Wiki Posts
Search

stupid question: exit row

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

stupid question: exit row

So it's my understanding Southwest gives you a number for boarding order and you can grab whatever seat you like. Does that include exit row seats or other "premium" stuff?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yep. There are no premium seats on Southwest that require extra fees.
SCGustafson likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greggarious
So it's my understanding Southwest gives you a number for boarding order and you can grab whatever seat you like. Does that include exit row seats or other "premium" stuff?
Yes, if not already taken.

And be aware that a flight attendant standing in an exit row does mean the exit row is reserved, they just stand there because there more room for them to stand there (and they want to be mid-cabin). But if you want a seat in the row they're standing in, it's no problem.
SCGustafson likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sdsearch

And be aware that a flight attendant standing in an exit row does mean the exit row is reserved, they just stand there because there more room for them to stand there (and they want to be mid-cabin). But if you want a seat in the row they're standing in, it's no problem.

Ssssshhhh. That's how I frequently get an exit row, even with a B boarding number.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Nov 8, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can I sit in the exit row? Am I allowed it?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by N830MH
Keep moving. There's nothing to look at here.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Unfortunately not, Scotty. Profound hearing impairment would be considered a valid reason for preventing you from sitting in the exit row.
SCGustafson and Carpboy823 like this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by sdsearch

As an FYI, the FA's stand at/near the exit rows to size up the passengers choosing those seats. Because of the responsibility of sitting in there, an FA has to confirm that they meet the criteria. (Outlined in the Safety Information Card).

You are correct - if you want the seat they are standing in - just ask.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Unfortunately not, Scotty. Profound hearing impairment would be considered a valid reason for preventing you from sitting in the exit row.
Whatever! I can sit there. I can see and I listen to my FA.

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Keep moving. There's nothing to look at here.
Okay. Fine. I can sit there. I don't need pre-board.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:23 pm

Many of Southwest's specific exit row requirements would seem to exclude those with profound hearing loss.

Emergency Exit Seating Requirements
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Many of Southwest's specific exit row requirements would seem to exclude those with profound hearing loss.

Emergency Exit Seating Requirements
Yes emergency instructions may be given over the PA where a person must be able to hear oral instructions. I think this is partly why the FAs require everyone seated in the exit row to give an oral answer to the questions that ask about being able and willing to help.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yes emergency instructions may be given over the PA where a person must be able to hear oral instructions. I think this is partly why the FAs require everyone seated in the exit row to give an oral answer to the questions that ask about being able and willing to help.
...and ostensibly to see if they understand instructions given in English.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld
...and ostensibly to see if they understand instructions given in English.
I, too, have profound hearing loos requiring hearing aids. I often would remove them in the airport because of noise. In the few times I sat in the exit row before flying as COS, I would get the questions. As I am quite proficient reading lips if I know the context, I aced these tests. (Yeah, I know, danger to the other passengers, one of the reasons I stopped.)

I do remember seeing the FA asking someone in the row about the ability to do what is required and seeing that the person could not answer, they moved them. There was a brief shouting match as the boarding was nearly complete and there was nothing left except middles. The family that had held the seat joined in saying that the person could understand perfectly well while the person stood there with an unknowing look. The FA was quite firm and won the battle.

In-flight entertainment - WN style.
TSparky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I, too, have profound hearing loos requiring hearing aids.
I would think hearing aids that allow for adequate hearing would be OK. I also know sometimes hearing aids don't really work all that well with a lot of background noise.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I do remember seeing the FA asking someone in the row about the ability to do what is required and seeing that the person could not answer, they moved them. There was a brief shouting match as the boarding was nearly complete and there was nothing left except middles. The family that had held the seat joined in saying that the person could understand perfectly well while the person stood there with an unknowing look. The FA was quite firm and won the battle.

In-flight entertainment - WN style.
I once sat in the row behind an exit row and saw the following:

Elderly woman on the aisle of exit row when asked if she could perform the duties in case of emergency stated she had severe arthritis in her hands and wasn't sure she could open the door.

The FA said she had to move to a non-exit row.

Pax asked if the FA could "forget" about her saying she had problems with her hands.

FA said he heard her state it and could not "forget about it" and once again asked her to move to a non-exit row.

Pax said she wanted the extra legroom.

FA said she had to move.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

She ultimately moved.

Gotta love the onboard entertainment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.