Wiki Posts
Search

New to Southwest, Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
New to Southwest, Questions

Hello, I'm about to book on Southwest for the first time. I'm a frequent flier that often flies JetBlue. (But, with no real loyalty, I just buy first class if it's a decent fare, or just book on JetBlue, so I have no status on any airline right now)

I've never flown Southwest before, because Southwest tends to never have the lowest price, but this time, Southwest is ~$100 less than the competition. I have done my research and have read up on how they do things. I have a few questions that my initial research has not addressed.

1. How can I tell whether my flight originates at that airport, or if it is a stop on another flight? For example, I'm looking at PBI-BWI-BOS, which are flight numbers 4669 and 5717 (so, an actual connection). I know that I could check FlightAware to see whether the flight is a continuation of another, but these two flight numbers don't appear to be for the same legs as I'm looking at February, so these flight numbers are probably in the future winter/spring schedule. Is there any other way to figure this out? I'd rather not book a flight where my boarding position could be A25 where there are only middle seats left because the aircraft doesn't originate there.

2. When I check in with a PNR that has a connecting flight (an actual connection, with a plane change) does that check me in to the connecting flight ahead of T-24?

3. Is EBCI worth it? Which boarding positions could I get if I buy EBCI? Which positions should I expect if I check in exactly at T-24 without EBCI?

Thank you!

Last edited by diburning; Oct 28, 2017 at 5:15 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
1. A25 is a fantastic boarding position. One which you will not get close to unless you are buying Business Select. Check in for a WGA fare at T-24 and you will likely get something around B1. Will have plenty of aisles or windows to choose from.

2. Yes

3. I never buy EBCI. Have never once regretted it.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
1. If you had A25, almost 90% of the plane will still be empty even if there are thru passengers.
3. Checking in at T24 usually gets me between B20 and B40 when flying from Midway. When flying from Memphis i used to get high A's or low B's.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
1. How can I tell whether my flight originates at that airport, or if it is a stop on another flight?
Enter the flight number in Flight Status/By Flight at www.flightstats.com

Here's an example of yesterday's WN 42, ATL-DTW:

This flight has multiple segments. Please select a segment from the list.
WN 42 from (HOU) Houston to (DAL) Dallas

WN 42 from (DAL) Dallas to (ATL) Atlanta

WN 42 from (ATL) Atlanta to (DTW) Detroit

I'd rather not book a flight where my boarding position could be A25 where there are only middle seats left because the aircraft doesn't originate there.
That is a risk you take with continuing flights on Southwest. The greater risk is being somewhere without cell/wifi service when you want to check in at T-24. Being an hour late can add 50 spots to your boarding position. If that makes you anxious, buy EBCI, or accept that WN may not be right for you.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:04 am

1) It's very unlikely for people to fly thru Palm Beach to get to BWI. And even if there are thru passengers on board, it's very unlikely a whole plane's worth would be doing that. Very few flights are thru flights, so it's something I overall wouldn't worry about.

2) Yes

3) Overall, it's not worth it. Even those with 'C' boarding positions can often find a window or aisle. Remember, most people will want to sit together, and quite often if a window and aisle are occupied with the middle empty, that is a couple that is just hoping to scare people away! If you ask if there's a seat open, don't be surprised if one of them move to the middle seat to be with the other.

If you don't think you'll check in at T-24, then it's only $15...you're still saving over $85! :-)
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:58 am

For the itinerary of a flight number on a future date, go to http://info.flightmapper.net/search and enter the flight number; on the resulting page, fill in the date you want.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
1. WN changes their flight numbers/schedule much more frequently than other airlines, so FlightAware, etc... won't show you your flight until closer in.

If you are able to check in at T24 or buy EBCI then I wouldn't worry about it.

2. Yes.

3. I only buy EBCI if I know ahead of time I won't be able to check in at T24. Even with a mid-B boarding pass I can get an aisle or a window towards the back. An A boarding pass will pretty much guarantee your choice of seat outside of exit row. Remember, some of the people ahead of you will be groups of 2 or 3 that will take a middle to sit together.

The important bit is if you don't purchase EBCI, then to check in right at T24. To the second if possible. Set an alarm for 10 minutes prior. Cellphone network time and the time on cable boxes I've found are right on the same time as WN.

Edit: You asked what position to expect. Typically when checking in at T24 with no status I get a very low A or very high B. A couple months ago I forgot to check in for 20 minutes and got something like B45-ish. It's still not a problem to avoid a middle at that point, but you may not get to pick between window or aisle if you prefer one or the other. Most of my flights are between PHX and the Midwest or California.

There's a long thread on here somewhere where people post their boarding positions that you may look at.

Last edited by Lost; Oct 28, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
1) It's very unlikely for people to fly thru Palm Beach to get to BWI. And even if there are thru passengers on board, it's very unlikely a whole plane's worth would be doing that. Very few flights are thru flights, so it's something I overall wouldn't worry about.

If you don't think you'll check in at T-24, then it's only $15...you're still saving over $85! :-)
What about BWI? Will I encounter a half-full plane when boarding at BWI? I think BWI is a focus city or hub.

Since this is my first time, I'll probably buy EBCI both ways. I'd still be saving about $70 so I'm ok with that.

As far as flightstats or flightmapper, neither of them have these flight numbers yet.

Thank you, everyone!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
What about BWI? Will I encounter a half-full plane when boarding at BWI? I think BWI is a focus city or hub.

Since this is my first time, I'll probably buy EBCI both ways. I'd still be saving about $70 so I'm ok with that.

As far as flightstats or flightmapper, neither of them have these flight numbers yet.

Thank you, everyone!
Once your flight starts operating, check it and see if the same flight number is coming from somewhere. Also look for obvious routings: MDW-BWI-IND is unlikely to be sold as a continuation, but BNA-BWI-BOS is more likely.

You also don't need to purchase EBCI immediately. You can wait until a couple days before (T-36?) to add it to your booking if you want to wait and see.

Based on your questions though, I'm more inclined to say just buy it so you can get a feel for WN. Note that with EBCI you will still need to check in, but your boarding position will already be assigned.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Alright, I just booked my flights! Thank you everyone, for all all your help!

Last question: I have a RR account. I had some points in there from a promo, but they expired since my last activity was in 2013. I'll be earning a measly ~900 points with this booking. I don't suppose there's actually something that I can do with those points? Of course, if I fly Southwest again within 2 years, I'd keep them.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Southwest Rapid Rewards
You can usually donate the points to something. 900 points isn't really enough for anything.

I usually buy EBCI if going on a cruise, less likely otherwise.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Alright, I just booked my flights! Thank you everyone, for all all your help!

Last question: I have a RR account. I had some points in there from a promo, but they expired since my last activity was in 2013. I'll be earning a measly ~900 points with this booking. I don't suppose there's actually something that I can do with those points? Of course, if I fly Southwest again within 2 years, I'd keep them.
There are some posts recently about sub-1000 point redemptions.

You can get 600 for a car rental/hotel room. Each earning activity extends expiration by 24 months.

Or just sign up for Rapids Rewards Dining and get a beer or lunch somewhere. Or something on iTunes.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I just booked a round trip from IAD>MCO in Jan for 2700 points. I believe the cash round trip was $79.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
900 points is usually worth about $14 in WN fares, sometimes more, as above.

The dinning program is a good option; costs nothing and gets lots of points if you eat out much at any of their restaurants. Certainly good for extending the points expiration.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:39 pm

As the schedule is currently:
SWA4669 originates in PBI. The AC turns from SWA4667 ISP-PBI.
SWA5717 is a through flight, inbound from RSW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.