Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by nbirnbaum2
The ETOPS certs are GTG
No they are not. Pilot training has not started.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by geo979
I'd hate to be halfway to Hawaii when a fan blade breaks like earlier this week. Yikes!
Remember, ETOPS is short for "Emergency? Then Our Passengers Swim!"
SoonerRed likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Remember, ETOPS is short for "Emergency? Then Our Passengers Swim!"
I thought it was Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"We continue to expect to begin selling tickets in 2018 for service to Hawaii, and today we announce our intent to begin service to four Hawaiian airports: HonoluluInternational Airport, Lihue Airport, Kona International Airport at Keahole, and Kahului Airport." - CEO Gary Kelly in today's earnings release. Southwest Reports First Quarter Profit ? Southwest Airlines
nsx, sdsearch, N830MH and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:57 pm

I suspect service will start in early 2019 to HNL and eventually ramp up to include the others. I understand that negotiations with the mechanics union have gotten more complicated following the SW1380 incident. Along with ETOPS certification, there are a few hurdles left to clear.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ursine1
I suspect service will start in early 2019 to HNL and eventually ramp up to include the others. I understand that negotiations with the mechanics union have gotten more complicated following the SW1380 incident. Along with ETOPS certification, there are a few hurdles left to clear.
Yes, as long if they have an agreements. Hopefully FAA will be approval for ETOPS overwater certification.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN wants to fly to 4 Hawaii airports

Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Same info but from SWA,

https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...rts/ba-p/72551
sdsearch likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Southwest president Tom Nealon Southwest will begin inter-islands flights in near the future.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...nd-routes.html
“We will start interisland service once we build up our network and have enough frequency to make it meaningful,” Nealon said, adding that introducing interisland service by the end of next year would be “an awesome accomplishment.”
Carfield likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, WN CP, AS MVP75
California Cities known

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento and San Diego

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/n...icehawaii.html
N830MH and roundtree like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice! Still no PHX, LAS, LAX, PDX, SEA. I was hoping they will fly nonstop from PHX to Hawaii by operated 737-MAX8.
Old May 3, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The Northern California choices are okay, but SAN doesn't seem that great. On the flip-side it might lower SAN to Hawaii fares even further. I am not sure what AS is going to do. I think AS could improve its soft product, but it is just heading the other direction and doesn't see people purchasing based on anything but price.

I think SNA would have been an inspired choice, but probably wasn't likely due to connection limitations. I agree that PHX or LAS would have been okay too.

Rasheed
Old May 3, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by N830MH
Nice! Still no PHX, LAS, LAX, PDX, SEA. I was hoping they will fly nonstop from PHX to Hawaii by operated 737-MAX8.
PHX & LAS are concerns in hot weather, moreso with aircraft that are having to go out loaded and are already close to being stretched-to-the-limit on ranges.

Our friend may happen along here in a bit and be so kind as to explain further.

Check Density Altitude
LegalTender likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rasheed
The Northern California choices are okay, but SAN doesn't seem that great.
Actually, I believe the Southern California choice is okay, the Northern are not.

Southern - Among LAX/SAN/LAS, they are pretty much similar except LAS is a base rather than focus cities. However, LAS is a tourist city (as well as the added distance) and LAX is a busy airport. So SAN looks best among 3.

Northern - As I have said earlier, OAK will definitely get 1 route to HI. SJC is a good choice if WN wants to go after AS or HA. However, SMF? Seriously?
Old May 3, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by garykung

Northern - As I have said earlier, OAK will definitely get 1 route to HI. SJC is a good choice if WN wants to go after AS or HA. However, SMF? Seriously?
I think SMF is a decent choice because currently there are only 2 daily flights to HW: One on HA to HNL on a 767 that will shortly be downgraded to an A321neo and AS to OGG. Flights to HNL are consistently in the $600-800 range compared to flights from the bay area for around $500-600. Not only that, but AS has been ramping up flight to SMF and I imagine this is a way to get more loyalty out of the travelers based here.

Of course, I could be a little biased since I live here and am excited to use my companion pass to get to the islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.