Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does anyone do a status challenge for Southwest?

Old Oct 4, 17, 10:18 am
Original Poster

I'm flying into a lot of cities nowadays that aren't serviced by Southwest and it would be super convenient for me to switch airlines.

DO any of Delta, United or American offer a status match based on my travel with Southwest?

I typically fly 100 roundtrip flights a year all domestic US
Old Oct 4, 17, 3:59 pm

I was able to match A-List preferred + Companion Pass to Alaska MVP Gold 75K earlier this year. Then a few months ago I got United to match my Alaska status to a Platinum Premiere challenge where I get 90 days to fly 18,000 PQM. If I meet that challenge then I get to keep Platinum status for all of 2018.
Old Oct 4, 17, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5-star, National Executive Elite
I was accepted for one with Delta...i'm A-List Preferred and got temporary allowance for Gold Medallion status. I have three months to travel 15 segments or a certain number of miles with them to keep it.
Old Oct 4, 17, 7:12 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Yup...just start Googling. WN is on of the few that does not status match but most of the other big players do in one form or another with various restrictions. Most are are 90 day match with a minimum points/spend challenge in that 90 days to maintain status for a full year or term.

I got a status match from WN A+/CP to Virgin America Gold a while back and used the heck outta that for non stop routes that WN didn't fly. I love Southwest but having first class upgrade being available for change were pretty sweet!...sad to see them go.
Old Oct 5, 17, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by PAX62 View Post
Yup...just start Googling. WN is on of the few that does not status match but most of the other big players do in one form or another with various restrictions. Most are are 90 day match with a minimum points/spend challenge in that 90 days to maintain status for a full year or term.

I got a status match from WN A+/CP to Virgin America Gold a while back and used the heck outta that for non stop routes that WN didn't fly. I love Southwest but having first class upgrade being available for change were pretty sweet!...sad to see them go.
Take your advice and start Googling...

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-status-match/
Old Oct 5, 17, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Gold, WN A-List, Hertz 5-star, National Executive Elite
The Points Guy typically has in-depth analsysis and reviews of challenges for every year

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/airli...es-challenges/

Last edited by obunewbie17; Oct 5, 17 at 3:07 pm Reason: adding website link
Old Oct 6, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PAX62 View Post
WN is on of the few that does not status match
They do offer a challenge, like AA.
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:41 am

Just approved for Delta Gold match challenge with my AL+ status. Took 2 weeks for Delta to approve it yesterday, my Gold status kicked in this morning for 3 months, and then I'll easily meet the challenge to get Gold thru JAN 2021. And 4 of my 6 Delta flights this week were updated this morning!:

MON ATL-ORF: #1 on Comfort upgrade list
TUE ORF-ATL: upgraded to Comfort
WED ATL-DFW: upgraded to First
WED DFW-ATL: nothing yet
WED ATL-SFO: upgraded to First
FRI SFO-ATL: nothing yet, too soon for Gold (72 hours)?
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:01 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Just approved for Delta Gold match challenge with my AL+ status. Took 2 weeks for Delta to approve it yesterday, my Gold status kicked in this morning for 3 months, and then I'll easily meet the challenge to get Gold thru JAN 2021. And 4 of my 6 Delta flights this week were updated this morning!:

MON ATL-ORF: #1 on Comfort upgrade list
TUE ORF-ATL: upgraded to Comfort
WED ATL-DFW: upgraded to First
WED DFW-ATL: nothing yet
WED ATL-SFO: upgraded to First
FRI SFO-ATL: nothing yet, too soon for Gold (72 hours)?
A bit off topic, but getting upgraded as a Gold out of Altanta is rather amazing. But heading to west coast is beyond amazing. Consider yourself very lucky. Go buy a lottery ticket today!
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:07 am

Thanks! Gonna try and keep AL+ and Gold going...got Companion Pass and AL+ locked in by July, now most business travel moving to Delta. Will mix it up next year: Southwest when my wife wants to come along, Delta otherwise, and Southwest Chase personal spend until Companion reached
Old Jul 8, 19, 11:30 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
...Southwest Chase personal spend until Companion reached
If you do not already have the businss card, that 80k will get you to companion in a hurry.
Old Jul 8, 19, 1:06 pm

Thanks

and upgraded to Comfort+ at the gate now
Old Jul 8, 19, 9:21 pm

Programs: SWA A-list/UA Silver-tier match
I status matched to Alaska MVP and most recently I'm on UA Silver match through my company.

Still enjoy WN over both of them, surprisingly. AL on WN is actually useful and benefical. Silver on united nets me nothing, really. And MVP on Alaska wasn't terribly useful either.