Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest testing CP’s boarding together

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:50 am

DP: Checked in at the 24 hour mark and received A50. Intentionally waited 3 hours to check in the CP. CP got A49. Neither of us has any type of status. FLL-ATL
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:22 pm

Checked in today...my A List husband got A34 and I as the companion got A35.

I was wondering if this would work for us because I bought EBCI when they announced they were filling the middle seats. I wasn't sure IT was up to the task but it worked... I sure wish they had done this years ago. This is our last year as CP after having it for almost 10. Husband is retiring next year so without the business travel the spend alone would be difficult to achieve. But I am happy for all the other CP holders...no more saving seats! Enjoy!!
screeton likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:23 pm

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences.

I'm really looking forward to this (hopefully) being in place when I start flying again.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Tomorrow HNL - LAX me (A+): A16, wife (companion): A17.
IT WORKS!! Thank you, Southwest.

Now, here's the next improvement for your consideration--- be able to cancel, change, or refare any linked flights (companion pass, accompanied minor) by making the change to the main reservation only. Have the linked flights automatically follow the main reservation.

I wonder if accompanied minor reservations are now issued consecutive boarding pass numbers??
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
Tomorrow HNL - LAX me (A+): A16, wife (companion): A17.
IT WORKS!! Thank you, Southwest.

Now, here's the next improvement for your consideration--- be able to cancel, change, or refare any linked flights (companion pass, accompanied minor) by making the change to the main reservation only. Have the linked flights automatically follow the main reservation.

I wonder if accompanied minor reservations are now issued consecutive boarding pass numbers??
Now we are just getting greedy, haha I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for this to work so I can reprice without removing companion each time, its gotten to the point where I dont even add companion unless I am worried of a sellout or about a month out from trip.
nsx, NoStressHere, dlaue and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Well, as an A List Preferred and also a Companion Pass holder, I can say that my non A List Companion has gotten the next boarding position after mine for the last two trips, which includes one this past Monday and the one Tomorrow to DEN. Getting A22 and A21 on the connection for my companion tomorrow is just what makes me think this is now working. In the past, my non A List companion never got the position after mine, and specially on a full flight (got the email we are not guarantee a middle seat).
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:02 am

My wife and I have been experimenting with this over our last few flights. They are definitely giving companion pass holders and their companion consecutive numbers. Here's how I think it works - whoever of the pair checks in first reserves the first two available boarding positions and gets assigned the later of the two. The one who hasn't yet checked in gets assigned the first of the two. Doesn't matter which is the companion or the pass holder. So, if I, the companion, check in first and A49 and A50 are the first available, I get A50 and my wife (the pass holder) gets A49. If I were the pass holder and she were the companion we'd still get the same numbers.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Does anyone have knowledge of what happens when the CP "Holder" (also A+) is booked BS and the Companion (with no status) is added?
dlaue and synergistic like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Does anyone have knowledge of what happens when the CP "Holder" (also A+) is booked BS and the Companion (with no status) is added?
The Southwest Reservation System explodes?
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:41 pm

Weird result, I am A List and wife is no status companion, checked in today, consecutive numbers as we thought. However, when we printed boarding passes, hers printed with a drink coupon and said "thanks for upgrading your ticket to business select." So not sure if that's how they do the place holder for non status people, but just something that had changed since we last flew back in December.
ursine1 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by figment7
Weird result, I am A List and wife is no status companion, checked in today, consecutive numbers as we thought. However, when we printed boarding passes, hers printed with a drink coupon and said "thanks for upgrading your ticket to business select." So not sure if that's how they do the place holder for non status people, but just something that had changed since we last flew back in December.
Were they serving drinks on the flight? If not the coupon had no value.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Were they serving drinks on the flight? If not the coupon had no value.
only that it says drink coupons have been extended until Dec 2021 for future use just like all those drink vouchers people are holding onto until drink service resumes. So it does hold future value. Hence I was just asking if anyone else was having the same issue/experience.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 1:25 am

Southwest has said they're extending expiration dates on drink coupons thru 2021, but I'm not sure if that applies to BS coupons, which technically are only good on the day they're issued. I suspect that once Southwest gets back to actually serving more than just water, FAs will probably be very accommodating, at least initially. But for BS ones, who knows?

To the original point, that's certainly odd, and I've not seen that reported previously. After the flight, check to see if the points earned are more than expected. Maybe there's been a customer-positive glitch.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest has said they're extending expiration dates on drink coupons thru 2021, but I'm not sure if that applies to BS coupons, which technically are only good on the day they're issued. I suspect that once Southwest gets back to actually serving more than just water, FAs will probably be very accommodating, at least initially. But for BS ones, who knows?

To the original point, that's certainly odd, and I've not seen that reported previously. After the flight, check to see if the points earned are more than expected. Maybe there's been a customer-positive glitch.
I will check for any points since it’s a companion should be easy to figure out. The coupon on the app specifically says keep this and once we start service again you can use it later so we will see once service starts up again. Def a weird quirk that I didn’t have when flying in December getting companion a sequential boarding pass.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 8:06 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I just earned a CP for the first time in a decade or so thanks to the Premier Business Sign-Up Bonus and did a TQP-run at the end of last year to get A-List as well thanks to the free points they gave folks, and then unexpectedly my wife can now get a CP for four months due to the latest CP promotion. My question is with the changes to how CP and companions are handled for A-Listers, I think I understand but want to confirm. We are a family of four, so for our trips each kid will be one of the adult's companion on a Companion Pass. I will book my wife and I together on one reservation, so she will get the benefit of my A-List status for boarding position. Then my Companion will also get the benefit of my A-List status for boarding position. That leaves one kid with no A-List benefit for boarding position, so I'll probably just buy them Early Bird. Am I understanding the new rules correctly in terms of who my A-List boarding benefits now extend to?
nsx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.