Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
VS/AS and UA had a flash 1-day sale yesterdsy from sfo/lax/sjc to all the hawaii islands. I noticed this on the FT mileage run forum. I can only hope that the Southwest competition next year will make fare sales like this more common.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN applying to rent space in Hawaii airports.

What Southwest Airlines' application to rent space at Lihue
sdsearch, N830MH and mile ho like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I'm of the opinion some of these other carriers are doing flash sales or other incentives to take business off the table that might be waiting on SWA to start service. Not everybody can fly on a whim and some are seeing value in sales today vs maybe decent fares in the future. A lower fare on this carrier beats no fare that ends up on SWA. Potentially also taking business away from SWA the carrier could have been anticipating.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I wholeheartedly support any and all AS flash sales to Hawaii! ^

Recently went to the Big Island...SAN-KOA was $169 per person each way.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by Wingrider
I'm of the opinion some of these other carriers are doing flash sales or other incentives to take business off the table that might be waiting on SWA to start service. Not everybody can fly on a whim and some are seeing value in sales today vs maybe decent fares in the future. A lower fare on this carrier beats no fare that ends up on SWA. Potentially also taking business away from SWA the carrier could have been anticipating.
That is exactly what happened to me. I have the CP since later year. I have been waiting for SWA to go to HI since last year, and since it is not happening this year when I loose my CP, I booked with Delta on one of their $350 fares from ORD to HI.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Wingrider
It has nothing to do with Southwest at this point. There is robust competition in the Hawaii markets already. United is seriously ramping up service to Hawaii, for example. Alaska's acquisition of VX gives it more flights to Hawaii. So, even without WN, we are seeing a ton of competition.

When Southwest loads its initial schedule, there will inevitably be another round of sales/competitive response.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'd hate to be halfway to Hawaii when a fan blade breaks like earlier this week. Yikes!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by geo979
I'd hate to be halfway to Hawaii when a fan blade breaks like earlier this week. Yikes!
Well...the good news is WN will be using newer aircrafts on this route due to technical requirement. So it will not happen, at least for a while.

The bad news is IRROPS in HI can be tough.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by geo979
I'd hate to be halfway to Hawaii when ANYTHING happens.

Er, um...when was the last time anything happened on a flight to Hawaii? @:-)
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'd hate to be halfway to Hawaii when ANYTHING happens.

Er, um...when was the last time anything happened on a flight to Hawaii? @:-)
What happens in the middle of the ocean stays in the middle of the ocean!

lougord99 and cop35758 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG ambassador spire elite, AA platinum
The problem I am hearing has to do with the mechanics union and negotiations. Im being told at this time WN is GTG except that the mechanics union is holding everything up. I was told little progress has been made concerning the Hawaii route as far as negotiations at this time.
The ETOPS certs are GTG

They are indeed going to use the Max aircraft. I hate the seats in those planes

Sorry I cant disclose sources, but they are high up at WN.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Price alone won't do it. Those are long flights and people coming from elsewhere have an even longer journey. There are a lot of people willing to pay for just a little bit of comfort such as E+ on UA.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nbirnbaum2
The problem I am hearing has to do with the mechanics union and negotiations. Im being told at this time WN is GTG except that the mechanics union is holding everything up. I was told little progress has been made concerning the Hawaii route as far as negotiations at this time.
The ETOPS certs are GTG

They are indeed going to use the Max aircraft. I hate the seats in those planes

Sorry I cant disclose sources, but they are high up at WN.
Sorry for asking so many questions but I’m hoping you’ll have the answer to some of them. Is WN now only going to use the MAX to Hawaii? It was originally reported that service would start on the -800 but later switch to the MAX but has this plan been scrapped and it will be MAX from day 1? Also it was reported that permits have been granted for WN to operate out of HNL and LIH but I haven’t heard anything on KOA or OGG. Is WN still working on the permits for those two airports or will those not be apart of day 1 operations?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Is WN now only going to use the MAX to Hawaii? It was originally reported that service would start on the -800 but later switch to the MAX but has this plan been scrapped and it will be MAX from day 1?
That's a good question. (All of WN's 737-800s are new enough that they won't need an immediate fan blade inspection per new FAA criteria.)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
All of WN's 737-800s are new enough that they won't need an immediate fan blade inspection per new FAA criteria.
Unless mechanics previously swapped suspect blades across the fleet, as reported. Otherwise, 737-800s that use the engines in the order haven't been used enough times to be subject to it.

But the FAA 20-day order is explicitly tied to manufacturer's guidance. CFM recommends inspections by the end of August for fan blades with 20,000 cycles and inspections to all other fan blades when they reach 20,000 cycles. It's impossible to rule out subsequent FAA directives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.