Wiki Posts
Search

On the plane New seatsaving scam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
It is also clear that reports of seat saving issues are increasing.
That's not obvious to me. I presume that Southwest believes the current non-policy, while highly imperfect, causes less aggregate customer displeasure than a rigid policy for or against seat saving.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:30 pm

We've discussed a possible solution many, many, many times. A clear, easily enforceable rule that allows a passenger to save only a single adjacent seat would be a good compromise. This wouldn't satisfy everyone -- nothing will -- but it would eliminate the most egregious cases of seat saving while allowing travel partners a fix for non-sequential boarding positions.
A "one-seat-save-per-passenger" rule would only empower more to do it. Flying solo? Hold the middle seat for extra room and if someone asks, shrug, and say your companion missed the flight.

Southwest won't end seat saving. FA's refuse to police it and families wouldn't fly them.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
And think about this. In June of this year WN had over 14,000,000 enplanements. There's no way that I know of to break that down into who traveled solo and who didn't etc. But with close to half a million people getting on WN flights every day, you'd think you'd hear a heck of a lot more complaints about seat saving if it truly was that big of an issue.

As these threads demonstrate, different people have different opinions about it but in general it just doesn't seem to be as big of an issue to most of those almost 500,000 people every day as it is to a handful. And given that no matter what WN does, not everyone will be happy, the current procedure seems like it will be the status quo for now.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:27 pm

No Southwest statement I can find references more than one seat saved as a practice they contemplate or sanction.

Only slight variations to the well-worn template.

"As long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to “claim” a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group. We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren’t inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue."
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
"As long as there is no Safety concern, it would be acceptable for a Customer to “claim” a seat for his/her family member or traveling companion who may be in a later boarding group. We are aware that the saving of seats is a by-product of our policy, and as long as the boarding process is not delayed and other Customers aren’t inconvenienced, it usually isn’t a significant issue."

Well that's gonna open a whole 'nother statement of interpretation to debate and try to define..

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 4, 2017 at 4:20 pm
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:45 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by justhere
You don't know what the other 13 people wanted or didn't want.

And that is entirely your prerogative and I'm not judging you or denigrating you in any way for wanting a bulkhead seat. All I've been doin is pointing out that you could be considered the bad guy as much as the person you were calling a bad guy and I've explained why.

Ok ad hominem aside that makes no sense. I'm not boasting about anything. And your opinion is your opinion. I don't have to agree with it just as you don't have to agree with mine. Although if your opinion is that you can't save seats or that everybody wants a bulkhead or exit row, then your opinion is wrong. I'm not lessening it, I'm just stating a fact.

And I stated fact and opinion. Neither were boasting.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:47 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
So, mayhem is better than half of the people being satisfied?

We've discussed a possible solution many, many, many times. A clear, easily enforceable rule that allows a passenger to save only a single adjacent seat would be a good compromise. This wouldn't satisfy everyone -- nothing will -- but it would eliminate the most egregious cases of seat saving while allowing travel partners a fix for non-sequential boarding positions.

Partners do have a sequential boarding position. They can both board at the same time of the higher number.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
And I stated fact and opinion. Neither were boasting.
Fine you weren't boasting. Happy now?
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
Partners do have a sequential boarding position. They can both board at the same time of the higher number.
It'll be interesting to see how WN's test goes with allowing them to board with the better number,
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Sorry, ignore.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:55 am

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

It is absolutely correct however that this horse has been beat to death. We are very likely completely wasting our time, since Southwest refuses to act.
If reports of seat saving are increasing, then it's simply because more people are reporting it. You also have people like SpaceCoastBill, who has reported his experience multiple times, on multiple threads, and probably in multiple publications and social medias.. It was one experience that he's going to mention every chance he gets for eternity. But, it was still just one time.

Southwest is perfectly fine with the status quo, and so are most everyone else. I'd bet if they were to institute strict policies over seat saving and bag size limits, you'll have an obscene number of more people upset at the bag limit rather than seat saving issues. And yet, size limits are rarely mentioned here, because, again, people are ok with it.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:26 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That's great for you.

It's the height of hubris for anyone to believe that their experience somehow equates to every other customer's experience.

Based on social media reports, as well as a lengthy discussions here and in other online forums dedicated to Southwest, it is clear that the current seat saving situation is at a minimum controversial.

Ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

It is absolutely correct however that this horse has been beat to death. We are very likely completely wasting our time, since Southwest refuses to act.
Lighten up Francis. “height of hubris”?? Exaggerate much?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

I'm convinced that many of the reported instances of seat saving are made up and many of the reported confrontations occur only in the imgination.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by harold
Lighten up Francis. “height of hubris”?? Exaggerate much?
Francis also hasn't produced any numbers to back up his own claims. Unless Southwest has provided actual variance in unsolicited seat saving complaints, it's all speculation.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:18 pm

"Francis" has left the building.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I witnessed a family try to reserve a whole row once. A young woman got on and tried to sit in their open aisle seat. Grandpa was very adamant that she couldn’t sit there and she was quite flustered. Then he started trying to negotiate with other passengers to find her a seat in another aisle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.