only free drink day in the menu was Feb 14.
it was also strange to have the flight completely full on Dec 25, but the price had dropped to an awesome fare a couple of weeks before the flight.
I've noticed the number of free drink days has been dwindling over the last couple of years.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:17 am

I think the demise is being greatly exaggerated. It appears everyone commenting has only flown one flight over the past several months and were charged on that single flight, which is hardly a representative sample.

My last flight was in October, and I had 2 rounds free each way. In fact, in the return trip after having a beer at the start of the flight, I didn't want a drink but rather a soda. The FA kept forgetting to bring my soda, so when she finally did she brought the soda and extra beers!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
I think the demise is being greatly exaggerated. It appears everyone commenting has only flown one flight over the past several months and were charged on that single flight, which is hardly a representative sample.

My last flight was in October, and I had 2 rounds free each way. In fact, in the return trip after having a beer at the start of the flight, I didn't want a drink but rather a soda. The FA kept forgetting to bring my soda, so when she finally did she brought the soda and extra beers!
I totally agree. I think the flight attendants still have a level of discretion as to whether or not they will charge for cocktails, beer or wine depending on the situation. For instance, on my flight today that was three hours late due to mechanical issues, the gate agents gave all 162 passengers a $100 Luv voucher. I planned to have two gin and tonics on the flight and had my coupons ready to give to the flight attendant with her tablet. I thought they would charge for drinks as they usually do since all passengers were already compensated enough for the delay. But it was evident to me this flight was a free beverage flight (within reason) as an additional gesture of goodwill.The flight attendant looked at my drink coupon, turned away and walked to the next aisle to take orders. I thought maybe she would collect it after giving me the drink but again, she saw the coupon and was not interested in taking it. The same thing happened on my second round. My seatmates also didn’t have to pay anything.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:18 pm

Just flew round trip from SMF to LAX. On the trip to LA I had expired coupons from last year. "No problem, you earned it", she says. On the return, FA didn't even want my drink coupon as I reached into my jacket to retrieve it. Maybe the 1 hr flight delay had something to do with it but either way free drinks on two short flights.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:21 pm

Flew SLC-MDW-FNT last Tuesday. SLC-MDW leg departed over an hour late. Wifey and I ordered drinks, FA never collected for them. Had the coupons out on the tray table, she never asked for/took them/even ever made an attempt to collect for the drinks. Didn't bother on the MDW-FNT leg, it's so short.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
No coupons or cards charged on my flight Jan 20.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:47 pm

They made a quick pa announcement on my flight today after everyone boarded emphasizing that they accept credit cards or drink coupons. So this time it was clear there would be no complimentary drinks. However, after all that remained were middle seats, a woman and her young son boarded and needed to sit together. The flight attendant then announced that if anyone with an empty middle next to them would move to a middle in a different row so that these two would be able to sit together, they would get free drinks for the flight. Someone jumped at the offer. So one person received free drinks. Everyone else mostly used coupons with a few people paying by credit card.

Overheard from the flight attendant after I saw him attempting unsuccessfully to swipe someone's Visa card several times on the tablet ordering device before it finally worked: "I hate this thing."
john398 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:17 pm

They include a spiel about only accepting credit or non-expired coupons for alcoholic beverages on every flight I am on, IMO it is part of their standard pre-departure announcements and I would not consider it an indicator of whether or not there is potential for free drinks. I believe the intent is to clarify that they do not accept cash and that alcohol is not part of their standard complimentary service.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
What's even worse, this can all be avoided if I was allowed to bring on my own alcohol, but apparently the airlines/FAA discriminate against us who want an alcoholic beverage.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
What's even worse, this can all be avoided if I was allowed to bring on my own alcohol, but apparently the airlines/FAA discriminate against us who want an alcoholic beverage.
Worst case scenario it will be $5 a beverage. This is not so bad compared to UA, DL and AA.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:45 am

It's called "Control". They can much more easily monitor and cut off someone who appears intoxicated.

Typical of most public places.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I've never had a problem getting airplane size bottles through TSA (other than paying a too much per ounce for those) the few times I wasn't loaded with coupons. Then discretion is the better part of valor inside the terminal or airplane with the bottles and one's behavior...
synergistic and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
I've never had a problem getting airplane size bottles through TSA (other than paying a too much per ounce for those) the few times I wasn't loaded with coupons. Then discretion is the better part of valor inside the terminal or airplane with the bottles and one's behavior...
I concede I've broken this rule once or twice as well...
synergistic and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Algebralovr
I flew FLL-BDL on Christmas night and man was the airport/my flight full! I think it had a few middles open.

Anyway i always hand my drink coupons right away and I get more success with that. Never trying to do anything and game the system but my (very cute and very nice) flight attendant rejected the coupon saying "come on, it's Christmas!" Later I saw the flight attendants settling up wit everyone else. We had a great conversation that night...probably could've hung out at the hotel bar that night if I wanted to, but another story for another time...

i was stuck in MIA in early January due to the blizzard and booked a southwest flight home in a pinch. Remembered that I had that drink coupon in my wallet. Decided to not drink on FLL-BWI and it was too bumpy on BWI-BDL (one of just 4 flights on any airline to make it in that day btw) for a service.

So so now I'm stuck with some extra drink coupons and no flights upcoming...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.