FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   refund question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1879077-refund-question.html)

sanFF Nov 23, 17 7:14 am

refund question
 
I booked a WN reservation with points and paid the $11 security/taxes. I realized the name was misspelled so immediately cancelled and re-booked with fees as a credit.
18 hours later I needed to cancel the reservation and WN refused to refund the $11 in fees because it was a credit. Is this correct?
Once you convert money as a credit regardless of timing there is no refund? This does not sound right.

toomanybooks Nov 23, 17 8:28 am


Originally Posted by sanFF (Post 29092589)
I booked a WN reservation with points and paid the $11 security/taxes. I realized the name was misspelled so immediately cancelled and re-booked with fees as a credit.
18 hours later I needed to cancel the reservation and WN refused to refund the $11 in fees because it was a credit. Is this correct?
Once you convert money as a credit regardless of timing there is no refund? This does not sound right.

Yes. I do not think there is a 24-hour free cancellation in this case.

Once you cancel and do not request taxes back onto your credit card, they become “Ticketless Travel Funds” (unless there is some new term).

These are in the form of a credit tied to your name and good for 1 year from the time first created. You have to travel, not just Book, by the deadline. Keep the 6-character PNR (“reservation number”) to access and use.

In cases of mis-spelling, easiest just to call 1-800-IFLYSWA and ask them to fix.

pshuang Nov 23, 17 8:31 am

Sorry to say that it does sound right to me.

ursine1 Nov 23, 17 1:24 pm


Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 29092779)
Yes. I do not think there is a 24-hour free cancellation in this case.

Once you cancel and do not request taxes back onto your credit card, they become “Ticketless Travel Funds” (unless there is some new term).

These are in the form of a credit tied to your name and good for 1 year from the time first created. You have to travel, not just Book, by the deadline. Keep the 6-character PNR (“reservation number”) to access and use.

In cases of mis-spelling, easiest just to call 1-800-IFLYSWA and ask them to fix.

To be clear: Travel funds are valid for one year from the date of the original purchase, not the date the travel funds were created.

Also, be aware that applying travel funds to a new reservation makes that new reservation -- including any new money -- take on the oldest expiration date of any funds applied.

NoStressHere Jan 15, 18 7:13 pm

If I cancel a flight that was non-refundable - I get to use that money for a year, right? I am about to be a companion, but might have to book a flight waiting for it to come through.

If the companion comes through in time and I cancel the paid flight, what can I use the travel funds for?

New flight of course
Taxes? (can I use it on flights that have taxes
Fees?
Drinks - can not think of a way that would work
EarlyBoarding - pretty sure that is only credit card

joshua362 Jan 16, 18 8:46 am

Its a year from date of PURCHASE. I'm pretty sure the answers are NO outside of a new flight of course. You could let expire then ask for a travel voucher (less $100) as a last resort that anyone could use assuming the unwritten rule/benefit continues.

ursine1 Jan 16, 18 1:40 pm

Travel funds can be applied to a new flight or taxes/fees on a points booking for the originally named passenger, and are valid for one year from the date of the original ticket purchase.

justhere Jan 16, 18 3:28 pm


Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 29297448)
If I cancel a flight that was non-refundable - I get to use that money for a year, right? I am about to be a companion, but might have to book a flight waiting for it to come through.

If you are sure you will be a companion, another couple of options are book the ticket as a points booking or book it as Anytime so you can get a refund

ursine1 Jan 16, 18 5:04 pm

Be aware that if you make any change at all to a "refundable" itinerary (Anytime or Business Select, for example) that itinerary becomes non-refundable.

NoStressHere Jan 17, 18 8:47 am

Let me ask another way. If I book a companion ticket, I still have to pay any taxes and fees. Domestically it is only $5.60. But some intl trips have more taxes. Since that is all that is due, can use "travel funds" to pay it?

maquez Jan 17, 18 11:20 am

Yes, taxes on a companion ticket can be paid with travel funds.

ftnoob Jan 17, 18 9:43 pm


Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 29297448)
I am about to be a companion, but might have to book a flight waiting for it to come through.

Wow, how weird. I just addressed this on another thread. See this recent post.

NoStressHere Jan 21, 18 3:27 pm


Originally Posted by maquez (Post 29304426)
Yes, taxes on a companion ticket can be paid with travel funds.


Yes, and the $5.60 security fee can be paid with those funds. Just did it on 3 tickets. Regular person, and a companion person.

Though I have not done it, I would guess I could use to pay the $15 fee if part of the original reservation. I know I can not use it to add the early boarding after the fact. (just tried).

ursine1 Jan 21, 18 7:24 pm


Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 29321708)
Yes, and the $5.60 security fee can be paid with those funds. Just did it on 3 tickets. Regular person, and a companion person.

Though I have not done it, I would guess I could use to pay the $15 fee if part of the original reservation. I know I can not use it to add the early boarding after the fact. (just tried).

No. EarlyBird Check-In can only be purchased with a credit card.

Travel funds can be applied to a new flight or taxes/fees on a points or companion booking for the originally named passenger(s), and are valid for one year from the date of the original ticket purchase.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:06 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.