Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by tmiw
In fairness, WN has gates in both circles and the eastern wing with gates 1-2. SAN really should find a way to have an airside connection for all of them.

In real fairness, nobody will argue that San Diego's airport deserves an award for being comfortable, easy to navigate, or not crowded.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dlaue
In real fairness, nobody will argue that San Diego's airport deserves an award for being comfortable, easy to navigate, or not crowded.
Eh, T2 is now pretty decent after having been remodeled and expanded. It's really more a function of T1 having been built more than 50 years ago than anything else.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
It takes you a half day navigating the circle of death to find one of eight gates?
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Next time you’re there, you may wish to consider asking for help after an hour or two of walking in circles.
It's apparent the OP was exaggerating and being sarcastic. SAN is universally a for WN passengers...lots of threads about it.

Best/Worst WN Terminals
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1521890-southwest-san-diego.html

san diego - Fly By Lane ?
Southwest using gate 11 in San Diego (SAN)
Connection at SAN
Texas Booster likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Let me make this simple for you, because your guess does not make any sense.

If there is a strong demand for Hawaiian routes at SMF, HA would not downgauge given the practical monopoly. Instead, HA can switch to A330 to replace B767. If still not possible, HA can add second daily flights to cover.

The downgauge is a clear indication that the market is not viable.
SMF-OGG is a AS monopoly. WN picked the 4 markets where they are strong, with no legacy presence and many AS monopolies. This entrance is part of their California turf war with AS to drive down yields on their most profitable markets.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
LAS is a tourist city for Hawaiians heading to LAS. I'm surprised WN doesn't see this as a way to fill the planes both ways. @:-)
You don't really want 2 tourist locations fighting against each other.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I suggest you reach out to WN...
If I ever need to reach out to WN, I would suggest Gary Kelly to resign instead discussing the SMF market

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I think that SMF will be used by WN to manage flights from the East Coast. IIRC it is an underserved airport with plenty of expansion potential.
The problem is when it is underserved, the airspace may not be able to handle additional traffic even WN is willing to invest.

(SMF shares its airspace with SFO/OAK/SJC traffic.)

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Are all those markets "not viable"?
Yes.

Airlines have many reasons to make equipment change decisions. When an airline permanently downgauges the equipment for a particular route, it is a good indicator that it is not viable to use the same equipment.

(FWIW - there are demands from SMF to Hawaii. But in the perspective of HA, it is not viable to use wide-body but narrow-body instead.)

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce
Northern California is more than just the Bay area and SMF has been cutting airline fees and costs to attract more nonstop flights out of SMF.
Cutting fees won't help when you don't have enough revenue.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
You don't really want 2 tourist locations fighting against each other.
By that logic, there would be no LAS-HNL flights on other carriers now, but HA does very well. And there would be no WN flights LAS-MCO or or LAS-MSY.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
By that logic, there would be no LAS-HNL flights on other carriers now, but HA does very well. And there would be no WN flights LAS-MCO or or LAS-MSY.
Of course there are other reasons why LAS is not a good starting point. This is just one of them.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Of course there are other reasons why LAS is not a good starting point. This is just one of them.
Then maybe start with one of those instead of this illogical one? <shrugs>
roundtree likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
WN is taking a conservative stance on the 737 MAX Hawaii operations by not including LAS or PHX. They probably want to see how the aircraft performs in practice before using it in a hot/high environment. PHX is probably at the limit of the range in practice (and please don't quote Boeing specs here, I'm well aware of them). Perhaps the MAX will magically overperform like the 757 did, but why take chances?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Alaska is offering more $169 flights to several HA airports, and even a $329 from Austin. I still can see a number of $276 OW fares from Austin, and a RT for about $600.

Looks like they will be pulling in travelers that won't wait for WN to set the HA schedule.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by formeraa
WN is taking a conservative stance on the 737 MAX Hawaii operations by not including LAS or PHX. They probably want to see how the aircraft performs in practice before using it in a hot/high environment. PHX is probably at the limit of the range in practice (and please don't quote Boeing specs here, I'm well aware of them). Perhaps the MAX will magically overperform like the 757 did, but why take chances?
The Max range is 3,850 nm, this opens up routes such as Denver to Honolulu which is 3,365 nm (purely based on math and ignoring weather). I would think LAS/PHX/etc will not be an issue once they get settled in on the routes.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Alaska is offering more $169 flights to several HA airports, and even a $329 from Austin. I still can see a number of $276 OW fares from Austin, and a RT for about $600.

Looks like they will be pulling in travelers that won't wait for WN to set the HA schedule.
Seen continuous on again/off again sales by AS/HA/DL/UA as each one is jockeying against the others to protect/expand their turf on the West Coast to/from Hawaii routes. AS had $99 fares appear a couple of times this year. WN will just add to that whenever their schedule is announced and fares go on sale.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Hopefully SWA learned its lesson and won't sell flights without required approvals in hand.
What approval is needed for a domestic flight?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrMan
What approval is needed for a domestic flight?
I believe it was an issue of the choice of words.

Instead of approval, because WN does not have any overwater ops (IIRC), so WN has to make sure all equipment and personnel are up to the overwater ops standard.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I believe it was an issue of the choice of words.

Instead of approval, because WN does not have any overwater ops (IIRC), so WN has to make sure all equipment and personnel are up to the overwater ops standard.
WN has plenty of over water ops. How do you think they get to all those Caribbean destinations? I think you are thinking of ETOPS for the longer over water operation needed to fly to and from Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.