Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hotel cancelled reservation booked thru Southwest web site ...

Old Oct 18, 17, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

Help. I'm having trouble figuring out what rights I have here.

Through the Southwest website:

- Booked Hotel Beacon NYC on 8/7 for a four-night stay early Nov.
- Got the prepaid, non-refundable rate. Paid via Southwest RR CC. CC has been charged as of 8/7. Was to be awarded 34,000 points after the stay.
- Got a message from 'Southwest Hotel Concierge' on 10/15 that Hotel Beacon 'unable to accommodate' my reservations and they are moving me to Hotel Lucerne. This is a much cheaper property and *not* equivalent.
- They have offered no compensation and are implying that they are doing me a favor.

Help. What are my rights? Am I completely SOL? I don't want to stay at the Lucerne.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Oct 19, 17 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:43 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Get ahold of WN Customer Service asap, and dump the problem in their lap.

In the hotel world I have been walked a few times but each time it was to an equal or better property.

And I received compensation for getting walked.

Was it a rocketmiles booking through WN?
Old Oct 18, 17, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: Web page is showing availability for the SAME room I booked.
Old Oct 19, 17, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Southwest Customer Service will just kick you back to More Rewards. Any "rights" that you have would be whatever was spelled out in the terms and conditions of the booking you made. I'd review the confirmation email, and/or call More Rewards: 800-833-4861.
Thanks, but the people at that number aren't helpful. Still working it ...

UPDATE: All phone numbers go into voicemail or are busy:

Southwest Hotels Concierge
1.844.782.9792 (US & Canada)
1.773.770.4953 (International)
And

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Oct 19, 17 at 11:16 am
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla View Post
Help. I'm having trouble figuring out what rights I have here.

Through the Southwest website:

- Booked Hotel Beacon NYC on 8/7 for a four-night stay early Nov.
- Got the prepaid, non-refundable rate. 34,000 points
- Got a message from 'Southwest Hotel Concierge' on 10/15 that Hotel Beacon 'unable to accommodate' my reservations and they are moving me to Hotel Lucerne. This is a much cheaper property and *not* equivalent.
- They have offered no compensation and are implying that they are doing me a favor.

Help. What are my rights? Am I completely SOL? I don't want to stay at the Lucerne.
Either they upgrade you to a suite, book you at the Le Meriden, Plaza Hotel, Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons or refund your points and cover the cash amount per the hotel walk policy at a hotel of equal or more cost of a hotel of your choice and you get to keep the points. Its very bad business to downgrade you to another hotel of less value and a breach of contract to do so at the same point value as the same property.

The Hotel Concierge was obligated to contact you and inform you of your options rather than just automatically rebooking you at another hotel that is of less value.

Propose different options.

Last edited by danielonn; Oct 19, 17 at 1:30 pm
Old Oct 19, 17, 1:27 pm

They then should be able to rebook you then and perhaps compensate you for the inconvenience. Please pursue this and keep us posted. Ask them for the reason in writing for why you were downgraded to a lesser hotel. Keep the paper trail and ask them to fix this. If not write a firm letter to the WN Hotel Concierge and CC the Executive Office/ Rapid Rewards etc.

Last edited by danielonn; Oct 19, 17 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
Either they upgrade you to a suite, book you at the Le Meriden, Plaza Hotel, Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons or refund your points and cover the cash amount per the hotel walk policy at a hotel of equal or more cost of a hotel of your choice and you get to keep the points. Its very bad business to downgrade you to another hotel of less value and a breach of contract to do so at the same point value as the same property.

The Hotel Concierge was obligated to contact you and inform you of your options rather than just automatically rebooking you at another hotel that is of less value.

Propose different options.

EDIT: Ignore the following. It applies to points redemption bookings made through More Rewards, which is not the case here.

This is not true.

Again: The booking was made through More Rewards, a third party Southwest uses to sell hotel (and other) Rapid Rewards points redemptions.

It wasn't made directly with the hotel, so the "hotel walk" policy doesn't apply, and despite the claimed reason for the change, the hotel and/or the hotel concierge has no obligation to do anything at this point.

The booking is subject to the terms and conditions More Rewards stated when the booking was made. While I do not know what those terms are, they may very well say that hotel substitutions are allowed. I'll suggest -- again -- that the OP review those terms.

Southwest customer relations will just throw issues like these back to More Rewards, dismissing any responsibility they have to the customer. More Rewards are the only ones empowered to actually do anything about the situation.

With persistence, one may be able to get a Southwest customer relations phone rep to get a More Rewards rep on the phone, which might help. But that's about it with regards to Southwest's involvement.

Unfortunately, problems with More Rewards travel bookings are a common complaint.

Last edited by ursine1; Oct 19, 17 at 4:31 pm
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:38 pm

Programs: HH Silver
What webpage. Hotel or Southwest? If hotel website, I use contact number on booking, and explain this.

Good luck, in my experience, you have no rights that are worth the time and aggravation chasing them. I definately would not accept a lesser property, I would cancel first.
Old Oct 19, 17, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
What webpage. Hotel or Southwest? If hotel website, I use contact number on booking, and explain this.

