Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Network Speculation] Points of Opportunity (other than HI, AS, and Int'l)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Network Speculation] Points of Opportunity (other than HI, AS, and Int'l)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right, they cannot handle the 737 aircraft. It's too big for that. However, I think they will have a small aircraft. It will be on E190-E2 or CS100 aircraft. Whether if they decide to choose the aircraft.
I was referring more about how a second aircraft type might eliminate at least some of the cost advantage that WN has. I don't really see them getting one for that reason, but who knows?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Halo117
What about ANC? as AS is not a state
Although I'd love to see ANC service, it would be an outlier. With such a small local population, and great distances between other flights, is a little odd for the WN model.

Still, with the 737 Max planes things might change: far more cities could be served without a connection. I could see flights work to SEA+DEN+OAK+PDX+LAX which might be enough traffic to justify the city..
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Seat13c
What kind of aircraft did WN see other carriers using prior to them starting markes like GEG-BOI, BWI-ORF, ECP-STL, PNS-BNA or MCI-ABQ?
Perhaps a good question is what airports that are not served by Southwest have 737 (or equivalent) service from other airlines? Southwest flying the planes it already has to airports with demand for them seems much more likely than WN getting smaller planes.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:12 am

Southwest had the opportunity to have smaller planes and serve smaller airports with the acquisition of Airtran. They promptly got rid of the planes and stopped serving those smaller airports. They have been moving in the opposite direction for some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.