WN going to Hawaii

Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
So, is it Hawaii that will change Southwest's Red Eye Flight culture? For people from East Coast, you would have to fly red-eye or overnight at a city for their return to East Coast from Hawaii. Currently Southwest have no transcon red-eyes.

As for logistics, I don't believe Southwest has Rafts, flotation seats, nor refrigeration or oven on any of its aircrafts (except ice)...... In order to serve fresh or cooked food, refrigeration or oven is needed.....

and probably need more lavatory than two....

Jiburi
Their seats floats, many have rafts
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MrMan
Their seats floats, many have rafts
Correct. They do have floats seats device, and liferaft, too.

Originally Posted by irishguy28
of course they can; Norwegian has used 737-800s across the Atlantic, which is a longer overseas trek than to Hawaii.
There is correct. Some airlines does have 737-800 aircraft and they can fly across the Atlantic Ocean & Transpacific, too.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Hawaii is a different market. You can't really blame analysts have doubts.
Besides the need for ETOPS, it really isn't that different from other tourist destinations from an airline perspective.

Yes. Hawaiian baggage are subject to additional agriculture inspection, but not customs.
That's really a stretch...you know I wasn't referring to that. Plus, as a passenger, I put my bag up on the belt for screening before I check it in with the airline. Other than taking a few more minutes before check-in, it doesn't really affect Southwest in any way.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ryw
Playing devil's advocate, I think it's possible that Southwest could start serving Hawaii without red eyes (and not serving the east coast at launch). We've already had several threads about being unable to book flights from the west coast to Costa Rica (unless you book separate PNRs and do an overnight), so it's not without precedent to serve new locations that aren't reachable from parts of the network.

Current morning flights from HNL (on Hawaiian and United, leaving around 7 and 8am) arrive at LAX around 2:30 and 3:30pm. Within current WN schedules, that's plenty of time to make connections as far east as the midwest on the same day. Though the early departure out of HNL would likely mean that Southwest would have to fly the west coast to HNL route in the afternoon and overnight the plane in HNL instead of the quick turnarounds they seem to do in lots of outstations.
You are absolutely correct, there. I've been playing around with potential schedules. They could also have one flight pair in/out of OAK that connects to other Western destinations. The connecting flights would have to arrival into OAK around 7:30am or so and depart OAK around 9:30pm or so.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Mechanics threaten to derail Hawaii service:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...wrench-in.html
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Companion Pass. Permanent BOGO to Hawaii. A dream for many tens of thousands of blog readers, especially honeymooners.

And with WN CCs and transferable URs, the first ticket will be on points for a LOT of people.

Will be very interesting to watch the financials on this.
This. I'm going to be very interested in whether Hawaii goes live with "standard" RR/CP rules and, if so, what the mix of award vs. paid users on the Hawaii route looks like.

Downside to a simple rebate-based program: there aren't really any "sweet spots" to exploit as there are with a miles-based program.

Upside: the difficulty of redeeming miles for Hawaii in a traditional program makes it a huge differentiator for WN. This becomes THE place to play your RR points. Value-per-point isn't the differentiator: the mere ability to get the seat is.

Unless, of course, the rules change to deter it.

Originally Posted by atomicfront
I live on the east coast so it is going to take me a lot longer than 5 hours to get to Hawaii. I don't want to make my food at home for a flight. I do know I can buy food at concessions my point is I don't want to have to.
My guess: they'll roll out an "enhanced snack box" for Hawaii. They could do something similar to the AA Bistro Bag of a few years back and not need to retrofit the planes with additional equipment. (I actually liked the AA Bistro Bag since it was a simple deli sandwich that nobody had the opportunity to grossly overcook.)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
My guess: they'll roll out an "enhanced snack box" for Hawaii. They could do something similar to the AA Bistro Bag of a few years back and not need to retrofit the planes with additional equipment. (I actually liked the AA Bistro Bag since it was a simple deli sandwich that nobody had the opportunity to grossly overcook.)
Oh, pinniped, you date yourself. AA Bistro Bags go back more than 20 years. From an AA spokesperson, back in the day:

Bistro is a snack service, offered for coach passengers on flights of around two to three hours.

Of course, this dates, me, too.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...o-bag-sandwich
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Oh, pinniped, you date yourself. AA Bistro Bags go back more than 20 years.
Wow...where does the time go?!?

Back then, I'm sure some people thought of it as a downgrade from a full meal. Today, it would be seen as a seriously premium offering!!
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mechanics threaten to derail Hawaii service:

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...wrench-in.html
Now what?!?! What is going on?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by N830MH
Now what?!?! What is going on?
Remember years ago when most of the WN flights were grounded due to maintenance issues?

Basically this is an extension.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
A few more details on Hawaii

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...d-service.html
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember years ago when most of the WN flights were grounded due to maintenance issues?

NO! I didn't even know that! I have no idea what happened to them. Did they grounded due to maintenance issues?

I can't go into it. Can you please make a copy the news article and posts it here. Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by N830MH
NO! I didn't even know that! I have no idea what happened to them. Did they grounded due to maintenance issues?
See here:

Southwest Airlines grounds 128 planes over missed inspections

WN to ground 737-700 fleet

Unfortunately, this was only the latest occurrence. WN has a history not to do this properly.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 3:30 pm

"most" flights were not grounded. Please, this is crazy talk!

Can't wait for WN HI service (and seeing where else ETOPS takes them).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:49 am

Well, you're going to be waiting. A year at least, possibly longer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.