Community
Wiki Posts
Search

refund question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
refund question

I booked a WN reservation with points and paid the $11 security/taxes. I realized the name was misspelled so immediately cancelled and re-booked with fees as a credit.
18 hours later I needed to cancel the reservation and WN refused to refund the $11 in fees because it was a credit. Is this correct?
Once you convert money as a credit regardless of timing there is no refund? This does not sound right.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sanFF
I booked a WN reservation with points and paid the $11 security/taxes. I realized the name was misspelled so immediately cancelled and re-booked with fees as a credit.
18 hours later I needed to cancel the reservation and WN refused to refund the $11 in fees because it was a credit. Is this correct?
Once you convert money as a credit regardless of timing there is no refund? This does not sound right.
Yes. I do not think there is a 24-hour free cancellation in this case.

Once you cancel and do not request taxes back onto your credit card, they become “Ticketless Travel Funds” (unless there is some new term).

These are in the form of a credit tied to your name and good for 1 year from the time first created. You have to travel, not just Book, by the deadline. Keep the 6-character PNR (“reservation number”) to access and use.

In cases of mis-spelling, easiest just to call 1-800-IFLYSWA and ask them to fix.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Sorry to say that it does sound right to me.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yes. I do not think there is a 24-hour free cancellation in this case.

Once you cancel and do not request taxes back onto your credit card, they become “Ticketless Travel Funds” (unless there is some new term).

These are in the form of a credit tied to your name and good for 1 year from the time first created. You have to travel, not just Book, by the deadline. Keep the 6-character PNR (“reservation number”) to access and use.

In cases of mis-spelling, easiest just to call 1-800-IFLYSWA and ask them to fix.
To be clear: Travel funds are valid for one year from the date of the original purchase, not the date the travel funds were created.

Also, be aware that applying travel funds to a new reservation makes that new reservation -- including any new money -- take on the oldest expiration date of any funds applied.
SCGustafson likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If I cancel a flight that was non-refundable - I get to use that money for a year, right? I am about to be a companion, but might have to book a flight waiting for it to come through.

If the companion comes through in time and I cancel the paid flight, what can I use the travel funds for?

New flight of course
Taxes? (can I use it on flights that have taxes
Fees?
Drinks - can not think of a way that would work
EarlyBoarding - pretty sure that is only credit card
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Its a year from date of PURCHASE. I'm pretty sure the answers are NO outside of a new flight of course. You could let expire then ask for a travel voucher (less $100) as a last resort that anyone could use assuming the unwritten rule/benefit continues.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:40 pm

Travel funds can be applied to a new flight or taxes/fees on a points booking for the originally named passenger, and are valid for one year from the date of the original ticket purchase.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
If I cancel a flight that was non-refundable - I get to use that money for a year, right? I am about to be a companion, but might have to book a flight waiting for it to come through.
If you are sure you will be a companion, another couple of options are book the ticket as a points booking or book it as Anytime so you can get a refund
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:04 pm

Be aware that if you make any change at all to a "refundable" itinerary (Anytime or Business Select, for example) that itinerary becomes non-refundable.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Let me ask another way. If I book a companion ticket, I still have to pay any taxes and fees. Domestically it is only $5.60. But some intl trips have more taxes. Since that is all that is due, can use "travel funds" to pay it?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:20 am

Yes, taxes on a companion ticket can be paid with travel funds.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:43 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

I am about to be a companion, but might have to book a flight waiting for it to come through.
Wow, how weird. I just addressed this on another thread. See this recent post.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maquez
Yes, taxes on a companion ticket can be paid with travel funds.

Yes, and the $5.60 security fee can be paid with those funds. Just did it on 3 tickets. Regular person, and a companion person.

Though I have not done it, I would guess I could use to pay the $15 fee if part of the original reservation. I know I can not use it to add the early boarding after the fact. (just tried).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:24 pm

Yes, and the $5.60 security fee can be paid with those funds. Just did it on 3 tickets. Regular person, and a companion person.

Though I have not done it, I would guess I could use to pay the $15 fee if part of the original reservation. I know I can not use it to add the early boarding after the fact. (just tried).
No. EarlyBird Check-In can only be purchased with a credit card.

Travel funds can be applied to a new flight or taxes/fees on a points or companion booking for the originally named passenger(s), and are valid for one year from the date of the original ticket purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.