Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by tmiw
Aren't most aircraft really not suited for frequent short flights? IIRC, that's why Hawaiian flies 717s between the islands.
Aloha flew 737's for decades inter-island.

Southwest started by flying Dallas-Houston-San Antonio-Dallas, basically the same thing.

Makes perfect sense to me!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by nsx
Adding interisland flights would be icing on the cake.
Very sweet icing indeed. Would love to see that.

Originally Posted by tmiw
Aren't most aircraft really not suited for frequent short flights? IIRC, that's why Hawaiian flies 717s between the islands.
Many engines are not, no. But I believe it's mainly an issue if the short stage lengths are flown over and over all day long. A flight here or there isn't going to hurt anything in the long-run. HNL-KOA/ITO are longer than some of WN's current flights anyway. And maybe the MAX engine handles them better. I don't know.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Aloha flew 737's for decades inter-island.

Southwest started by flying Dallas-Houston-San Antonio-Dallas, basically the same thing.

Makes perfect sense to me!
Precisely correct! AQ does flew 737-200 aircraft. It's very old aircraft.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Now, the speculation begins as to how WN will connect Hawaii to the Midwest, Southern, and East Coast cities. Redeye flights out of Hawaii and/or redeye flights from the West Coast to Midwest/East/Southern focus cities???
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: HH Silver
So they are saying tickets will go on sale in 2018. That makes me think flights will start in 2019, or is this just how they normally word things?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hnl808
Apparently they are actually considering this?

"Southwest executives also acknowledged that they are evaluating offering interisland travel — a move that would cut into Hawaiian Airlines’ stranglehold in the islands and potentially hurt smaller local carriers Island Air, Mokulele Airlines and Makani Kai Air. In addition, Southwest said it is considering nonstop flights to neighbor islands."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/1...ce-on-the-way/
Every airline is considering everything every day of the week. It's actually news when there are specific start dates and airport pairs.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Every airline is considering everything every day of the week. It's actually news when there are specific start dates and airport pairs.
If they were not serious about going/selling to Hawaii or bother pursuing ETOPS mx certification for their mechanics or putting in for FAA ETOPS certification (which they expect to get), why even bother putting out the news as such a big deal or make such a production over it? Its a lot of confidence and a big "to do" if they weren't so serious about it happening. Not to mention, they're putting them in a huge PR hole they put themselves in if it doesn't happen.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SEC would be unamused if LUV were promulgating vapor-news.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by formeraa
Now, the speculation begins as to how WN will connect Hawaii to the Midwest, Southern, and East Coast cities. Redeye flights out of Hawaii and/or redeye flights from the West Coast to Midwest/East/Southern focus cities???
Well if its like the current international service to certain stations, they'll sell you one PNR to get there but its up to you to piece together and figure out your way back!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:54 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Seat13c
If they were not serious about going/selling to Hawaii or bother pursuing ETOPS mx certification for their mechanics or putting in for FAA ETOPS certification (which they expect to get), why even bother putting out the news as such a big deal or make such a production over it? Its a lot of confidence and a big "to do" if they weren't so serious about it happening. Not to mention, they're putting them in a huge PR hole they put themselves in if it doesn't happen.
The comment was not about flying to Hawaii, it is in regards to the statement about interisland flying they are thinking about doing. Two entirely different items.

Yes Aloha did it in the past with 737's, however as pointed out this was done with the 200's. Aloha tries it with non-200 versions of the 737 as well and it didn't work as there is not enough ground time for the engines to cool. This is why the 717's are used on those routes by HA. The only way interisland flying could work with their fleet is using a triangle route. OAK-HNL-OGG-OAK. Also keep in mind that some additional time on ground is usually required due to ETOPS checks which take place as well on the engines.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tatterdema
So they are saying tickets will go on sale in 2018. That makes me think flights will start in 2019, or is this just how they normally word things?
I suspect the flights will start with the next schedule release for 2018.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
So you think they will start flights as soon as July or Aug? That will be interesting to see, but I do hope so.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by wrp96
Do you know the date for the schedule release?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:07 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Do you know the date for the schedule release?
November 2 for travel through August 12:
https://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index...ension_history

So no flights to Hawaii before August 13.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I doubt that any marketer would say "we'll sell tickets in 2018" if they could say, "we'll start service in 2018." Sounds like 2019 start is planned.
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.