Wiki Posts
Search

WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Then why is everyone so upset with United when they had it done ? All of a sudden it's okay for Southwest to do it ?
In the United case the passenger wasn't causing any trouble yet was ordered to leave. In this case the passenger was requesting ejection of other passengers who weren't causing trouble. She was the aggressor. Then she escalated with the claim that her life was in danger, forcing a "me or them" decision to be made. That was a tactical error at the very least.

The United guy just calmly refused to leave. Also a bad decision, but not at all the same degree of culpability.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:45 pm

I would fly with a plane full of dogs over a plane full of people any day of the week.
nsx, joshua362, nightkhan and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------------
Then why is everyone so upset with United when they had it done ? All of a sudden it's okay for Southwest to do it ?
United violated the contract of carriage. They have no right to "bump" an already boarded and seated passenger. Southwest was enforcing reasonable rules designed for the safety of the passengers.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travlngeng
A straw man for this particular incident, I agree, which is why I acknowledged it in my post. But a service dog and emotional support animal are both protected by federal law if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, but different rules apply to each. At least with respect to ESAs, the rule is NOT that they have to be accommodated under all circumstances.

SWA's policy likely was created in response to severe pet allergies and indisputable service animals like seeing-eye dogs. SWA will not have different policies for different federally protected classes of animals.
The FAA regs provide for different policies.

They have to accommodate both by law, regardless of one's personal feelings in regards to ESAs, hence the policy they implemented here.
What policy? What policy dictates throwing a passenger off the plane because they claim, at one point, they have a "life-threatening allergy"? Did you read the rest of my post? The issue isn't the policy but how the woman was handled by WN. I don't know whether she was an obnoxious harridan, or was up against an officious ESA-loving FA. And neither does anyone else in this thread.

Again, no argument from me in how they removed the woman. Airlines, and businesses everywhere could do better in treating people like people, even if sometimes we don't "deserve" it. That's what customer service is about.
Agreed. And the airlines are some of the worst at customer service. I find WN to be marginally better than others, but only marginally. I do find it interesting that almost everyone here takes WN's side, notwithstanding the fact that no one knows happened.

FWIW, I love dogs and have no problem with pets on board if the rules are followed, i.e. they're kept in the travel kennels. Pax with ESAs, on the other hand, should travel in the hold with their animals.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by PTravel; Sep 27, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Was Dao asked to leave?

Yes

Did he leave?

No.

Did he 100% deserve to be treated like he was?

?
I'll post the controversial opinion (but my real opinion) that yeah, he did. If you resist, you are going to lose.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
United violated the contract of carriage. They have no right to "bump" an already boarded and seated passenger. Southwest was enforcing reasonable rules designed for the safety of the passengers.
Agree...however, the video went viral well before the facts were known.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
It absolutely should.

People behave because there are consequences to not behaving. If we establish that the consequence for not getting off the plane is anything other than the cops show up and drag you off the plane, then more people will refuse to get off the plane.

If the airline asks you to get off the plane, get off the plane. If you don't, expect the cops to show up and remove you.
I don't disagree that she should be punished. She should be fined, banned forever, or whatever...I have no problem with that.

But people shouldn't be treated like an animal because they don't behave. They get banned, fined or whatever for misbehaving. My point is how SWA handled the situation. As suggested by others and demonstrated by other airlines, there are alternatives then dragging someone off the plane while the plane is fully loaded.

Last edited by Troopers; Sep 27, 2017 at 11:49 pm
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Agree with majority, this service animal nonsense needs to stop. Just require all non-humans to fly in cargo hold period. Even if you are blind you don't need dog on plane - it can be brought up with the strollers when you deplane.

That being said I call BS on the woman. If you are truly allergic then you should be happy to deplane and take the next flight unless airline previously agreed to your requirements. Quite different than Dr. Dao being ejected because the airline sold his seat twice.

Instead of ejecting her WN should have given her a choice - fly today, or take another flight. If she chooses to fly today put herself at risk, have her sign a waiver and take off.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
If she chooses to fly today put herself at risk, have her sign a waiver and take off.
I know zero law, but that's enough to know such a waiver would be invalid even if signed. Enforcement of that waiver would be unconscionable.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
I know zero law, but that's enough to know such a waiver would be invalid even if signed. Enforcement of that waiver would be unconscionable.
You're right - you know zero law.

One thing she did not waive was her right to be treated humanely as a paid customer by both the airline and LEOs. Are these the same Baltimore cops that took Freddie Gray for a joyride?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by davie355
^

This thread is exposing hypocrisy left and right.

American culture is all about standing up for yourself. This woman had a clear need to travel. She stood up for herself. Forget about the broader context. We should applaud her resolve and self-confidence.

Another tenet of American culture is that violence is unacceptable except for defense. This woman posed no physical threat to anyone, including the officers, on the plane. Yet the video clearly shows at least one officer using grip and forearm strength to maneuver the woman down the aisle.

If Southwest is defending amateurish verbal yelling (e.g., the angry officer's chants) and use of physical force to remove a nonviolent woman who had a legitimate and pressing need to travel, shame on Southwest.

What would I have done? Kick off the animals. Planes are for people.
But if you kick off the animals, you also have to kick off the people traveling with them. So much for "planes are for people".
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This crazy woman is a liberal arts professor -- a Visiting Assistant Professor of Women’s Studies and Islamic Studies at Harvard Divinity School. Being a muslim, she hates dogs and tried to get them ejected by claiming a life-threatening allergy. When she discovered that her plan wouldn't work, she decided to stay. Too late now, lady, you got yourself thrown off the plane!

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/anila-...ofessor-video/
joshua362 and nightkhan like this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:18 am

Our policy states that a Customer (without a medical certificate) may be denied boarding if they report a life-threatening allergic reaction and cannot travel safely with an animal onboard.
What is the medical certificate supposed to say?

What would they have done differently if she had a medical certificate?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This crazy woman is a liberal arts professor -- a Visiting Assistant Professor of Women’s Studies and Islamic Studies at Harvard Divinity School. Being a muslim, she hates dogs and tried to get them ejected by claiming a life-threatening allergy. When she discovered that her plan wouldn't work, she decided to stay. Too late now, lady, you got yourself thrown off the plane!

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/anila-...ofessor-video/
So she lied. Good on the lawsuit against her.

Still wondering EXACTLY what an airline is supposed to do when it decides someone needs to get off and the person adamantly refuses and wedges in. Regardless of whether the airline is in the wrong.

Somebody please outline the steps.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agree with majority, this service animal nonsense needs to stop. Just require all non-humans to fly in cargo hold period. Even if you are blind you don't need dog on plane - it can be brought up with the strollers when you deplane.

That being said I call BS on the woman. If you are truly allergic then you should be happy to deplane and take the next flight unless airline previously agreed to your requirements.
I was once on an overseas flight, and everyone, already seated, was asked not to consume peanuts because of an individual with an allergy. It’s tricky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.