Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for mechanical failure

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Had to stay last night in Dallas due to missed connection, WN fault for mechanical. Received free hotel + $100 voucher + flight out in the morning.

Flight out in the morning I was C-23. For the flight I missed, I was in the A group. Seems to me that my seating position should be no worse and in fact, priority boarding for the next flight should be a perk/compensation for a missed flight due to WN's fault. (Not a missed flight for your own fault, of course).

Counter personnel told me, "there is nothing we can do, the computer spits out the number." Is this correct? Could they have given me priority boarding if they wanted to? Should they have?

We had a 3 hour delay KCI to DAL ( MSP/MCI/DAL) on Friday afternoon 5/6 and they gave every passenger a $100 LUV Voucher. Not a bad deal since we paid about 4800 WN points for both of us using CP

MCI has to be the worst major airport in America, terrible place to be stuck but we did see k9 drug drug training as the PD planted a bag and had dogs sniff it out. The dogs sniffed a lot of bags so good thing nobody brought a joint in their luggage or it would have been a bad day for them, lol

Last edited by flyer4512; May 8, 2018 at 7:18 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
We had a 3 hour delay KCI to DAL ( MSP/KCI/DAL) on Friday afternoon 5/6 and they gave every passenger a $100 LUV Voucher. Not a bad deal since we paid about 4800 WN points for both of us using CP

KCI has to be the worst major airport in America, terrible place to be stuck but we did see k9 drug drug training as the PD planted a bag and had dogs sniff it out. The dogs sniffed a lot of bags so good thing nobody brought a joint in their luggage or it would have been a bad day for them, lol
Most likely that was a bomb sniffing dog, looking for explosives -- not marijuana.
Old May 7, 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Most likely that was a bomb sniffing dog, looking for explosives -- not marijuana.

The cop said it was drugs but didn't say what drug was in the bag.........I figured a bomb also being an airport in KC..........not exactly a cartel hotbed
Old May 21, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by MrMan
The positions are already given out. The equivalent on Delta would be having a Mech on Delta, booked the next day, and having Delta bump a aisle passenger to a middle for your inconvenience wanting an aisle
For some reason this came up again in my notifications, and it made me realize a much shorter way to express my original concept.

If I can buy a better seating/boarding position on WN, they sure as heck can give it to me for free due to mx problem.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Is there ANY sort of standard for compensation due to MX delays? On my recent trip to FL encountered a 6+ hr MX delay in LAS. Eventually had to wait for a new plane to come in from MDW before we could leave (i.e. they chose an inbound aircraft for the swap instead of one already at LAS). Got into MCO at 11pm instead of 5pm. They did print $200 vouchers for everyone on the plane and said that was the max they could do at the airport but I could try to write in.

Wrote in as soon as I got back home and got a response back basically saying, "we're sorry", "the vouchers were a gesture", and "we don't provide specific compensation for lost time". $200 seems pretty paltry for 6 hours stuck in an airport terminal, especially when I've received the same for shorter delays in the past.

Now on the flip side, I hit a WX delay leaving MCO and missed my connection back to SNA (last of the night). They proactively rebooked for the next morning, but got them to switch me onto the last flight into LAX instead. They once again handed out vouchers for $200 which made no sense, and I had no expectation for, since it was weather... Ended up getting home only about 3 hours later than expected.

Should I be pressing for more for the 6 hr delay, or is that as high as WN goes? (note that this is my 2nd 5+ hr MX delay in the last 6 months on WN)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Wrote in as soon as I got back home and got a response back basically saying, "we're sorry", "the vouchers were a gesture", and "we don't provide specific compensation for lost time". $200 seems pretty paltry for 6 hours stuck in an airport terminal, especially when I've received the same for shorter delays in the past.
Look at it another way - maybe they overpaid you for the shorter wait.

They gave you a $200 voucher. If you want to base it on time, you received $33 an hour to sit at the airport. You got home the same night. What do you want? Ownership of the company?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a mistake to consider these customer service gestures as compensation. They are not. WN does not pay "compensation" for delays. It issuers goodwill vouchers and that is it.

Delay expenses are covered by travel insurance, including business interruption insurance if you are losing time.

In fairness, US carriers don't pay compensation for delays other than on departures from the EU, Israel, and a few other places, where there are local laws requiring it.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Now that I have A-List and understand how it works at the end of the A group, what should have happened is shockingly obvious. Just give me A-List for that flight only. Even if you have to handwrite it on a piece of paper if the computer won't spit it out properly.

So much debate for such a simple solution, which wouldn't mess up the "number system" at all.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Now that I have A-List and understand how it works at the end of the A group, what should have happened is shockingly obvious. Just give me A-List for that flight only. Even if you have to handwrite it on a piece of paper if the computer won't spit it out properly.

So much debate for such a simple solution, which wouldn't mess up the "number system" at all.
It's simpler than that. They could let you board anywhere from A0.1 to whatever your BP says. But that's not really the question, now, is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.