Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another auto checkin website

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

One of the original auto checkin services, long before EBCI, checked you at a minute or two after T24. They thought WN would leave them alone. They were wrong
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
If Southwest is able to detect that the check-in is coming from one of these places, the system should assign the person C-55.
That would be a productive use of IT resources.😔 I guess you could type SSS on the BP, TSA might not have a sense of humor
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:49 pm

Setting an alarm for T-24 when booking works just as well. ^
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ebraaheem
Not when you're traveling somewhere without cell service. I've gotten bitten by this a few times. I've also been an idiot and hit snooze on instinct when I'm woken up 24 hours before an early morning flight.

Fortunately I'm A-List and I've never had someone fight me over saving a standard middle seat for my companion.

If this is free, and it works for awhile, I'd argue that it's better than setting an alarm in certain situations.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ebraaheem
Not if you're on a flight at T-24. In-flight wifi may not be fast / reliable enough, and may not even be available if you are still climbing or already descending at T-24 for your next flight (or if you're over water and the plane only has cell tower in-flight WiFi).
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Southwest has in the past used threats of legal action against small operations based on their terms and conditions. T&C violations are generally alleged to be violations of the DCMA. That may not apply to a European company in Europe. The technical barriers are easily overcome. I doubt Lufthansa has access to only a few IP addresses.
​​​
I also wonder whether Lufthansa cares all that much, but we shall see.

It's an interesting legal question.
No not really.

From their website T&Cs

You also agree you will not use the Service for or in connection with offering any third party product or service not authorized or approved by Southwest. For example, online check-in service providers may not use Southwest web pages to check-in customers online or attempt to obtain for them a boarding pass in any certain boarding group.

https://www.southwest.com/html/about...OTER-BOTTOM-TC
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:58 pm

Ok, who's going to be the guinea pig here and risk not being checked-in just so we can all find out if this thing actually works or not?

Not me!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:02 pm

I really would try it on my companion, but we don't have any trips together coming up for about a month. If noone has gotten around to it by then, I'll give it a go.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:30 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You could pick an empty flight, maybe some mid-Wednesday short hop, and buy a refundable fare. Cancel it after you look at the check-in result.

Except this would prove nothing about the chance the website will kill its Southwest functionality without notice the day before your real flight.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by synergistic
Not when you're traveling somewhere without cell service. I've gotten bitten by this a few times. I've also been an idiot and hit snooze on instinct when I'm woken up 24 hours before an early morning flight.

Fortunately I'm A-List and I've never had someone fight me over saving a standard middle seat for my companion.
Unless you are a pretty girl or a male celebrity, no one is going to fight you to sit next to you in a middle.

I have about 40 friends off the top of my head I could ask to check me in if I am ever going to be in the desert at T-24.
synergistic likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by nsx
To some extent, yes.

I suppose Southwest could sell a $2 service for auto check-in one hour AFTER the manual check-in window opens. It would be a safety net in case you forget to check in. Like an insurance policy with a 60-position deductible!
So, for $15, you get auto check-in before everyone else.

For $2, you get auto check-in after everyone else

I bet Southwest could charge $10 or that T-23 Auto check-in and make quite a bit of money off of that alone!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by TomMM
No not really.

From their website T&Cs

https://www.southwest.com/html/about...OTER-BOTTOM-TC
The legality of such restrictions has been questioned and as far as I know never really resolved. Whether they apply outside the US is also not clear.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
The legality of such restrictions has been questioned and as far as I know never really resolved. Whether they apply outside the US is also not clear.
Of course. What is written in law or statute, what is desired by the "aggrieved" party and what is upheld/decided/enforced by a court are often 3 different matters that can only play out by expensive litigation. It may boil down to has the most money over the long run. For $2 a transaction, its not going to last long...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
That's why I suggest that Southwest simply check them in and give the a boarding position of C-55. If there's more than one on the fight, next is C-54, C-53, etc. This way they never overlap with anyone else on the flight who isn't trying to cheat.

The passenger has no legal right to any particular boarding position or range of positions, with the exception of BS, A list, and while not on the boarding pass, in reality, families boarding between A and B. An argument could be made that an EBCI who gets C-55 just for fun is due a refund. Those boarding position ranges are promised by Southwest as stated on their own website.

But for anyone else, they are not entitled to any particular boarding position(s). Southwest could legally assign boarding positions at random. Of course they're not going to do that, because there's no reason to do so.

But with auto check-in services, Southwest can punish the passenger who is trying to cheat the system by assigning C-55. The passenger has no recourse. As a plus, have the gate agent disallow the $40 upgrade option. You have no choice but to take the last middle seat there is.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
But with auto check-in services, Southwest can punish the passenger who is trying to cheat the system by assigning C-55. The passenger has no recourse.
That's pretty brilliant. However the passenger can always delete the boarding pass and check in manually to improve the number. Think of this as training the passenger on the proper procedure. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.