Search

Power-Outlets?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Power-Outlets?

Any idea if WN has a time-frame/even considering adding USB/AC power ports to their aircraft, especially the MAX's? They are soon going to be at a competitive disadvantage as most airlines besides NK/F9/G4 will have them.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:32 pm

It's very unlikely that Southwest will add power outlets anytime soon, if ever. They completed seating retrofits for the entire fleet and did not add them at that time, and they have stated that this is not something they plan to do in the future. Adding power would add weight to the plane, which would increase fuel costs and therefore reduce profits.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:46 am

With BYOD/FreeTv, etc, not having power for long flights will be a competitive disadvantage, for sure. I've spent quite a bit time flying Delta and have come to love the power ports and flexibility they provide.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:39 am

The simple thing to do is to buy a battery pack with enough power for a long trip.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The simple thing to do is to buy a battery pack with enough power for a long trip.
...........thus, adding to the weight of the aircraft.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Does WN really even fly any long trips?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Does WN really even fly any long trips?
BWI - OAK, SMF are 6 hours, once they start flying to HW they'll have even more flights that are longer that the battery on most devices can last.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
BWI - OAK, SMF are 6 hours, once they start flying to HW they'll have even more flights that are longer that the battery on most devices can last.
The percentage of long flights on WN is so minimal that it is probably not worth it.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
^^ That is what I was thinking.

Best bet would be just to get a battery bank to charge any electronic devices.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:23 pm

I doubt added weight was the clincher. Power ports come under the heading of follow-the-herd amenities.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I doubt added weight was the clincher. Power ports come under the heading of follow-the-herd amenities.
?!

Anyone paying attention to how WN operates these days would have to laugh at the suggestion that they would make a decision based on "being different" vs actual cost savings.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LegalTender
You could look at all of the passengers charging phones in the gate area - at least those gate areas that have power - to see how people might value AC or USB power aboard aircraft.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
?!

Anyone paying attention to how WN operates these days would have to laugh at the suggestion that they would make a decision based on "being different" vs actual cost savings.
Short of truly imposing savings, "no frills" branding upstages. I doubt "actual savings" is the axis.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DCP2016
They are soon going to be at a competitive disadvantage as most airlines besides NK/F9/G4 will have them.
I don't think they're too worried about that.

They have different competitive advantages that, for their target market, more than make up for the no frills in flight experience.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think they're too worried about that.

They have different competitive advantages that, for their target market, more than make up for the no frills in flight experience.
This. Let me bring my wife on board for free every time I fly, free checked bags, no change fee...I'll happily get by without on-board power outlets or meals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.