Yet another auto checkin website

Old Oct 6, 17, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Unless you are a pretty girl or a male celebrity, no one is going to fight you to sit next to you in a middle.

I have about 40 friends off the top of my head I could ask to check me in if I am ever going to be in the desert at T-24.
Well, I like to think I'm not hideous, but you're right - a standard middle is just not something that ever comes to a fight in my experience. Honestly, even the alternative isn't unbearable - I'd let my (significantly larger) other half take my saved aisle seat, and go find myself a different middle. I prefer windows, but don't really care all that much.

We didn't anticipate not having signal when we checked out the observatory in LA last week - or I'd have definitely asked someone to check him in for us. Fortunately it was a lightly booked flight and even checking in about an hour late scored us seats together. Realistically, with one of us getting good boarding position automatically, T-24 isn't much of an issue. Without status we might feel a little differently...
Old Oct 6, 17, 2:06 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
Southwest can punish the passenger who is trying to cheat the system by assigning C-55.
IIRC it's possible on an originating B738 with no BS pax to have positions as bad as D-10.
Old Oct 6, 17, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
That's why I suggest that Southwest simply check them in and give the a boarding position of C-55. If there's more than one on the fight, next is C-54, C-53, etc. This way they never overlap with anyone else on the flight who isn't trying to cheat.
My suggestion would be to display a message stating "Sorry Online Checkin is not available for this reservation. Please see an agent at the airport".
Old Oct 6, 17, 7:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, UA Silver, RR A-List
I'll try it on a 230pm Central companion check in tomorrow.
Old Oct 6, 17, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
I'll try it on a 230pm Central companion check in tomorrow.
Can't wait to hear if it works!
Old Oct 8, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by NextTrip View Post
Can't wait to hear if it works!
It worked, kinda - I was at a football game and purposely didn't check my companion in (a 4 year old, so we're family boarding no matter what), and I got a boarding pass in my email at 2:53pm for a 2:50 flight, but it was for B21 (on a not very full flight; at least, there are 8 tickets still available).

I'm not sure if the automatic system is as neurotic about checking in right in the first second of the check in window as a human is. We'll need more data points to see how boarding position varies (i.e. human check in one person for a flight and auto check in the other person and determine how different the boarding positions are). My next opportunity to do that will be in November, when traveling with the wife and kids, none of whom are A-list.
Old Oct 8, 17, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
I'm not sure if the automatic system is as neurotic about checking in right in the first second of the check in window as a human is. We'll need more data points to see how boarding position varies (i.e. human check in one person for a flight and auto check in the other person and determine how different the boarding positions are). My next opportunity to do that will be in November, when traveling with the wife and kids, none of whom are A-list.
Based on their FAQs, the site seems to use humans agents to perform the checkin.
Old Oct 8, 17, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Based on their FAQs, the site seems to use humans agents to perform the checkin.
I wouldn't read that much into "specially trained travel experts taking care of the online check-in process for your upcoming flights."

With humans checking you in your confidential information is being unnecessarily spread to a third party.

In the case of reservation information, there's an awful lot of things you can do with a last name and a booking reference.
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
I wouldn't read that much into "specially trained travel experts taking care of the online check-in process for your upcoming flights."

With humans checking you in your confidential information is being unnecessarily spread to a third party.

In the case of reservation information, there's an awful lot of things you can do with a last name and a booking reference.
You must disclose a minimum amount of data for the service to be performed whether it's automated or performed by a human and just because a service is automated doesn't mean the data isn't touch by people.

Honestly, most people don't care. They just see a kewl service. At least this service uses servers in the EU which has stronger privacy rights.
Old Oct 8, 17, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

An idea. Sign up and check yourself at T24. If your BP has R reprint the computer won. Otherwise you won.

The service isn't being marketed as a snipe service for WN pax. Check within a few minutes of T24 might be their goal.
Old Oct 8, 17, 7:55 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Honestly, most people don't care. They just see a kewl service. At least this service uses servers in the EU which has stronger privacy rights.
I agree most people don't care. However in the EU privacy rights apply mainly to private actors, not to governments.
Old Oct 8, 17, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
IIRC it's possible on an originating B738 with no BS pax to have positions as bad as D-10.
Assuming this post is sarcasm, but there are no D positions. Just keeps counting up to 61, 62, etc.
Old Oct 9, 17, 8:03 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
The service isn't being marketed as a snipe service for WN pax. Check within a few minutes of T24 might be their goal.
It is being marketed as providing your seat selection preference, which could be affected by even a few minutes later check-in.
Old Oct 12, 17, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
It is being marketed as providing your seat selection preference, which could be affected by even a few minutes later check-in.
Really depends on your definition of "innately:"

Old Oct 12, 17, 3:04 pm

Automated Checin is just an algorithm that is connected to the Reservation System to send a "request" to check in the passenger. I can't see how this would be illegal as you are not scamming the system in anyway. Those who decide to checkin exactly 24 hours in advance have the same chance as if a system is doing it for you.

How can automation be illegal? What if someone has a meeting in an area without cell service? Southwest is not losing profit by a passenger gaining 5-10 boarding segments earlier. What is the difference between using an automated service vs an automated one?

Clearly Delta and the other airlines don't mind. I find it unconstitutional that Southwest would ban such a service because you paid for your seat and you happen to not want to be there at exactly 24 hours to checkin. Now have the courts upheld that this service is unconstitutional.

Any Terms Of Service can say what can and can't be done. But really now if Southwest checked in their A List customers 30 hours before the flight and the rest is the luck of the draw then how is it any different?

Search this Thread