Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What to do when FA refuses FAA approved carry-on Stroller?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K

I had a very bizarre experience on Southwest this morning when I attempted to board a flight from SJC-PDX on Southwest with my BabyZen Yoyo stroller. This stroller is FAA approved to be a carry-on, and I've brought it as a carry-on for over 25+ flights in the past 2 years. However, this morning, the FA (he claimed to be the Purser), flatly refused to allow the stroller on board, saying that ALL strollers are not allowed to be carry-on.

I know this to be false as there are many instances where people bring on their compact stroller, and BabyZen even advertises this stroller as FAA approved to fit in the overhead bins. The craziest thing was that this FA escalated the situation by calling the Pilot and saying that there was a problem passenger (me) that he needed to deal with. So, the pilot comes out, and sees the ridiculousness of the situation and goes back out to the Gate and gets the Gate Agent and a Southwest Customer Service Supervisor.

Both GA and CSR Supervisor said that this stroller is approved to be brought on-board as a carry-on. So, end of story right?? NO!! He still refused and became agitated and STILL refused to let me on-board with the stroller. This FA even insinuated that I am disobeying his order, attempted to assault him(???? the only time there was physical contact was when he suddenly blocked my entrance on the plane and I walked into him confused.), and that I can be kicked off the flight. I was kind of stunned at this guy's behavior and adamant refusal even though both GA and CSR said the stroller was allowed on-board I was calm the entire time and stated to him that this was an approved stroller to be a carry-on. I have no idea why he was so aggressive and belligerent to me. He even got into an argument with the CSR supervisor about the carry-on.

I did not want to gate-check it for a variety of reasons (including not wanting to damage the stroller, the ease of access to the stroller, the whole point of the stroller being a carry-on, and knowing that it is a allowed carry-on). This situation was delaying the flight so I just told the Gate Agent that I'll gate check it, and asked for a tag.

Anyways, I felt extremely helpless the entire time. What else could I have done in this situation?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:25 pm

Boy, you must have been very frustrated! Was the stroller open or folded up? How many other carry-on bags did you have? Just trying to think of what else you could have done differently.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Pentech
Anyways, I felt extremely helpless the entire time. What else could I have done in this situation?
You should simply obey and check the stroller.

The flight/cabin crews do have the final authority. Having the FAA approval does not mean the airline must allow it onboard, especially when it is not for medical purposes. By insisting to bring the stroller onboard, it was the exact definition of interference with flight crew members and attendants.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by garykung
The flight/cabin crews do have the final authority. .
Power hungry ego trippin FA's can not just make up things. You had a Pilot, GA, and CSR non of which were backing up the FA. Dude was a jackares plain and simple and from what you described totally out of line.
msglsmo and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PAX62
You had a Pilot, GA, and CSR non of which were backing up the FA.
GAs and CSRs have no such authority when you compare with flight/cabin crews.

Beside - this is OP's one-sided story. While OP might be correct, OP should contact WN CS rather than attempt to argue with the FA. What OP has done was unwise and should be avoided.

Bottom line - OP was at fault regardless OP was right or not.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:53 am

A+, 50+ flights a year and can’t recall last time I saw a stroller come on board, I assumed they were all stopped at the plane door
jjmiller69 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is no FAA certification or approval process for strollers in overhead bins. There is one for child seats for use on an airplane which is perhaps what you are thinking of. The FAA only has approved weight limits for overhead bins. However, airlines have maximum dimensions for carry-on items for stowage in overhead bins (these are set by the airlines, not the FAA). For many airlines, it is 45 linear inches (22 x 14 x 9 in). For Southwest it happens to be 50 linear inches (24 x 16 x 10 in) or 127 centimeters (61 x 41 x 28 cm) including handles and wheels. The YoYo is claimed to meet airlines carry-on overhead bin storage dimensions. While it does meet the total linear dimension requirement, it does fall just outside of the width requirement at 52 x 44 x 18 cm if you want to be technical.

Here's the full statement from the BabyZen website --

The size of a folded YOYO+ (52 x 44 x 18 cm) is less than or equal to most recommended hand luggage sizes. This is not only a revolution for traveling parents, but also for airline personnel. Ideally, store your YOYO+ in its travel bag (sold separately), or use the included carry case.

