Southwest testing CPís boarding together

Old Dec 27, 18, 3:45 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Wingrider View Post
All the CP holder has to do is board with the primary and flash their CP card they receive that otherwise usually winds up in the bottom of the junk drawer each year....

What ?
Old Dec 27, 18, 3:57 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry my post wasn't clear. SWA needs to just make it simple and low key. If the CP holder just had his/her CP have the card in hand and show it with the primary passenger at the boarding pass, it would be simple and no drama.

Last edited by Wingrider; Dec 27, 18 at 5:09 pm
Old Dec 27, 18, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
I don't anticipate ever making preferred, but it seems like a great way to add a real benefit to to status. While it would somewhat change the value of ECBI, if they didn't actually assign the companion a higher BP (as during the test) it wouldn't change their perceived value. Perception is all that matters to sell EBCI anyhow...
During the test no one was assigned a different position, companions boarded by showing the CP holders card.
Old Jun 27, 20, 9:25 pm

Yesterday at LAS when my companion and I checked our bags at the counter the agent said companion could board with me at my low A position even though she had a B BP. No problem at the gate, we just told the gate agent that she was with me using my CP.
Sorry if this the wrong old thread to pick this up on, I know they did the change giving people traveling with A list on the same reservation automatic check-in, but with the CP we had separate PNRís and she didnít get checked in automatically with me and had the B BP. Hope this is new policy systemwide.
Old Jun 27, 20, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by home92345 View Post
Yesterday at LAS when my companion and I checked our bags at the counter the agent said companion could board with me at my low A position even though she had a B BP. No problem at the gate, we just told the gate agent that she was with me using my CP.
Sorry if this the wrong old thread to pick this up on, I know they did the change giving people traveling with A list on the same reservation automatic check-in, but with the CP we had separate PNRís and she didnít get checked in automatically with me and had the B BP. Hope this is new policy systemwide.
Haven't heard of this being a general thing. Would be nice if it were. My guess is that given the low loads they may have temporarily stopped caring. Could also have something to do with putting household members together from an isolation standpoint (assuming the CP pax is in your household). At least it would be two people they don't have to worry about sitting close to each other
Old Jun 28, 20, 11:21 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Haven't heard of this being a general thing. Would be nice if it were. My guess is that given the low loads they may have temporarily stopped caring. Could also have something to do with putting household members together from an isolation standpoint (assuming the CP pax is in your household). At least it would be two people they don't have to worry about sitting close to each other
That would make great logic. They are together anyways, so why not put these two people in line together vs mixing with others. Let them get seated together vs mixing. They will not be hurting ANYONE that wants to avoid a middle seat row.
Old Jun 30, 20, 10:34 am

Programs: WN CP, A list+; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite
I traveled out of Phoenix yesterday and asked the gate agent if my companion could board with me under the newest boarding changes and was told, “No”. The gate agent told me to save a seat for my companion. The agent did say that SWA was reportedly working on a numbering option to allow companions to bard with CP holders. Can’t come soon enough.
dlaue likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
We were on 2 flights yesterday (out of SNA and then LAS); both times my husband approached a gate agent in advance to ask if his companion (me) could board with him. At SNA the gate agent said "sure". At LAS the agent asked for his boarding position and when the agent discovered he was A-list said, "Yes because you are A-list." Pretty sure these agents just make it up as they go along...
Sikma likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Vlaka View Post
The agent did say that SWA was reportedly working on a numbering option to allow companions to bard with CP holders. Canít come soon enough.
Another perk of being a CP holder, having poetry read to you by the unwashed masses. 😁😁
ehallison, dlaue, screeton and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 8:51 am

Flew out of Phoenix this week. My CP boarded with me with a B30. I just said to the gate agent she was my companion. I should probably dig up that card somewhere.
Old Jul 2, 20, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by heegs612 View Post
Flew out of Phoenix this week. My CP boarded with me with a B30. I just said to the gate agent she was my companion. I should probably dig up that card somewhere.
Seems like lots of confusion in this thread.

There was a brief test of companions boarding with CP holders. It ended, and there has been no official policy change in that area.

However, those on the same reservation as an A-Lister should be given by the system consecutive boarding positions, allowing them to board together. Those flying on a companion pass, which have a separate PNR, currently are not, and the program as announced so far does not include companions. What happened to you was an exception made by the OPs agent, possibly since you were already pretty far back in the boarding order. Showing the companion pass card (or an A-List card) officially does nothing to change anyone's boarding position, as the policy currently exists.

A List and A List Preferred Boarding News!

Last edited by ursine1; Jul 2, 20 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 3, 20, 12:45 am

Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
How hard can it be for Southwest to print out the same boarding number for the companion? The boarding numbers are not used in the head count. If the boarding numbers come to the gate B8, B10 (because B9 cancelled), B11, B11 (the companion of B11), B12, B13, etc., so what? What am I missing?
Old Jul 3, 20, 8:41 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
How hard can it be for Southwest to print out the same boarding number for the companion? The boarding numbers are not used in the head count. If the boarding numbers come to the gate B8, B10 (because B9 cancelled), B11, B11 (the companion of B11), B12, B13, etc., so what? What am I missing?
Though I have limited programming experience, I can see some systems having trouble with this.
Old Jul 9, 20, 9:56 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
The desire or need (or insistence) on saving a seat for a companion is raised to an entirely new level with the COVID concerns. Before, I would save a seat for my wife (CP holder) if possible, but if we wound up sitting apart, it was really no big deal. Now, we are going to sit together, or we are likely not going to travel - meaning that we would opt to not fly in the first place. Like wearing masks or guaranteeing that the middle seat will be open thru at least Sept 30, Southwest could go a long way toward alleviating the concern that many of us have about flying if they would address the companion seating issue. Why is any programming needed? Just issue instructions to gate agents and CP holders that the companion is to be boarded with the primary ticket holder. (Show the Companion Pass to gate agent so random friends would not abuse the system.) Or, instead of pushing the early boarding, in the case of the companion pass holder, charge an optional $20 and call it companion pass boarding, which would give the CP holder the official status of boarding at the same time as the primary ticket holder. There are a variety of ways this could be addressed, and none of them are terribly complicated. It just needs to be done.
dlaue and Marko123 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: