Search

$49 and up winter sale

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:20 pm
73G
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & A-List; Hertz 5*
$49 and up winter sale

WN's big winter sale with fares of $49 and up appears to have started this evening. Travel through mid-Feb, no Fri/Sun, blackouts near holidays, and guessing must book by end of this Thu 10/13.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:04 am

Thanks so much - I just rebooked two flights and now have almost $300 in credit. Part of it expires on March 31, so it looks like we'll have to take an extra trip somewhere if nothing comes up before then.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:32 pm

My $59 ticket just dropped to $49. Shall I take the $10 orphan credit, or keep it at $59 and earn the points?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:50 pm

Take the ten bucks, 60 points aren't worth... Well, much of anything.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:32 pm

No refares for me. But added a MDW-STL @2330 points each way.

Observation #1 :
STL used to be one of the consistently low-priced routings from Midway. Advertised for the lowest sale fare, often $29 or $39, and generally available for no more than $69. Despite having many options available daily, at some point in the past year or so that changed. Now it's consistently $99 - $129, and often much much more. Which makes no sense with the increased emphasis on St Louis as a "hub." This added trip is for pleasure, but when needing to book for business I often found hidden city routings cheaper. Apparently Southwest wants you to connect through St Louis, but not fly there as a destination.

Observation #2 :
Booking online or via the app remains annoyingly problematic. I kept getting nonsensical error messages on the website, so I grabbed my phone. Despite both saying there were $49 fares available for 2304 points, attempting to purchase one consistently generated the "we are unable to secure the price selected" message, and presented the 2330 points price. A difference of 26 points, or about 36 cents. So annoyingly stupid.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by ursine1
No refares for me. But added a MDW-STL @2330 points each way.

Observation #1 :
STL used to be one of the consistently low-priced routings from Midway. Advertised for the lowest sale fare, often $29 or $39, and generally available for no more than $69. Despite having many options available daily, at some point in the past year or so that changed. Now it's consistently $99 - $129, and often much much more. Which makes no sense with the increased emphasis on St Louis as a "hub." This added trip is for pleasure, but when needing to book for business I often found hidden city routings cheaper. Apparently Southwest wants you to connect through St Louis, but not fly there as a destination.
Speaking as a Delta-heavy flier out of MSP, I can tell you that's exactly how it works for most airlines with a hub-and-spoke system. If you want to fly through the hub to another spoke, it's pretty cheap, but flying to the hub itself can be prohibitively expensive. It's fortunate that you can book one-ways easily on WN - that makes hidden city much easier when necessary. RT fare construction (and sometimes length-of-stay rules) make that almost impossible on the legacy airlines, especially Delta.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:35 am
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
I found a flight DCA-MCO for 1325points.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dc2
I found a flight DCA-MCO for 1325points.
Just grabbed a couple of those myself. (except I'm flying out of IAD)

Last edited by birdiedouble; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: united airlines marriott southwest airlines
I booked a flight in Dec for $390 each. The same flight is now $287 each.
How do I make the change? Do I modify this reservation under Change and rebook the same exact flight and it will give me a credit. Or do I cancel this reservation and then rebook?
Thanks for any guidance!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:21 pm

If the original $390 fare was Anytime or Business Select, you should cancel and get a refund in the original payment method, and then rebook. If the original fare was Wanna Get Away, you should just change the reservation and select the exact same flight. The excess amount will be saved in the PNR as travel fund for future use. Keep a record of the PNR (reservation confirmation number), the name of the traveler and the expiration date, so you can use it later. There is no way to find out the existence of the travel fund if you do not have the above info.
acker likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:23 pm

Thank you B747SP.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:31 pm

Just saved $108 each for total $216!!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by B747SP
My $59 ticket just dropped to $49. Shall I take the $10 orphan credit, or keep it at $59 and earn the points?
Take the credit only if you are pretty sure your can use it.

I sometime end up with many small credits and use them as I can.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:50 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Take the credit only if you are pretty sure your can use it.

I sometime end up with many small credits and use them as I can.
Use them for the security fee on points bookings. Or combine them tediously as explained in the new FT Wiki:

A simpler technique is to book a more expensive reservation with 2 TTF’s and a credit card, then immediately cancel the reservation and request a refund of the credit card portion. You will then have a single TTF (LETF).

If you combined two funds with different expiration dates, the new locator will carry the earlier of the two dates. Only do this if the dates are close together, the amount of the newer funds is small, or you are absolutely sure you will "consume" the funds by the earliest Ticketless Travel Funds expiry date.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Speaking as a Delta-heavy flier out of MSP, I can tell you that's exactly how it works for most airlines with a hub-and-spoke system. If you want to fly through the hub to another spoke, it's pretty cheap, but flying to the hub itself can be prohibitively expensive. It's fortunate that you can book one-ways easily on WN - that makes hidden city much easier when necessary. RT fare construction (and sometimes length-of-stay rules) make that almost impossible on the legacy airlines, especially Delta.
But Southwest has never been a traditional "hub-and-spoke" carrier.

Shall we count this as yet another notch in the "more like a legacy every day" column?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.