Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:12 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by N830MH
You can bring your own meals from your home or you can buy some at airport concessions. You can make your own sandwich at home. That way you can eat on the plane. You can have your own foods for more than 5 hours flight from West Coast to Hawaii.
I live on the east coast so it is going to take me a lot longer than 5 hours to get to Hawaii. I don't want to make my food at home for a flight. I do know I can buy food at concessions my point is I don't want to have to.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by atomicfront
I live on the east coast so it is going to take me a lot longer than 5 hours to get to Hawaii. I don't want to make my food at home for a flight. I do know I can buy food at concessions my point is I don't want to have to.
Max range on a 787 Max 8 is 4045mi, LGA to HNL is 4965mi, FLL to HNL is 4855mi, you won't be flying direct from the east coast to HNL on WN. Guess it means you will have a chance to grab food before your final legal.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Southwest's first Red Eye?

Originally Posted by atomicfront
So, is it Hawaii that will change Southwest's Red Eye Flight culture? For people from East Coast, you would have to fly red-eye or overnight at a city for their return to East Coast from Hawaii. Currently Southwest have no transcon red-eyes.

As for logistics, I don't believe Southwest has Rafts, flotation seats, nor refrigeration or oven on any of its aircrafts (except ice)...... In order to serve fresh or cooked food, refrigeration or oven is needed.....

and probably need more lavatory than two....

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Oct 17, 2017 at 10:38 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
So, is it Hawaii that will change Southwest's Red Eye Flight culture? For people from East Coast, you would have to fly red-eye or overnight at a city for their return to East Coast from Hawaii. Currently Southwest have no transcon red-eyes.
There was a technology issue which is supposed to be fixed. I also believe there were some provisions in the pilots contract as well. Those were hopefully fixed in the last extension.

I don't believe Southwest has Rafts, flotation seats,
At least some aircraft are equipped for over water operation and new aircraft are being added every month.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
At least some aircraft are equipped for over water operation and new aircraft are being added every month.
Yes, don't they need to fly over water to some of their new international destinations?

If so, I presume they had to start equipping for over water operation once they started some over water international routes.

But don't planes need to be equipped for over-water even just flying MSY to FLL (unless they go the very long way around always over land)?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:49 pm

As for logistics, I don't believe Southwest has Rafts, flotation seats
Some of the used -700s that were acquired have rafts installed, and some of the new build -800s came factory certified ETOPS (the N83xx birds), which includes rafts. In addition, every single plane in the fleet has life vests under the seats. It's always interesting to see who is paying attention to the safety demo
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by fiuchris
Some of the used -700s that were acquired have rafts installed, and some of the new build -800s came factory certified ETOPS (the N83xx birds), which includes rafts. In addition, every single plane in the fleet has life vests under the seats. It's always interesting to see who is paying attention to the safety demo
Some of the 700s acquired from Airtran were also ETOPS equipped.
fiuchris likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch

But don't planes need to be equipped for over-water even just flying MSY to FLL (unless they go the very long way around always over land)?
They do not need ETOPS equipment for that flight, its always close enough to an airport.
ETOPS = "Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards".
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Nope, as long as you are within a certain amount of time (IIRC 60-90 mins) of the coast.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tusphotog
They ran the flight with a 737-700. Same with SNA. The -700 has much better performance out of "short" field airports (like BUR/SNA) than the -800s.
FWIW - Boeing has a special B738 edition designed for short field airport (B737-800 SFP).

Originally Posted by formeraa
And analysts have said, "Oh, Southwest can't compete with brand x at yyy because they are too strong" and yet Southwest is still around serving major markets.
Hawaii is a different market. You can't really blame analysts have doubts.

Originally Posted by formeraa
As for checked bags, is Hawaii any different than some of the Caribbean or Central America destinations that WN is now serving?
Yes. Hawaiian baggage are subject to additional agriculture inspection, but not customs.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Why does WN need to allocate aircraft for inter-island service?
What if the aircraft turns mechanical during the inter-island runs?

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Companion Pass. Permanent BOGO to Hawaii. A dream for many tens of thousands of blog readers, especially honeymooners.

And with WN CCs and transferable URs, the first ticket will be on points for a LOT of people.

Will be very interesting to watch the financials on this.
That's why at the beginning, the pricing will be similar to those mainline.

Red-eyes flights are crucial to the operations of any airlines ex-Hawaii.

So it is a matter of when WN to get its first.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:07 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Playing devil's advocate, I think it's possible that Southwest could start serving Hawaii without red eyes (and not serving the east coast at launch). We've already had several threads about being unable to book flights from the west coast to Costa Rica (unless you book separate PNRs and do an overnight), so it's not without precedent to serve new locations that aren't reachable from parts of the network.

Current morning flights from HNL (on Hawaiian and United, leaving around 7 and 8am) arrive at LAX around 2:30 and 3:30pm. Within current WN schedules, that's plenty of time to make connections as far east as the midwest on the same day. Though the early departure out of HNL would likely mean that Southwest would have to fly the west coast to HNL route in the afternoon and overnight the plane in HNL instead of the quick turnarounds they seem to do in lots of outstations.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ryw
Current morning flights from HNL (on Hawaiian and United, leaving around 7 and 8am) arrive at LAX around 2:30 and 3:30pm. Within current WN schedules, that's plenty of time to make connections as far east as the midwest on the same day.
WN does not and will not pay for the hotel. If the fare does not absorb the extra expenses, the route is destined for cancellation.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:08 am

I don't believe that's entirely true. Although most airlines require red-eye flights in this scenario, Southwest could conceivably still get passengers back to the some East Coast cities using daytime flights.

Example:
HNL-LAS: 7am departure, 2:35pm arrival (flight time based on Hawaiian's current nonstop)

Possible Connections to Existing Nonstop Flights:
LAS-BWI: 3:30pm departure, 11:00pm arrival
LAS-TPA: 4:10pm departure, 11:20pm arrival
LAS-PHL: 4:40pm departure, 12:10am arrival
LAS-FLL: 4:45pm departure, 12:20am arrival
LAS-MCO: 5:10pm departure, 12:35am arrival
LAS-PIT: 5:45pm departure, 12:45am arrival
LAS-RDU: 5:45pm departure, 1:00am arrival

Southwest could even send the HNL-LAS plane back to a Hawaiian airport on the same day. Their planes sit empty at some airport over night. Why not have it sit idle in Hawaii?

Please note: I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I do think that adding red-eye flights would be a wise business decision. That change would only increase the number of potential passengers.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They can run out 737-800's now?
of course they can; Norwegian has used 737-800s across the Atlantic, which is a longer overseas trek than to Hawaii.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
of course they can; Norwegian has used 737-800s across the Atlantic, which is a longer overseas trek than to Hawaii.
North Atlantic tracks commonly take aircraft no further than 60 minutes flight time from diversion points like Dublin, Reykjavik, southern Greenland, and Gander or Goose Bay. Continental U.S. to Hawaii requires 180-minute ETOPS.

http://aerosavvy.com/etops/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.