Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How does A-List Standby work on Connecting Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

New A-lister here, never used the same-day standby benefit before. My wife is designated as my companion and we're scheduled to fly on a nonstop from MDW-SMF. There's a flight leaving earlier in the day we'd prefer to take that routes MDW-DEN-SMF. I assume we would need to fly standby on both segments, is that correct? If so, it sounds like there's the possibility that we could make it to DEN but not all the way to SMF that day.

Does anybody have any experience doing this same thing?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:49 pm

The policy states that standby only applies to a companion that also has A-List status, although many folks, self included, have been successful with a non-status companion.

Bigger problem is, I think the policy also states that the flight type has to match, meaning; non-stop to non-stop, or connection to connection, not a mix of non-stop to connection.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: WN A-, CP
I have done same day standby a few times on connecting flights. You are standby for ALL legs. This bit me once where I wasn't able to clear on a connection in DEN (ironically) but was only stuck for an hour or so. I'm not aware of anything in the policy that states you can't change the flight type, but would love additional clarification if there is specific language about that. As with anything, there's also a real chance the gate agent may use their discretion (positively or negatively for you).

Personally I think it could be a bold move to try to standby connect with more than 1 person. Not to say it wouldn't be viable given routes/timing/alternatives etc. but I'd certainly have a pause before making that jump!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the data points. It sounds like it would be best to standby on an even earlier flight that goes through SAN instead of DEN since there are flights at least 1x per hour from SAN-SMF, compared to just a few from DEN-SMF. That way we have less of a chance of getting stranded.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I was able to get cleared on both legs standby SJC-SNA-PHX @SJC a little while ago, thanks to a CS agent who went the extra mile. (So it is possible- but I'm sure I also had fortuitous timing, as it was very early on a Saturday, but she's still getting one of the Kick-Asses I just re-earned once I run into her again.)
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
FWIW, I was able to get cleared on both legs standby SJC-SNA-PHX @SJC a little while ago, thanks to a CS agent who went the extra mile. (So it is possible- but I'm sure I also had fortuitous timing, as it was very early on a Saturday, but she's still getting one of the Kick-Asses I just re-earned once I run into her again.)
Was your original flight with the same SNA connection? The policy says "between the same city pairs" so I think that's where folks are thinking a non-stop can't be used as standby for a connecting flight, and vice-versa.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've also been cleared on connecting flights, and one of them I know the connection was completely full, so I was surprised that happened. I don't know what the agent was doing to make it happen. If you go this route, make sure they put you on the standby list for the connecting flight, I'm not sure that's automatic. I was also surprised that the standby list is first come for A and A+, so you don't get priority on standby for being A+.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ksuwldkat
. I was also surprised that the standby list is first come for A and A+, so you don't get priority on standby for being A+.
I'm surprised to hear this, but as someone who would literally never have enough paid segments (or BS fares) per year to hit A+, I'm glad to know it. Makes their ability to actially clear folks who show up really early make more sense too - I couldn't quite make that add up in my head.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:32 pm

I wonder where a "Companion" without A or A+ statue clears? After all the statue folks, but before other upgraders? So maybe won't clear if plane is full, although hubby (A-lister) already cleared? Then what?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:56 pm

The policy says A+ gets priority:

Free same-day standby is not available at Southwest® kiosks. Please see a Customer Service Agent at the airport for this benefit. Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available. On flights that do not meet these qualifications, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will receive priority standby and will be required to pay the difference in fare if a seat becomes available. A-List Preferred Members will be prioritized ahead of A-List Members.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
The policy says A+ gets priority:

Free same-day standby is not available at Southwest® kiosks. Please see a Customer Service Agent at the airport for this benefit. Free same-day standby will be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members traveling prior to the original scheduled departure, between the same city pairs, on the original date of travel, where a seat is available. On flights that do not meet these qualifications, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will receive priority standby and will be required to pay the difference in fare if a seat becomes available. A-List Preferred Members will be prioritized ahead of A-List Members.
And where do "Companions" fit in to clearing as standby?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:55 pm

Was your original flight with the same SNA connection?
Nah. My original routing was SJC-PHX NS in the mid-afternoon (I was meeting a cow-orker that afternoon in PHX). The night before I found out someone I knew was going SJC-SNA. I looked it up, and yup, there was a (published) route SJC-SNA-PHX using the same flight they were on (early am). So I ended up clearing the early-am SJC-SNA and the SNA-PHX at the same time (thanks Renee @SJC!). I got to PHX much earlier than I'd needed to, but I just camped out in a PP lounge 'til the cow-orker arrived.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:59 pm

The policy says A+ gets priority
Beat me to it. There's been days I've checked into the SB list at a gate, and seeing a number of people standing around also trying to SB (some presumably A-List), and I've been the one lucky enough to get the last seat.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:52 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NextTrip
And where do "Companions" fit in to clearing as standby?
No priority. Sometimes your companion will be given a break by the gate agent, sometimes not. We once boarded after about 10 standbys, but we made the flight.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by nsx
No priority. Sometimes your companion will be given a break by the gate agent, sometimes not. We once boarded after about 10 standbys, but we made the flight.
Then what happens if the A-lister (Companion Pass holder in this case) clears and the companion doesn't because there are not enough seats available on the flight? Does the companion have to pay full fare to get to their destination because they aren't on the flight with the Companion Pass holder? Or do they not clear either of them unless there are enough seats for all standbys?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.