WN going to Hawaii

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by sdsearch
In other words, he's saying that people won't mind connecting to Hawaii in California, as way of placating those lamenting that he's not planning (initial) service to Hawaii nonstop from Las Vegas.
Heck, if it's a through flight, they won't mind at all. Stampede to the exit row during deplaning at LAX.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
A quote in the airline's March in-flight magazine states "[W]e will begin selling tickets to Hawaii later this year." No claim about operating those flights this year. But also no "maybe" language around beginning to sell them in 2018.

Last edited by darthbimmer; Mar 21, 2018 at 11:34 pm Reason: Correct typo
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I looked into this back in October. It's posted on page 9. Even without red-eye flights, Southwest can get customers from Hawaii back to some parts of the East Coast on a single connection through Las Vegas. [Note: These options were valid when they were posted. I'm not checking to see if these are still valid as of today.]

HNL-LAS: 7am departure, 2:35pm arrival (flight time based on Hawaiian's current nonstop)

Possible Connections to Existing Nonstop Flights:
LAS-BWI: 3:30pm departure, 11:00pm arrival
LAS-TPA: 4:10pm departure, 11:20pm arrival
LAS-PHL: 4:40pm departure, 12:10am arrival
LAS-FLL: 4:45pm departure, 12:20am arrival
LAS-MCO: 5:10pm departure, 12:35am arrival
LAS-PIT: 5:45pm departure, 12:45am arrival
LAS-RDU: 5:45pm departure, 1:00am arrival
Wow...connections to SEVEN cities in the East. That is HUGE!!! And everyone wants to be at the airport at 5am when leaving Hawaii! You just have to get up at 3am, check out of the hotel by 4:30am, and get to the airport.
oopsz likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
An quote in the airline's March in-flight magazine states "[W]e will begin selling tickets to Hawaii later this year." No claim about operating those flights this year. But also no "maybe" language around beginning to sell them in 2018.
Hopefully SWA learned its lesson and won't sell flights without required approvals in hand.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Hopefully SWA learned its lesson and won't sell flights without required approvals in hand.
When and what routes did they get burned before? Just curious as I have seen the warning about them selling prior to approval and "not expecting" problems.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
When and what routes did they get burned before? Just curious as I have seen the warning about them selling prior to approval and "not expecting" problems.
Mexico
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Southwest Airlines granted permit for space at Honolulu airport
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Lost
Which is, last I knew, another country. Vs. Hawaii, which is another state. A bit of a difference regarding "gaining approvals," yes?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:28 am

Perhaps in that Southwest is unlikely/unable to sell tickets prior to ETOPS certification, yes.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: UA1K
i wonder what cities they will serve from the mainland
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:44 am

There's no indication they'll fly anywhere but HNL. There is some speculation they'll do a code share or other agreement to provide inter-island service, but IMHO that's a longshot.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
There's no indication they'll fly anywhere but HNL. There is some speculation they'll do a code share or other agreement to provide inter-island service, but IMHO that's a longshot.
Well, if you were an airline, would you apply for a permit to fly to a smaller island in Hawaii before you had a permit for HNL in hand?

So I wouldn't necessarily read into this announcement that they're not trying for other airports in Hawaii too. Since they didn't announce they were trying for HNL until they actually got the permit, how would we know what else they've already applied for or are about to apply for? They probably won't announce any other plans (beyond the hazy generalities they've already announced) until they've nailed them down.

Meanwhile, I think the vast majority of people from the mainland visit one island of Hawaii at a time, so IMHO it's not the end of the world if Southwest starts out with service only to one or more island directly, but no capability (either their own or codeshared) for inter-island travel. And I agree the codeshare approach is a longshot, given both Southwest's tepid record on codeshares as well as no "obvious" partner in Hawaii. (An "obvious" partner would be an intra-Hawaii-only LCC which does not see Southwest Hawaii-to-mainland service as competition.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 20, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:03 pm

I wasn't basing my opinion on the airport announcement.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
It would not surprise me to see a schedule with direct 1-stop flights with two landings in Hawaii with similar on the return.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:52 pm

Southwest has always pushed for high utilization of planes and crew. Adding additional flights within Hawaii would help with that. They could also also start flights away from the coast then contine on to Hawaii, reaching more cities on the mainland.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.