Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Drink Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Best use of Drink Certificates

I have four flights coming up on WN 2 to PHX and 2 to ABQ via PHX before the drink certificates end. What is the best use of the certificates? IE the new Sparkling Wine, Deep Eddy Vodka, Tanquary Gin etc?

What is the featured beer for the winter? I only see the Fall Menu so I imagine it changes on or around December 20th?

Thanks,
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
I have four flights coming up on WN 2 to PHX and 2 to ABQ via PHX before the drink certificates end. What is the best use of the certificates? IE the new Sparkling Wine, Deep Eddy Vodka, Tanquary Gin etc?

What is the featured beer for the winter? I only see the Fall Menu so I imagine it changes on or around December 20th?

Thanks,
New 'seasonal' is Blue Moon, which seems to be stocked already. The recent beer changes to the standard menu don't appear to have been supplied yet. I'm always pretty content with the Dewars, which remains available. I tried the sparkling wine because I read here that it was pretty good - I'm not really a wine fan, but I have oodles of drink certs so I figured it was worth a try. I was predictably disappointed, but that says nothing about the quality - it's just not my thing. Might be alright with the fake orange juice, I'll try that one of these days. I enjoyed a couple hot chocolates with Bailey's this weekend, it's just cheap powdered stuff but was just fine for free.

The best use of drink certs, in my book, is as a bribe to ask someone to keep walking when I try to save half the LUV seat. I've also given a few to FAs to use as bargaining chips when someone 'needs' others to move so they can sit with their family. FAs only take my certs for drinks perhaps half the time, so I'm not using them up nearly as fast as I expected.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
New 'seasonal' is Blue Moon, which seems to be stocked already. The recent beer changes to the standard menu don't appear to have been supplied yet. I'm always pretty content with the Dewars, which remains available. I tried the sparkling wine because I read here that it was pretty good - I'm not really a wine fan, but I have oodles of drink certs so I figured it was worth a try. I was predictably disappointed, but that says nothing about the quality - it's just not my thing. Might be alright with the fake orange juice, I'll try that one of these days. I enjoyed a couple hot chocolates with Bailey's this weekend, it's just cheap powdered stuff but was just fine for free.

The best use of drink certs, in my book, is as a bribe to ask someone to keep walking when I try to save half the LUV seat. I've also given a few to FAs to use as bargaining chips when someone 'needs' others to move so they can sit with their family. FAs only take my certs for drinks perhaps half the time, so I'm not using them up nearly as fast as I expected.
Thanks for your reply. I will stick to the Gin or other Spirit. Is the Blue Moon the special Winter one or just the regular one?

Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:37 pm

Thanks for your reply. I will stick to the Gin or other Spirit. Is the Blue Moon the special Winter one or just the regular one?

Happy Holidays!
I'd have told you with a fair amount of confidence that it was the regular one, but now that I'm thinking about it, it seems more likely that they're pushing a winter. I didn't order it, it was just what I was offered when I was told the Lagunitas wasn't available yet and the Leinenkugel Oktoberfest was already phased out. I'm sure someone will be flying very soon and can confirm for you.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
I'd have told you with a fair amount of confidence that it was the regular one, but now that I'm thinking about it, it seems more likely that they're pushing a winter. I didn't order it, it was just what I was offered when I was told the Lagunitas wasn't available yet and the Leinenkugel Oktoberfest was already phased out. I'm sure someone will be flying very soon and can confirm for you.
Thanks for the reply! I hope to hear about the winter beer(: Have a Happy and safe Holiday Season!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:42 pm

Happy Holidays!
It's the regular blue moon.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The seasonal beer I saw listed on flights last week is Lagunitas 12th of Never.

I often buy a beer with my drink coupons, either the seasonal option if I like it or Fat Tire otherwise. I really don't sweat whether this represents maximum value for redemption. I order whatever drink I think I will find most satisfying at the time.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:08 pm

Best use? Send them to me
Bruce Cornelius likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The seasonal beer I saw listed on flights last week is Lagunitas 12th of Never.

I often buy a beer with my drink coupons, either the seasonal option if I like it or Fat Tire otherwise. I really don't sweat whether this represents maximum value for redemption. I order whatever drink I think I will find most satisfying at the time.
The Blue Moon is the seasonal beer, replacing Oktoberfest.

Lagunitas is permanently replacing Bud Light in the standard beer selection. This is why it is taking longer to see Lagunitas across the fleet - it is being stocked as Bud Light is depleted.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

Thanks,
​​​​​​Wouldn't the best use be to get the drink you like the most?
NextTrip likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:39 pm

Thanks,
Don't they honor the expired ones?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:28 am

All drinks are $5, regardless if it's liquor or beer. So there's no 'Best use'.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The best use, for me, would be to order something I like. Although I can be OCD about "optimizing" lots of things in my life, the differences in the retail cost of the various liquors wouldn't play into my decision.

I usually use the coupons for a bloody (morning) or whiskey & diet coke (later in the day). Unless I'm really in a beer mood that day.

I almost never drink wine on an airplane unless it's international premium cabin and the airline has taken care to select wines fit for human consumption. Most wine served by domestic U.S. carriers isn't fit to cook with.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:45 pm

Sell it to the guy next to your for $4
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Everything is $5 so personal preference. Though Wild Turkey comes in at 101 proof, well ahead of anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.