Good luck, in my experience, you have no rights that are worth the time and aggravation chasing them. I definately would not accept a lesser property, I would cancel first.
OP stated the reservation was prepaid, non-refundable.
Old Oct 19, 17, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post

Good luck, in my experience, you have no rights that are worth the time and aggravation chasing them. I definitely would not accept a lesser property, I would cancel first.
It is the Southwest website that is showing availability at Hotel Beacon.

I'm trying to find the T&Cs now as ursine1 has suggested. I'd be shocked if the hotel booking site from the Southwest web page allows the booking company to change a fully prepaid reservation less than 2 weeks prior to travel to a much cheaper property for no reason and with no compensation.

But that is the situation I'm facing at the moment and I can't get through to any of the phone numbers the Southwest has given me. Emails are not being returned.
Old Oct 19, 17, 3:56 pm

Programs: HH Silver
It is the Southwest website that is showing availability at Hotel Beacon.

I'm trying to find the T&Cs now as ursine1 has suggested. I'd be shocked if the hotel booking site from the Southwest web page allows the booking company to change a fully prepaid reservation less than 2 weeks prior to travel to a much cheaper property for no reason and with no compensation.

But that is the situation I'm facing at the moment and I can't get through to any of the phone numbers the Southwest has given me. Emails are not being returned.
No, you are right. I would also be shocked if the booking site says anything of that sort.

I know if someone cancels an Expedia reservation, and the hotel has not closed out their availability properly, it will throw it back into inventory with Expedia. Had it happen many times at the hotel I work at, causing oversells. But it is the hotels fault, not Expedia's, although no one really cares at that point who is to blame.

Good luck. Like I said, in my experience, nothing they can do would make it worth the hell they will put you through getting there. Once you start chasing legal terms in the T & C's, its all downhill. Maybe the MORE REWARDS people are better than OTA's, but I doubt it.

Last edited by tatterdema; Oct 19, 17 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:16 pm

EDIT: Ignore the following.

Again:

This was booked through More Rewards.

It might be helpful to understand the differences between the companies mentioned and how that affects you.

The "hotel booking site from the Southwest web page" is Booking.com, a third-party Southwest uses to sell hotel bookings. This is not who the reservation was booked with, so they're essentially irrelevant to the discussion.

The terms and conditions of More Rewards (and the individual booking itself) are what apply.

One hopes that those terms allow for cancellation/refund in the case of hotel substitution, but that may not be the case when the booking is non-refundable. The terms may also explicitly allow hotel substitution at the booking agent's discretion, possibly with respect to hotel classes that are also at the booking agent's discretion.

Last edited by ursine1; Oct 19, 17 at 4:31 pm
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:23 pm

Thanks, but the people at that number aren't helpful. Still working it ...

UPDATE: All phone numbers go into voicemail or are busy:

And
These numbers are for Booking.com.

Lets clear up some confusion:

When you said "- Got the prepaid, non-refundable rate. 34,000 points" did you mean that you redeemed 34,000 points to book the hotel stay?
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Southwest Hotel booking site appears to be a scam ...

OK update as of 2pm on 10/19/17. The problem is WAY worse than I thought.

The Director of Sales from Hotel Beacon just called. It turns out that Hotel Beacon NYC has been refusing reservations from the booking company on the Southwest website for at least two months now. So the fact that the hotel STILL shows up on the Southwest web page is a mirage. I've asked Hotel Beacon to take my reservation directly. I'll try to get a refund from the Southwest booking company. Although I suspect it is not important, I did use my Southwest RR Chase CC to book this.

So until you hear more from me:

- Booking a hotel through the Southwest web page is, at best, untrustworthy. The booking company appears to be a borderline scam. It is good I didn't need the RR points. I'm giving up 34,000 here. I have three phone numbers and an email address for the 'Southwest Hotels Concierge'. I get no (or much delayed) response from the email address. Two phone numbers go directly into voicemail and the third number is permanently busy.

- Check ALL your hotel reservations done via the Southwest web page directly with the hotel. Do NOT assume anything.

- This sucks. I'll be contacting Southwest to make them aware of this scam. Can anybody recommend an individual to call at corporate? This crap is very embarrassing to both Southwest and the hotel(s).

- I'd like to make clear that the hotel appears to be the innocent party here.

- Here is the quote from the 'Southwest Hotels Concierge'. It is a complete lie:
--------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Southwest Hotels.

This type of situation rarely happens and we are sorry for the inconvenience. The hotel advised us that they are SOLD OUT for your selected room/bed type which is Standard King Room. We can follow up with our hotel partners to cancel your reservation and process a full refund so you can rebook on whatever hotel you prefer. Would you like us to proceed on cancellation request?

We await your response. Thank you.

Kind regards,

---------------------------------------------

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Oct 19, 17 at 4:40 pm
Old Oct 19, 17, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
These numbers are for Booking.com.

Lets clear up some confusion:

When you said "- Got the prepaid, non-refundable rate. 34,000 points" did you mean that you redeemed 34,000 points to book the hotel stay?
I was to be awarded 34,000 points after the stay. No points were used in the booking. I used the Southwest RR Chase CC.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Oct 19, 17 at 4:34 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: