Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Troopers
The lady deserved to be fined/banned but doesn't deserved to be dragged off the plane.
Isn't that like saying criminals and other lawbreakers deserve to go jail but should be allowed show up voluntarily to the facility if and when they please?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAX62
I have zero problem with saying that a service animal or pet in cabin can not be accommodated on a particular flight due to the issue at hand IF the passenger on that flight makes their needs known FIRST upon booking and gives the airline a chance to make proper accommodations to block those out...otherwise tough cookies.
My comment was directly specifically and exclusively to pets (including "ESA pets"), and not to service animals. I have been quite clear that service animals don't, and shouldn't, fall into the same category.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by PTravel
My comment was directly specifically and exclusively to pets (including "ESA pets"), and not to service animals. I have been quite clear that service animals don't, and shouldn't, fall into the same category.
Understood...but part of my point was pets in cabin are paid for and booked like any other passenger and completely allowable. If already booked, they should not be the ones displaced if another passenger has an issue that had yet to be disclosed.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Isn't that like saying criminals and other lawbreakers deserve to go jail but should be allowed show up voluntarily to the facility if and when they please?
No. It's like saying shoplifters should be fined/jailed but they shouldn't have their hands cut off. We live in a civilized society.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Yep, we only know what we know based on what's made available to us. That's why WN should make a statement and they did. Problem is WN did not say "we explained the situation, offered her an alternative flight, offered a seat away from the dogs, and offered an alternative flight to the paxs w dogs. However, those reasonable options were not feasible to any of the parties. We exhausted all possible solutions before we called law enforcement." But WN didn't do those things except explain and then call the cops. If WN did do those things, I'm sure they would have stated so.

I'm not defending the lady. Lady was at fault for her behavior and WN handled the situation piss-poor. It's poor customer service, and that's why they apologized to her. It could have and should have been handled better.
It would not surprise me at all if the lady were told that she wouldn't be flying due to her pet allergy and also wouldn't be getting a refund so she should just go home. If WN offered to accommodate her, they would've said so. It's surprisingly common that people are removed from aircraft for non-legitimate reasons (not saying this one wasn't legitimate, but there are lots of non-legitimate removals of passengers from aircraft) and not offered re-accommodation or even a refund, which might be a reason why people behave irrationally when they are asked to leave the aircraft.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
It would not surprise me at all if the lady were told that she wouldn't be flying due to her pet allergy and also wouldn't be getting a refund so she should just go home. If WN offered to accommodate her, they would've said so. It's surprisingly common that people are removed from aircraft for non-legitimate reasons (not saying this one wasn't legitimate, but there are lots of non-legitimate removals of passengers from aircraft) and not offered re-accommodation or even a refund, which might be a reason why people behave irrationally when they are asked to leave the aircraft.
I'll ask again...given the facts as we "know" them, how did she get on the plane in the first place?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Understood...but part of my point was pets in cabin are paid for and booked like any other passenger and completely allowable. If already booked, they should not be the ones displaced if another passenger has an issue that had yet to be disclosed.
I understand your point. I just don't agree with it. I know what you've described is airline policy, but I don't think it should be.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'll ask again...given the facts as we "know" them, how did she get on the plane in the first place?
Maybe she arrived at the gate late, after dogs boarded.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Maybe she arrived at the gate late, after dogs boarded.
That makes no sense. If she says at the gate, "I can't fly if there are any dogs on board because I have a LTA"...(and there were)...why was she ever allowed on the plane at all?

It's the classic case of make a scene, have it go viral, get handsomely compensated. Disgusting.
joshua362 and NextTrip like this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:11 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Assistant Professor of Women’s Studies
Enough said
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I have zero problem with saying that a service animal or pet in cabin can not be accommodated on a particular flight due to the issue at hand IF the passenger on that flight makes their needs known FIRST upon booking and gives the airline a chance to make proper accommodations to block those out...otherwise tough cookies. It is selfish and irresponsible of that individual to assume their needs will be or could be accommodated otherwise for a published and allowable transportation policy of animals in cabin.

There is a previous poster that indicated there is no where online to note that...well if a phone call is too much of a problem to make you must not have that serious of a problem that need accommodation IMO.
I believe I am the previous poster you refer to, and I have previously been informed by the airline (when I have called) that I can call and they can make a note on the reservation but that does not mean anyone looks at it. Please do not make assumptions about my allergy and my attempts to notify the airline. The only thing I am able to do is to be proactive with the GA if I see an animal. However, I try to use the restroom at the airport and not those on the plane so I guess you are saying my fault if I miss seeing the animal if the owner has been walking the animal and I miss seeing it in the boarding area.

This WN incident again highlights the need for a better process. The airlines know in advance when animals will be in the cabin but not people with allergies.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Because it is an reasonable option to resolve the situation. Calling the cops to physically force a person off a plane WITHOUT attempting to resolve the situation is piss-poor customer service.

Because they would have been inconvenienced by accepting another flight.
I understand VDBing them, what I don't understand is why WN should be out the $ to compensate them in this case. It shouldn't be their responsibility to pay out because of another passenger's poor planning.

Nope. I'm not suggesting lady receives higher priority than the paxs with dogs. The issue is how WN handled/resolved the problem that the lady created. Again, there are other reasonable options before the cops were needed...why didn't WN offer alternatives to the lady or the paxs w dogs? Do you see where WN failed?
We don't know the specifics of what was offered prior to the video, but I find it very hard to believe that they went straight to calling the cops without offering some alternatives to the lady in question after explaining the issue of her claiming a life-threatening allergy. I don't see inconveniencing the pet owners as a viable option.

The lady deserved to be fined/banned but doesn't deserved to be dragged off the plane.
The excessive force problem is a real one, but at some point the passenger needs to see where this is going and just get off the plane. Saying you have a potentially life-threatening issue on a plane is just asking for trouble because no airline wants that risk. It's just something you shouldn't say unless you have documentation to clear you. Just like you probably shouldn't mention a certain four letter word beginning with B.

Seems the only other solution anyone else has mentioned is to de-plane everyone and then re-board or re-book? So you just move the "scene" to the gate and inconvenience 100s of people. Tough situation for the airlines.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I believe I am the previous poster you refer to, and I have previously been informed by the airline (when I have called) that I can call and they can make a note on the reservation but that does not mean anyone looks at it. Please do not make assumptions about my allergy and my attempts to notify the airline. The only thing I am able to do is to be proactive with the GA if I see an animal. However, I try to use the restroom at the airport and not those on the plane so I guess you are saying my fault if I miss seeing the animal if the owner has been walking the animal and I miss seeing it in the boarding area.

This WN incident again highlights the need for a better process. The airlines know in advance when animals will be in the cabin but not people with allergies.
This is the key.. you're proactive. But, why wouldn't you always check with the GA regardless of if you see an animal or not? Like you said, they'll know if an animal is on the flight.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The airlines know in advance when animals will be in the cabin but not people with allergies.
Except no advance notice is required.

Southwest Airlines official policy states that Southwest is required "by law" to transport assistance and service animals. They do not require a passenger traveling with a service animal to inform them ahead of time. However, they will try to seat the allergy sufferer away from the animal if given enough notice.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
How do they enforce payment of the pet fee anyway? Do you get some special notation on your BP? If you bypass the ticket counter and go straight to security how will the GA know if you stopped to pay the pet fee or not?
A tag on the pet carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.