* Since 2012, the YOYO and YOYO+ strollers are accepted or recognized as cabin luggage by most airlines companies.
However, cabin luggage standards may vary according to the airline and we therefore recommend checking with your chosen airline before travelling for the latest applicable cabin luggage allowance.
lougord99 and jjmiller69 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 24, 2017 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:21 am

WHAT??

I just did research. I can't find anyplace where the FAA has ever "approved" a stroller.

We are missing something here.
jjmiller69 and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN will check a stroller at the curb, counter or gate in addition to a passenger's allowance. Published right on the WN side with a useful checklist for traveling with children.

I have no idea what an FAA-approved stroller is, but all kinds of manufacturers put all kinds of labels on their products. It does not mean that a private carrier must permit that item onboard.

OP is lucky. Disobeying the direct order of the Command Captain is a good way to wind up being invited off the flight and told that you may be happier on another carrier.

WN sells bags for strollers at the airport and there are protective bags available for as little as $10 on Amazon and elsewhere.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Disobeying the direct order of the Command Captain is a good way to wind up being invited off the flight and told that you may be happier on another carrier.
The account, as I read it, doesn't mention any "direct order of the Command Captain" being disobeyed. It indicates the pilot consulted with the CSR supervisor and GA who said the folding stroller could be stowed in the overhead.

Maybe it was a late board and the bins were full.

Captains are loathe to overrule another crew mate. FAs are loathe to lose arguments.
msglsmo likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Captain / Pilot should have made the final decision one way or another. Consulting the others is fine but ultimately he should have manned up and exercised his authority. I guess there was no pushback time pressure allowing this circus to drag on...
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I just did research. I can't find anyplace where the FAA has ever "approved" a stroller.
Maybe it's one of those convertible deals where a car seat / kid flying seat snaps in and out of a stroller frame.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Maybe it's one of those convertible deals where a car seat / kid flying seat snaps in and out of a stroller frame.
That stroller is advertised on some websites to fold up "to the size of a FAA approved carry-on". It is not an "FAA approved carry-on" (is there such a thing?). That is why I asked if it was folded or open. There are plenty of other items besides roller bags and duffle bags that people carry on that will fit into the overhead bins and also fit the FAA size limit for a carry-on. I haven't ever seen one of these strollers, and perhaps the FA hadn't either. Whether or not it fits into a SWA overhead bin is still a question.

From the manufacturer's website: Cabin luggage standards may vary depending on airlines. find out more
Since 2012, the YOYO and YOYO+ strollers (folded dimensions 52 x 44 x 18 cm) are accepted or recognized as cabin luggage by most airlines companies.
However, cabin luggage standards may vary according to the airline and we therefore recommend checking with your chosen airline before travelling for the latest applicable cabin luggage allowance.

Link: https://www.babyzen.com/en/yoyo-plus
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by NextTrip
That stroller is advertised on some websites to fold up "to the size of a FAA approved carry-on". It is not an "FAA approved carry-on" (is there such a thing?). That is why I asked if it was folded or open. There are plenty of other items besides roller bags and duffle bags that people carry on that will fit into the overhead bins and also fit the FAA size limit for a carry-on. I haven't ever seen one of these strollers, and perhaps the FA hadn't either. Whether or not it fits into a SWA overhead bin is still a question.

From the manufacturer's website: Cabin luggage standards may vary depending on airlines. find out more
Since 2012, the YOYO and YOYO+ strollers (folded dimensions 52 x 44 x 18 cm) are accepted or recognized as cabin luggage by most airlines companies.

Link: https://www.babyzen.com/en/yoyo-plus
Correct and each Airline and FA has it's choice of accepting or rejecting. In this case the FA rejected it.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Correct and each Airline and FA has it's choice of accepting or rejecting. In this case the FA rejected it.
This is where I disagree and call bulls#!t. If there is a written company policy, fine, the FA has the ability (and discretion) to enforce that policy but no FA should ever have the "power" to be judge, jury, and executioner based purely on how they are feeling making up policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.