Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice: 997 points needed for 2018 companion pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)

Well I've gotten to now and need 997 points for a companion pass -- I have 109,003 points today. Is there any possible way (aside from taking a flight) to earn the last 1,000 points? I'm flying on SW next week but on points only.

Thank you very much.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
How much would it cost to change next week from points to cash? Would that trip get you the required points?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
WN Credit card spend? (I guess not). RR shopping, rental car or 800 flowers? - not sure if CPQP though - others will know.

Definitely switch (one way) if not , it could be reasonable if mid week.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Rental car give 600.

Hotel gives 600.

Check RR Dining. If there is a nearby restaurant you like, go there for a meal and buy a big gift card on the way out.

Go through the Southwest Shopping portal on the Southwest website and buy some stuff.

If I were you, I would go over by at least 1000 at this point. You do not want to be fighting over 600 points next month to qualify.

Or just find some place with a low fare and take a quickie trip for a day or two. The most foolproof method.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Rental car give 600.​​​​​​
Sometimes Rental Car points take a long time or don't post at all.
Critterlynn likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
Originally Posted by joshua362
WN Credit card spend? (I guess not). RR shopping, rental car or 800 flowers? - not sure if CPQP though - others will know.

Definitely switch (one way) if not , it could be reasonable if mid week.
i was told by sw customer service last week that buying 1800Flowers would post in a day would give 1000 points (I did buy them) but it did not. Also have 2 spg stays at 600 points each but those have not potsted either. Worst case is to do a one way and pay for it in lieu of points but that’s $300 so its worst case. Any other ideas?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:24 pm

Try to book a RR points earning hotel night ASAP on www.southwesthotels.com in whatever city you currently are in. Go to the hotel, check in, check out next day and you got your points. Random check of hotels in Las Vegas for example shows several hotels at $51 to $59 earning 1000 points. In my city SMF, I can see $69 for 1000 points. With tax it will still be under $100 and my experience these tend to post pretty quickly after checkout. My last hotel stay posted in two days after checkout. Of course cities like NYC and SF will be a little more challenging to find cheap hotels.

Or buy a $1000 SW gift card at SW website and use for future travel. SW gift cards have no expiration dates.

Or buy a $1000+ laptop or other item with your SW credit card and resell on eBay to get money back or even make a profit.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:44 pm

Unless you have a credit card statement that should cut by 12/31 the only sure way is to pay for a flight.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azoomee

i was told by sw customer service last week that buying 1800Flowers would post in a day would give 1000 points (I did buy them) but it did not. Also have 2 spg stays at 600 points each but those have not potsted either. Worst case is to do a one way and pay for it in lieu of points but that’s $300 so its worst case. Any other ideas?
Forget 1-800-FLOWERS. They have changed over the years whether and how many points are CP-qualifying to where it is utterly confusing.

Your SPG stays should give points, but I have never done that. Might read over :

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapid.../starwood.html

If you had some other hotel stay for which you never got credit, apply retroactively. Choice, Marriott, whatever.

And yes, car rentals sometimes never show up.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Unless you have a credit card statement that should cut by 12/31 the only sure way is to pay for a flight.
Not totally true if flying is not an option or too expensive. Agree with the credit card cutoff but not so with the hotels booking. That's independent of CC charge and totally dependent on check out date. Heck, you can pay the hotel in cash and still get your points. Just make sure to enter your RR number at booking.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
Or buy a $1000 SW gift card at SW website and use for future travel. SW gift cards have no expiration dates.
Does this work for the OP? Does it get points at the time of purchase if it isn't on a SWA credit card that closes by 12/31?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rove312
Does this work for the OP? Does it get points at the time of purchase if it isn't on a SWA credit card that closes by 12/31?
No, will not work.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
Not totally true if flying is not an option or too expensive. Agree with the credit card cutoff but not so with the hotels booking. That's independent of CC charge and totally dependent on check out date. Heck, you can pay the hotel in cash and still get your points. Just make sure to enter your RR number at booking.
There is no guarantee any partner activity posts in the next 8 days, A cc statement closing by 12/31 ( and the charges posting on that statement) or taking a paid flight are the only ways to guarantee the points post by 12/31/17

I never mentioned hotels stay or anything else as a guaranteed option where the points post by 12/31
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
If you are in a hurry, and can make a revenue run, I can tell you that this morning I was 900 points from CP so I had booked a short RT BWI-ORF-BWI. Each leg was about 33 minutes. The points posted about two hours after I got home, so about three hours after the flight.
Lost likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
There is no guarantee any partner activity posts in the next 8 days, A cc statement closing by 12/31 ( and the charges posting on that statement) or taking a paid flight are the only ways to guarantee the points post by 12/31/17

I never mentioned hotels stay or anything else as a guaranteed option where the points post by 12/31
I mentioned hotel stay because OP asked "Is there any possible way (aside from taking a flight) to earn the last 1,000 points?". So he was asking for options besides flying. Yes, nothing is guaranteed beyond flying but flying is not always an option so you must look at best chance alternatives. I gave the one that's worked pretty well for me over the last 20 hotel bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.