Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Previous leg passengers taking exit seats before Business Select can board

Previous leg passengers taking exit seats before Business Select can board

Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by alchemista
That's what I just said, but I understand now. That is true with other mileage programs too. Since WN has no change fees for anyone, the ability to do SDS is somewhat diminished compared to other programs where only elites have no change fees.
WN SDS, Non-elite: Whatever the difference in fare is.
WN SDS, Elite: No charge.
That could be a low difference or it could be a high one, but there's tremendous value in knowing you can get out earlier if needed, without charge, especially for the business traveler.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
WN SDS, Non-elite: Whatever the difference in fare is.
WN SDS, Elite: No charge.
That could be a low difference or it could be a high one, but there's tremendous value in knowing you can get out earlier if needed, without charge, especially for the business traveler.
Yep, and the same SDS benefit with other airline's elite program levels.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
But if you switch to UA just to get exit row assigned seating, you have to put up with their multiple failures and specifically their horrid customer service. I hope that's worth it to you.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
1. Book an originator

2. Book a flight where the inbound is a different flight number. Then nobody will be staying on.

Thru flights are the same flight number from AAA-BBB-CCC
Dont know if OP was just venting or was actually looking for tips that he can actually use.

If latter then this tip about same flight number for AAA-BBB-CCC is useful information (provided he didnt know that already)
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Like friendly FA, two checked bags for free, clear fare rules and a mostly on time airline? Then WN is perfect for you.
+1

(although personal limited experience over past 10+ years have been 0% of the time on-time and late evening flight getting cancelled bit too often even when competitors are flying fine)
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msglsmo
I second your comments about SWA. If I could book a seat, I'd fly them fairly regularly. But with tight connections and the chance of middle seats, no thank you. I'll stick with Delta.
I care less whether I get a specific seat than whether I get a plane when it is needed. Air travel has value for moving my sorry butt very far and very fast. The seat I use to get there is less important. Just me though. . .
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm ex-MCI so I'm often on a WN flight with a bunch of thrus. I usually just to T-24 checkin, although in some years I'm a low-end A-lister.

Even with all of that said, I don't think I've ever had a truly bad seat on any of my flights. I like aisle, and I always have aisle.

I fly maybe 2x or 3x per year as a BS, and then I always have my pick of very good seats, even if there are 30 thrus onboard. (I often still go to Row 17-ish in hopes of my empty middle.)

There's really nothing to see here. Just another thread where someone is making a fool out of themselves by incorrectly thinking their expensive ticket comes with a specific seat. If another airline works better for you, fly it.

If you can reach top-tier on an alliance carrier, I probably wouldn't even try to present a pro-WN argument to you: go get that top tier and enjoy the perks that come with it. Just don't expect much sympathy when you expect special treatment elsewhere.
steved5480 and HomerJay like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.