Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Network Speculation] Points of Opportunity (other than HI, AS, and Int'l)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Network Speculation] Points of Opportunity (other than HI, AS, and Int'l)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Billings MT, Bismark ND or Williston ND would become favorites for anyone working in the oil industry up there. Williston would also poach some Canadian fliers.

A flight or two each day to San Angelo TX would sure be nice to see, again for anyone that has family or business in the area.
Fargo, ND could be added to your list.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Seat13c
Fargo, ND could be added to your list.
Put anything on the list you want but it doesn't mean there's a rational economic case for it. FAR-CHI sees seven AA and UA flights today, six of which are 50-seat CR2 or E145, and a 68-seat CRJ-700. FAR-DEN sees 4 UA 50-seaters. The idea that Southwest will run 143-seat 737-700s to MDW or DEN is risible.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by nsx
That didn't stop Southwest from opening the SFO station. Flight count from OAK to LAX is way, way down since pre-SFO.
I don't think I need to start a list of the ways SFO is different than CCR. OAK-LAX is still generally 14x, so approximately hourly all day long.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
What about ANC? as AS is not a state
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:44 pm

Still am surprised WN hasn't expanded MSP, especially considering that they added 4 gates at T2. Just BWI, Nashville, MDW, St. Louis, Kansas City, Nashville, and Phoenix (I'm not counting Milwaukee since that ends next month).
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Halo117
What about ANC? as AS is not a state
AK = Alaska the state
AS = Alaskan Airlines

Well, this is embarrassing...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
AS = Alaskan Airlines
Getting warmer... Alaska Airlines.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Put anything on the list you want but it doesn't mean there's a rational economic case for it. FAR-CHI sees seven AA and UA flights today, six of which are 50-seat CR2 or E145, and a 68-seat CRJ-700. FAR-DEN sees 4 UA 50-seaters. The idea that Southwest will run 143-seat 737-700s to MDW or DEN is risible.
What is the minimum number of flights that WN expects per airport?

I would think that two RT daily to the MT/ND fields area from DEN would be profitable. I doubt that WN would ever have a flight for less than $119 or so. It would certainly be seasonal capacity, as I expect the the Winter routes to be lighter. But if the competition is a 50 seat RJ? Most frequent fliers despise the smaller RJ.

I realize that certain airports were cut back after the merger with Airtran, and that Jackson MS lost out by not having enough traffic.

Still wish there was a WN alternative to UA/AA/DL to many of these rural areas.

Last edited by Texas Booster; Oct 11, 2017 at 1:35 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What kind of aircraft did WN see other carriers using prior to them starting markes like GEG-BOI, BWI-ORF, ECP-STL, PNS-BNA or MCI-ABQ?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by nsx
If Southwest had smaller aircraft, secondary California cities like Santa Barbara, Monterey or Salinas, or even San Luis Obispo might work. As traffic gets worse year by year, suburban cities like Santa Rosa or Simi Valley might become viable stations. Monterey and Santa Rosa already have service using commuter aircraft. Those customers might switch to Southwest for larger more comfortable aircraft at lower fares.
Yes, if they ordered new CS100 aircraft and I think it's right aircraft for a smaller city. Those 737-700/800 is not right options. It's too big! If they have 100 passengers capacity. They will have enough demands.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:42 am

I'd like BTV.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rove312
I'd like BTV.
I've always wondered why WN did MHT but never BTV
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always wondered why WN did MHT but never BTV
Actually, AirTran who flown BWI-BTV for a very short time and they abandon it.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, if they ordered new CS100 aircraft and I think it's right aircraft for a smaller city. Those 737-700/800 is not right options. It's too big! If they have 100 passengers capacity. They will have enough demands.
A lot of the reason why WN's historically kept their costs low is that they only fly one type of aircraft. I'm not sure if adding an additional type would be a good thing for them.

On the other hand, maybe they could enter some kind of codesharing agreement for the smaller cities that can't handle 737s?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
A lot of the reason why WN's historically kept their costs low is that they only fly one type of aircraft. I'm not sure if adding an additional type would be a good thing for them.

On the other hand, maybe they could enter some kind of codesharing agreement for the smaller cities that can't handle 737s?
Right, they cannot handle the 737 aircraft. It's too big for that. However, I think they will have a small aircraft. It will be on E190-E2 or CS100 aircraft. Whether if they decide to choose the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.