WN Asks Pax to Stop Recording BWI Ejection

Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
how did all these people ever manage to get on a plane without their pets (I mean ESA ) 20, 30 40, years ago?

Personally I hope SWA bans her for life. Not gonna happen but I can dream
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
how did all these people ever manage to get on a plane without their pets (I mean ESA ) 20, 30 40, years ago?
How did we live life without computers and electronic devices 20, 30, 40 years ago?

How did we figure out how to fly and get around airports and all that good stuff 20, 30, 40 years ago.

20 years ago the internet was in its infancy. 25 years ago, and it was mainly AOL. 30 and more years ago, just about nothing.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
For all of you saying that the plane should have been emptied, how do you know that the woman with alleged allergies would have gotten off the plane even then? For all we know she would still needed to be forcefully removed from the plane, which would make an even further delay for everyone else.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Putnik
For all of you saying that the plane should have been emptied, how do you know that the woman with alleged allergies would have gotten off the plane even then? For all we know she would still needed to be forcefully removed from the plane, which would make an even further delay for everyone else.

True but usually people de-escalate when they realize that they no longer have an audience. And if force has to be used, there will be no viral videos about it.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
We should punish everyone because of one jerk?
Removing unnecessary animals from the passenger cabin is a "punishment" to very, very few and a benefit to many.

Animals don't personally bother me, but I believe the greater good is for them to be elsewhere than the cabin. Cargo hold or traveling by other means.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Cargo hold would be fine if it's the same temperature as the cabin. Because it isn't (which is why airlines won't fly pets in the cargo hold in the summer), they have to be in the cabin.

Don't like it, charter your own plane. A common carrier does not belong to any one passenger. It is shared space, and some people are not capable of sharing. They can go on their own.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cargo hold would be fine if it's the same temperature as the cabin. Because it isn't (which is why airlines won't fly pets in the cargo hold in the summer), they have to be in the cabin.

Don't like it, charter your own plane. A common carrier does not belong to any one passenger. It is shared space, and some people are not capable of sharing. They can go on their own.
The discussion is not whether the airlines allow pets in the cabin -- they do.

It's whether they should.

It's circular logic to say, "Airlines should allow pets in the cabin because they allow pets in the cabin." I love animals, and dogs in particular (cats not so much), but I'm of the opinion that airlines should not allow pets in the cabin, just as I'm of the opinion that a COS should be required to buy an extra seat or deplane. With respect to the latter, most airlines now have that as a rule, but it was only after significant customer feedback and complaints that airline policy changed.

I can explain why I don't think pets belong in the cabin, but, believe it won't include either the phrase, "because they just don't," or "if you want to fly with your pet, get a private jet."
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
If she was asking Southwest for an epi-pen, and was not carrying her own with her in case of contact with an animal, I suspect that her allergies were not as severe as stated.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by AMflier
If she was asking Southwest for an epi-pen, and was not carrying her own with her in case of contact with an animal, I suspect that her allergies were not as severe as stated.
Totally agree. As someone with severe allergies, I carry an epi-pen and Benadryl everywhere, just in case. I once had to change seats on a SWA flight due to a dog or cat (or their contaminated owner) having sat in the seat where I was seated. No commotion, no police, no offloading.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AMflier
Her lawyers claim Southwest lied:

She discussed her allergies with Southwest representatives upon entering the aircraft, and they came to the mutual conclusion that she should sit in a seat comfortably distant from the animals."

She was never asked for any medical certification which she doesnt carry anyway because her allergies are not life-threatening, contrary to what Southwest claimed she told them and was eventually asked to leave the plane.

WJZ
They claim she never asked for the dogs to be removed from the plane. And never claimed that her allergies were life-threatening.

The imperative for both sides now: finding witnesses.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

They claim she never asked for the dogs to be removed from the plane. And never claimed that her allergies were life-threatening.

This makes even less sense that the earlier story.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

My proposal would be that in the summer, pets simply can't travel by air. Sorry, your pet can't go on vacation with you. *shrug*

I believe the airline cabin should be a shared space for humans. It simply isn't necessary to bring animals with you on airline flights.

(Obvious exception for legitimate service animals.)

Not that you have anything to worry about...they're currently permitted and it's not like Southwest listens to my ideas.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
This makes even less sense that the earlier story.
Agreed. It really makes less sense.

The airline has a very specific version of events, that she claimed to have a life threatening allergy and demanded an EpiPen.

Her version of events is that it's totally false (didn't ask for the EpiPen/didn't classify the allergies as life threatening) and that after being reseated per request, that they decided to kick her off the plane for no real reason.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Her version of events is that it's totally false (didn't ask for the EpiPen/didn't classify the allergies as life threatening) and that after being reseated per request, that they decided to kick her off the plane for no real reason.
Nothing indicates she was ever re-seated. Notice the big gap in the lawyers' account between WN's making the offer and the demand that she deplane.

My hunch is that she raised enough of a ruckus the captain was called. He deemed her 'disruptive' and ordered MD cops to arbitrate. Finding a seat to suit her wasn't happening. The "life-threatening" claim was a hasty expedient.

The airline did apologize to her rather sheepishly:

"We are disheartened by the way this situation unfolded and the Customers removal by local law enforcement officers. We publicly offer our apologies to this Customer for her experience and we will be contacting her directly to address her concerns."
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

I know who I believe. It isn't the professor. Has she been fired yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.