Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Flight 362 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Southwest Flight 362 Engine Failure

This morning 10/10/17 flight 362 from Philly to Nashville Row 20 Seat F. Loud explosion outside cabin looked down and there was fire shooting down the fuselage of the plane. Blue / Orange color... Stopped flight attendant and she ran to rear of plane and must have called the pilot. During this time the flame turned to orange sparks. Flight attendant returns and asks if the flame is gone.. Answer is YES! All cabin lights come on and the pilot talks on the intercom that we have lost an engine but the plane for now is flying fine 100 miles to touchdown in Nashville. I and my wife had many thoughts and prayers going through our heads over the next 45 minutes.The man on our isle was a retired Air Force pilot and he explained to us the different scenarios of what was going on. He even told us when the plane lands the tail would fish tail back and forth and it did... Scary moments and all passengers clapped when we landed safely.. Stewardess over the intercom passengers continuing to San Antonio would need another plane... I am not making this up look at the flight aware website 10/10/17 SWA flight 362 path. ^^ to the Southwest Pilots for a JOB WELL DONE!!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Glad you and everyone is safe and sound. Sounds like the crew did a great job! When flying is rough or I’m not sure if this or that sound is normal, it is comforting to have a pilot sitting near you. If they freak, you freak. If they snooze through it you snooze too.
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Wow, that had to be a morning eye opener. Amazing how it seems like such as non event, just a long very straight in final for the runway. I guess employing the one reverse thrust causes the fishtailing, the runways there too short to forgo them?
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Yes what a way to start the day... I am still trying to put it into perspective. From what i have seen this situation is pretty rare... I need to buy a lottery ticket today.
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pond fisher
Yes what a way to start the day... I am still trying to put it into perspective. From what i have seen this situation is pretty rare... I need to buy a lottery ticket today.
If it makes you feel better, everything worked as expected today. The pilots are trained for this situation. The plane is manufactured with this is mind. You landed safely with no injuries. This is a GOOD thing.
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

This morning 10/10/17 flight 362 from Philly to Nashville Row 20 Seat F. Loud explosion outside cabin looked down and there was fire shooting down the fuselage of the plane. Blue / Orange color... Stopped flight attendant and she ran to rear of plane and must have called the pilot. During this time the flame turned to orange sparks. Flight attendant returns and asks if the flame is gone.. Answer is YES! All cabin lights come on and the pilot talks on the intercom that we have lost an engine but the plane for now is flying fine 100 miles to touchdown in Nashville. I and my wife had many thoughts and prayers going through our heads over the next 45 minutes.The man on our isle was a retired Air Force pilot and he explained to us the different scenarios of what was going on. He even told us when the plane lands the tail would fish tail back and forth and it did... Scary moments and all passengers clapped when we landed safely.. Stewardess over the intercom passengers continuing to San Antonio would need another plane... I am not making this up look at the flight aware website 10/10/17 SWA flight 362 path. ^^ to the Southwest Pilots for a JOB WELL DONE!!!!!
... Praise God for taking care of us!!!
ToddSpam, thriftyguy and Seat13c like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
... Praise God for taking care of us!!!
Sorry, your well trained pilots and manufactures of the equipment that is still designed to fly on one engine took care of you. They deserve the praise.

It wasn't a miracle you and everyone else survived...it was a planned for occurrence that was executed as designed.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by joshua362
Wow, that had to be a morning eye opener. Amazing how it seems like such as non event, just a long very straight in final for the runway. I guess employing the one reverse thrust causes the fishtailing, the runways there too short to forgo them?
I could be wrong, but I thought one always had to be able to land w/o reverse thrusters.

I would guess that the issue would be asymmetrical thrust would have put the plane at a slight angle to dead on as it touched.
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I could be wrong, but I thought one always had to be able to land w/o reverse thrusters.

I would guess that the issue would be asymmetrical thrust would have put the plane at a slight angle to dead on as it touched.
Embarrassed that I don't know for sure but I don't know how they would land otherwise at short fields like KEYW.
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

I totally agree without a doubt the aircrafts manufacturer, airline procedures in place, pilot safety/procedure/training, FAA updates from similar issues, and the airport controllers all played a strategic part in the plane landing safely. Although I won't debate about religion this doesn't all happen on Autopilot..

Today I am very happy to be here and able to account for the events that took place. Again hats off to Southwest and I received a $100.00 LUV Voucher today to relieve some of the stress from the event.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Although I won't debate about religion this doesn't all happen on Autopilot..

Nor was my post intended to be about religion but rather the point that there is this notion in society that has emerged that anything other than an absolute perfect experience is somehow a life threatening miracle that we all somehow survived when it is all well within the design and performance capabilities and outcome expectation of both equipment and crew.

Yes, very few will experience something like this and it is it can be nerve racking...but everything performed as designed and planned for.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:15 pm

Remember they are there primarily for your safety
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Southwest
Wow, what a scare! Handled nicely by the cockpit crew! I wonder what caused the engine failure? Looks like the next flight leg was delayed--I wonder if they had to pull the 737 out of service and bring another one in. Amazing!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Here is the link to the story on aeroinside.com

aeroinside.com/item/10359/southwest-b737-near-nashville-on-oct-10th-2017-engine-shut-down-in-flight

Incident Facts
Date of Incident 10.10.2017
Classification Incident
Airline Southwest
Aircraft Type Boeing 737-700
ICAO Type B737
Aircraft Registration N427WN

The lesson learned if there is one is that the airlines are well prepared and there are many incidents that never hit the media... I could have snapped iPhone pictures or video of the event but at the moment that did not seem to be at the top of my list of priorities. We were able to spend the weekend camping with my 5 grandchildren and return home in a safe and timely manner so all is good.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thriftyguy
Wow, what a scare! Handled nicely by the cockpit crew! I wonder what caused the engine failure? Looks like the next flight leg was delayed--I wonder if they had to pull the 737 out of service and bring another one in. Amazing!

No idea what caused the failure but a very good question? Maybe someone that has more experience with these situations could chime in..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.