Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Flight 362 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:58 pm

Aviation Herald

Incident: Southwest B737 near Nashville on Oct 10th 2017, engine shut down in flight

A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-700, registration N427WN performing flight WN-362 from Philadelphia,PA to Nashville,TN (USA), was enroute about to begin the descent into Nashville when an engine (CFM56) emitted a loud bang, streaks of flames and sparks prompting the crew to shut the engine down. Descending towards Nashville the controllers asked whether they were a divert, the crew advised Nashville was their intended destination, they had "just" lost an engine enroute. The aircraft continued for a safe landing on Nashville's runway 20L and taxied to the apron requesting the emergency services to follow them to the gate.

A passenger reported there was a loud bang and streaks of blue/orange flames that turned into orange sparks. The crew subsequently announced they had lost an engine but were fine to reach Nashville.

The occurrence aircraft was unable to continue its schedule, a replacement aircraft continued the next sectors of flight 362. The aircraft remained on the ground for about 26 hours, then returned to service.
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I could be wrong, but I thought one always had to be able to land w/o reverse thrusters.

I would guess that the issue would be asymmetrical thrust would have put the plane at a slight angle to dead on as it touched.
Correct. Landing length is calculated assuming the reverse thrust is inoperative. Reverse thrust doesn't decrease stopping distance very much. Basically it just reduces the amount of braking needed. The asymmetrical thrust is what makes it fishtail on approach. Although, if you come in at just the right angle and speed, you could cut the thrust to nothing (i.e., glide) and voila -- no fishtailing!
joshua362 and pond fisher like this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshua362
Embarrassed that I don't know for sure but I don't know how they would land otherwise at short fields like KEYW.
Landing length is always shorter than takeoff length. It's similar to a car -- how much distance does it take for you to slam on the brakes to stop from 60 MPH to 0, versus how much distance does it take for you to accelerate from 0 to 60?
joshua362 and pond fisher like this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: LTP, PP
"The aircraft remained on the ground for about 26 hours, then returned to service."

Now this is a God assisted miracle that they can replace an engine, inspect and return to service in 26 hours... Try that with ordinary car repairs.
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Landing length is always shorter than takeoff length. It's similar to a car -- how much distance does it take for you to slam on the brakes to stop from 60 MPH to 0, versus how much distance does it take for you to accelerate from 0 to 60?
The plane is always lighter on landing too.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:40 am

Now this is a God assisted miracle that they can replace an engine, inspect and return to service in 26 hours... Try that with ordinary car repairs.
Line replacement units are amazing to watch.

Screaming the worst profanities helps.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I bet. I assume being BNA, everything and everyone had to be flown in making it more of a wonder...
pond fisher likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I bet. I assume being BNA, everything and everyone had to be flown in making it more of a wonder...
Sounds like an orchestrated fire drill to say the least! Grounded planes hurt the return on investment.

Is it safe to assume Southwest has some type of a repair truck/plane they fly in stocked with parts and tools?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pond fisher
Sounds like an orchestrated fire drill to say the least! Grounded planes hurt the return on investment.

Is it safe to assume Southwest has some type of a repair truck/plane they fly in stocked with parts and tools?
Every airline will put parts in the cargo hold of a scheduled flight to deliver them to a broken plane at the destination.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
These types of scenarios are “relatively” routine from the cockpit perspective. They’re trained and drilled relentlessly in the sim, the flows are pretty much memory related items and as long as big pieces don’t go flying off, things should work out pretty easily. Certainly a little different of a day at the office for the drivers, and of course, the pax.

"The aircraft remained on the ground for about 26 hours, then returned to service."

Your car doesn’t operate at 500+ mph, carry 148 people, and cost $86 million new.

No. The mechanics/AOG team usually hitches a ride on the next flight from their base (DAL probably), parts etc are flown up and an engine can be trucked in pretty quickly. If they can’t get a truck, they can fly it up, usually on a dedicated cargo flight from Atlas or Kalitta.

Embarrassed that I don't know for sure but I don't know how they would land otherwise at short fields like KEYW.
You wouldn’t operate to Key West with a deferred T/R. Landing without thrust reversers isn’t uncommon. If the runways are long enough and the weather is good, you can save the wear on the engines. I’ve had it happen in ABQ a number of times. That one runway is so damn long and uphill, you could probably stop without brakes either.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:58 am

As has been mentioned already, the needed parts and personnel are flown on a regularly scheduled flight. Occasionally, they'll be onboard a dedicated ferry flight to the inop aircraft's location, with the ferried aircraft turning out to replace the inop aircraft's schedule of flying.

SWA's major MX facilities have spare engines, and they are trucked to where they're needed, and the main element there for getting an aircraft back in service is the distance they have to travel. Two-driver teams can mitigate that travel time, but PHX-SEA or DAL-BOS can be stretch if PHX/DAL is where the only spare engine available (at that moment) is.

As far as I know (I retired last July), SWA has yet to have an engine change outside of the USA, and should they need one, methinks they'd be chartering a C-130 or some other suitable cargo aircraft to get a replacement engine to where it's needed. Either that, or use a "pool" engine, if the airport is large enough traffic-wise to have one, that could be owned by a different airline but usable by other airlines (for, of course, a cost).
pond fisher likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.