Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Last-minute Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Companion Pass Last-minute Question

Hi all,
I have a question about CP qualification (it's my first time getting close). I have 94,121 Companion qualifying points in my account, and an RR Visa payment that will post on 12/24 for $8352, for a total of 102,473. Is there any way to get another 8K points to post before the end of the year, short of applying for another card?

Grateful for any advice or pointers!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by hbouta
Hi all,
I have a question about CP qualification (it's my first time getting close). I have 94,121 Companion qualifying points in my account, and an RR Visa payment that will post on 12/24 for $8352, for a total of 102,473. Is there any way to get another 8K points to post before the end of the year, short of applying for another card?

Odd suggestion, but maybe consider flying Southwest in the next couple of weeks?
SCGustafson likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Hi all,

I don't think another card would work, as it is highly unlikely anything would post before the end of the year. I think your best bet is to spend another 8K before your statement closes on 12//24 (Merry Christmas!) or as mentioned above, fly prior to 1/1/18. BS fares earn 12X the fare in points.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I don't think another card would work, as it is highly unlikely anything would post before the end of the year. I think your best bet is to spend another 8K before your statement closes on 12//24 (Merry Christmas!) or as mentioned above, fly prior to 1/1/18. BS fares earn 12X the fare in points.
Silly question: will the charges in my current statement (the one that closes) on 12/24 count for this year, even though that bill won't be paid till 1/24? Or is it just the bill that will be paid 12/24? In other words, do points get added to your CP-qualifying total when the statement is issued or when you pay the bill?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:42 pm

Silly question: will the charges in my current statement (the one that closes) on 12/24 count for this year, even though that bill won't be paid till 1/24? Or is it just the bill that will be paid 12/24? In other words, do points get added to your CP-qualifying total when the statement is issued or when you pay the bill?
The points on your 12/24 statement will post for 2017/2018 CP
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
The points on your 12/24 statement will post for 2017/2018 CP
Thanks, all, for this help! Just to clarify, that's the 12/24 statement, correct? In other words, everything I charge up to 12/24 (ish) will count for CP. Is that right?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for this help! Just to clarify, that's the 12/24 statement, correct? In other words, everything I charge up to 12/24 (ish) will count for CP. Is that right?
And does that mean that the $8352 I'm going to pay on 12/24 has already been counted towards my 94,121 total?...
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:17 pm

As long as the charge posts in time to make that statement, charges go pending first.

And does that mean that the $8352 I'm going to pay on 12/24 has already been counted towards my 94,121 total?...
If the statement has closed with the $8352 then yes................you can log into SW and your points activity.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyer4512
As long as the charge posts in time to make that statement, charges go pending first.

If the statement has closed with the $8352 then yes................you can log into SW and your points activity.
Thanks, flyer4512 -- I guess I can't have it both ways. That means more like 16k to make the 110k, not gonna happen
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:31 pm

Thanks, flyer4512 -- I guess I can't have it both ways. That means more like 16k to make the 110k, not gonna happen

A couple options, if you have the $$ buy 16K worth of gift cards that you will use. As long as you use them all you are doing is floating the $$.

Try for another SW credit card and ask that the statement close in 2017..............not sure it will work but not much to lose
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: WN A+/Companion, UA Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Interesting thread. I switched cold turkey to Southwest this year after being dedicated to Continental/United for many years--tired of being crammed into a "regional jet" for most of my flights, the rising fees to use points, change fees, and decided to make a change. I recently made A-List Preferred and now started paying attention to Companion.

I never read the fine print, and now realize that tier qualifying points were not required for Companion. Ugh. I could have just applied for a Southwest Chase Visa a couple of months ago and made it. I have just applied, but won't have the card until next week, and my closing date is 1/3, and my 40k bonus would not post until 2018. So, no help there. Looking at other options.

I am flying Southwest a few more times in December, but still not enough. I have calculated it'll cost me $1500 to do 3 round-trip Business Select "mileage runs" from HOU to DAL in one day--flights leave every 30 min, and make Companion. (The double points now with A-List Preferred will help.) Not sure if it's worth it, but still contemplating.

As a relatively new Southwest flyer, I think Southwest could do a better job of making it clearer on the My Account->Snapshot page that Companion are not tier qualifying points.

-Greg
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: WN A+/Companion, UA Gold, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Exec
Wow, scratch that mileage run... it looks like the 100% points bonus for A-List Preferred do not apply for Companion Qualification.

-Greg
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boudin
Interesting thread. I switched cold turkey to Southwest this year after being dedicated to Continental/United for many years--tired of being crammed into a "regional jet" for most of my flights, the rising fees to use points, change fees, and decided to make a change. I recently made A-List Preferred and now started paying attention to Companion.

I never read the fine print, and now realize that tier qualifying points were not required for Companion. Ugh. I could have just applied for a Southwest Chase Visa a couple of months ago and made it. I have just applied, but won't have the card until next week, and my closing date is 1/3, and my 40k bonus would not post until 2018. So, no help there. Looking at other options.

I am flying Southwest a few more times in December, but still not enough. I have calculated it'll cost me $1500 to do 3 round-trip Business Select "mileage runs" from HOU to DAL in one day--flights leave every 30 min, and make Companion. (The double points now with A-List Preferred will help.) Not sure if it's worth it, but still contemplating.

As a relatively new Southwest flyer, I think Southwest could do a better job of making it clearer on the My Account->Snapshot page that Companion are not tier qualifying points.

-Greg
I think it might be better that your new card posts in January.

It looks like you accrue WN points at a fast clip. So if you continue, it seems you will get the CP maybe mid-year 2018 (or earlier), and have it until end-2019.

If you were to somehow rush and get the CP now, it would only be good through end-2018.

Exactly how many CP points do you have right now and how many more are coming this year from already-planned flights? Do you pay for your own WN flights, and if so, how much do you spend a year?

flyer4512 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by boudin

-Greg
As long as 2 years has passed and you are under 5/24 you can grab a 2nd SW card which will get you to 82K CPQP or 104K if you get the business version of te card as it's 60K bonus points. You will be well on your way to getting CP for 2018 and 2019

There is no need to complete your 110k in 2017
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:09 am

I don't think your question was answered clearly, but someone correct me if I am wrong...

If I understand your current situation...you have a Visa payment that will post on 12/24--that will count towards your 2017/2018 CP and may already have, you need to check your account. Your current spending/statement that will close on 12/24 will also count.

I believe the points are credited to your account at the statement closing date...someone correct me if I am wrong...

Last edited by pvan; Dec 14, 2017 at 5:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.