Power-Outlets?

Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:31 pm

No - add's weight and becomes a MX nightmare as well. Now you have people who will complain when it doesn't work.

Powerbanks are so cheap now (I just got one that will charge and iPhone like 4 times for $25 bucks) that everyone should have one for their own life anyways. So many applications outside an airplane.

However WN has a lot more "long" flights than people are alluding to. There's a ton of MDW/BWI/MCO/FLL to DEN, LAS, SAN, LAX, OAK etc. Even some DAL west coast flights are 3 hours plus.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:48 pm

Just one more think to fix when it breaks.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Installing the power outlets is expensive. So is keeping them in service. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad idea.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Short of truly imposing savings, "no frills" branding upstages. I doubt "actual savings" is the axis.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. To the point of this being one of the oddest things I've read on here in recent memory.

They've repeatedly stated the official reason, and it's exactly what I said (with the slight differentiation in the official story being extra weight = higher fares, vs extra weight = less profits.)

Southwest hasn't marketed itself as "no frills" in years. The focus has changed to "we do things differently," most likely due to the overall increase in fares and resultant perception of WN as no longer a low-fare / no frills carrier.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:13 pm

I think the upkeep required is honestly a bigger factor than the weight - not having power onboard means I bring a pretty heavy laptop charger block, I can't be the only one that brings my own equipment.

Cell phone battery packs are incredibly cheap - for some reason, I can usually get one at Walgreens for cheaper than their cheapest USB cable.

Last edited by synergistic; Dec 6, 2017 at 10:18 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest hasn't marketed itself as "no frills" in years. The focus has changed to "we do things differently," most likely due to the overall increase in fares and resultant perception of WN as no longer a low-fare / no frills carrier.
They also no longer tout "legendary low fares" but that doesn't mean they abandoned the marketing perception. Southwest tends its roots meticulously. The 'give-something-get-something' vibe is birthright.

Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
This is least important first word problem I consider when I fly....
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Joel Blitzer
This is least important first word problem I consider when I fly....
Exactly. Read your Life magazine and savor those low fares.

Power ports on planes require ten or so Chevy Volt batteries, and an inverter the size of a large refrigerator (with active power factor correction to prevent the extreme sine waves).

Nerds can keep their electronics in their Targus bags.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
No - add's weight and becomes a MX nightmare as well. Now you have people who will complain when it doesn't work.

Powerbanks are so cheap now (I just got one that will charge and iPhone like 4 times for $25 bucks) that everyone should have one for their own life anyways. So many applications outside an airplane.

However WN has a lot more "long" flights than people are alluding to. There's a ton of MDW/BWI/MCO/FLL to DEN, LAS, SAN, LAX, OAK etc. Even some DAL west coast flights are 3 hours plus.
Those flights aren't that long. Almost every device can hold a charge for 4 hours.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Semi-agree and semi-disagree. I agree it adds increased weight/maintenance costs, and I've been on fairly newer aircraft where the power-outlets didn't work. While my phone and iPad would be able to hold a charge my laptop has a very small battery and won't be able to last more than a couple of hours. First world problem and my fault for buying a laptop like it, but is just nice to have power available.

Also WN is trying to market themselves toward business travelers, they want power too, although again WN is a LCC, so I guess they really don't owe anyone anything.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Those flights aren't that long. Almost every device can hold a charge for 4 hours.
Well the problem isn't just for the flight, but also having power available for when you land, especially on an early flight with the rest of your day still ahead of you that may not have time for charging against a wall.

But this is why I have a portable charger that charges my phone 4 times.
LegalTender and Marko123 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
How much weight would USB ports add vs. having 110V outlets? I would imagine the former would add a lot less weight (and would likely be the more frequently used option if there are both available) but I could be wrong on that.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
How much weight would USB ports add vs. having 110V outlets? I would imagine the former would add a lot less weight (and would likely be the more frequently used option if there are both available) but I could be wrong on that.
Maintenance. As much as weight. I run a small office and a household and the number of dodgy USB ports/chargers I troubleshoot is at least a dozen each year. I tend to agree that the weight of one refrigerator-sized battery is less than the weight of 140 carry-on devices, but not having the maintenance is priceless.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by photomikey
I tend to agree that the weight of one refrigerator-sized battery is less than the weight of 140 carry-on devices, but not having the maintenance is priceless.
There is no battery. According to manufacturer Advanced Electronics Systems in Kirkland, WA., all power comes from onboard aircraft generators. Each 3-seat row has a small box to convert 400hz to 60hz. Along with wiring and one 110/USB outlet per row, the overall system adds 300-500 pounds depending on aircraft size. Because a single-class configuration means more rows, WN's weight may be greater than UA/DL/AA.

Maintenance calls are few, they claim. Outages occur when someone replacing a seat accidentally cuts or disconnects a wire.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:31 pm

Wait, the manufacturer claims maintenance calls are few?
Carpboy823 and synergistic like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.