Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Local help needed: Burlington VT (due to a planning disaster)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Here is the question: Would it be better to fly into ALB or MHT for a late January trip to Burlington, VT?

I have done the MHT but that is a drive over the mountain. ALB is up the valley but not Interstate Highway.

The disaster:

Had work in Burlington. As it was January, I decided to use Delta and fly to BTV. As I am COS, bought two seats. The one seat cost was less that one seat to ALB or MHT, but the two seat cost was more. The reservation was easy. The Delta COS policy is easy to negotiate. Buy two seats, get two together, get double luggage allowance (still $25.bag) and cheaper than First.

I was not at all bothered by this. The work was firm, the dates were firm. All was well with the world and then I came down with the flu and can not travel. The disaster begins. To change the flight, I have a $250 change fee times two seats. Yes, that is $700 in change fees. I get to keep a bit over $300 of the original $800 ticket.

I have decided to book WN. The COS policy is better and I have been reminded painfully of the value of the no change fee policy. The only question is what is the risk of planning to drive the 120 miles? Is it a greater risk than the risk of more sunk costs? BTW, the new seats will be over $1000 into BTV.

So what is it experts? Late January to BTV. MHT, ALB or pay the price and go to BTV?

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jan 9, 2018 at 11:20 am Reason: Edit for more accurate change fee cost
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
You can never depend on the weather this time of year up there so that is a total crapshoot. Day or night driving? Are you National and hopefully can grab a decent SUV off the lot, that was my go to in KC & PIT for many years.

MHT and all interstate 89 and shorter time would be my first choice - if time is a big factor.

OTOH, I would love to drive through the greater Lake George region once again, especially at this time of year.

FWIW, I lived & worked many years upstate NY and they do so much more have their act together with snow removal and cleaning (as wall as New England) then the greater NYC area I suffer with.

But I've also crawled along the horrible NYS Thruway for hours with trucks bogging everyone down, you're essentially trapped on that road. No factor here.

The adventurer in me would not be held hostage again by Delta and would choose ALB. I'd recommend MHT to you. Isolated snow squalls are going to happen in valleys and well as mountains.

Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 9, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I will plan to arrive so that all driving would be daylight.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Have you checked YUL? While WN is not an option, it's only 90 minutes and no mountains to deal with.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I live in Upstate NY and have driven up to Burlington in both good and bad weather. Given your choices I would choose Albany, primarily for the fact that you have three different routes to takes. With MHT you really only have one reasonable one. Although the Northway (I87 is an interstate hwy) is a longer drive the plowing/salting on it might be better than the other two options from ALB if the weather were bad. My fear with MHT is if there were an accident on I89 you really don't have any good options. The daylight driving is a great plan.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm sure you've already factored this in but if the weather is not looking favorable, don't go and/or on the return, stay an extra night. That cost and the gas have to be far less than more change fees.

I would love to drive through the Adirondack mountains again but don't think you have any issues with the mountains of I-89 as you are only skirting the Whites.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
What about BDL, up the Interstate the entire way? Not as pretty as the NY way, but still a nice drive once you get past Springfield.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
What about BDL, up the Interstate the entire way? Not as pretty as the NY way, but still a nice drive once you get past Springfield.
229 miles vs 120.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Have you checked YUL? While WN is not an option, it's only 90 minutes and no mountains to deal with.
It would be good, but Canada has a very long immigration file on me. It is never fun and I would have to enter Canada twice.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
I'm sure you've already factored this in but if the weather is not looking favorable, don't go and/or on the return, stay an extra night. That cost and the gas have to be far less than more change fees.

I would love to drive through the Adirondack mountains again but don't think you have any issues with the mountains of I-89 as you are only skirting the Whites.
This is looking better all of the time. The delay/stay option is doable on WN and not DL.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Did you call Delta and tell them that you're sick and can't travel. They'll probably waive the change fee and while that won't account for a fare difference, you'll still come out ahead.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njf1003
Did you call Delta and tell them that you're sick and can't travel. They'll probably waive the change fee and while that won't account for a fare difference, you'll still come out ahead.
Yes, finally. I tried to call in the afternoon yesterday and the hold wait was 4+ hours. I tried again at 10 p.m. After 1:15 on hold I got an agent and said I needed to change a flight because I was recovering from the flu. He volunteered to waive the fees but needed the information where he could contact the doctor if needed. I had seen a doctor and had the needed info. He processed everything and by midnight it was all good. Yes, the fare increase was still significant, $260, but better than buying a new RT on WN and taking the risk of driving.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I was not at all bothered by this. The work was firm, the dates were firm. All was well with the world and then I came down with the flu and can not travel. The disaster begins. To change the flight, I have a $250 change fee times two seats. Yes, that is $700 in change fees.
Delta's standard domestic change fee on discounted seats is $200, not $250. 2x$250 is not $700. Some creative rounding? Did they tell you you'd have to pay the fee twice as a COS passenger?

Yes, WN's policy of no change fees is great when one personally is on the hook for fees.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Yes, finally. I tried to call in the afternoon yesterday and the hold wait was 4+ hours. I tried again at 10 p.m. After 1:15 on hold I got an agent and said I needed to change a flight because I was recovering from the flu. He volunteered to waive the fees but needed the information where he could contact the doctor if needed. I had seen a doctor and had the needed info. He processed everything and by midnight it was all good. Yes, the fare increase was still significant, $260, but better than buying a new RT on WN and taking the risk of driving.
Glad it "worked out" for you. I'm sure the Dr would fill the airline in on your ills.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta's standard domestic change fee on discounted seats is $200, not $250. 2x$250 is not $700. Some creative rounding? Did they tell you you'd have to pay the fee twice as a COS passenger?

Yes, WN's policy of no change fees is great when one personally is on the hook for fees.
Sorry, change fee plus fare increase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.