Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Previous leg passengers taking exit seats before Business Select can board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Previous leg passengers taking exit seats before Business Select can board

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Silly me, I'm satisfied with the automatic T-36 seat assignment, the ability to board no later than A-"61", the free WiFi, the free and priority standby, the priority checkin line, the dedicated phone number should I need it, and the 100% points multiplier- ... but what do I know, I sit in the back anyway (so not sure if these eternal "seat" threads in the WN forum make me laugh or cry).
Thinking through the benefits you listed:

Who cares about the T-36 seat assignment? Even as A+, I always get A20s and sometimes low 30s. That wouldn't change if it was T-24 or whatever. It's not based on earliest-checkin once you are in the A-list programs, it's some unknown ranking supposedly factoring price paid, date booked, eliteness...

Free Wifi - its marginally usable, and only $8 a flight. Business travelers can usually expense this too, so little personal value for a biz traveler.
The free live TV is very nice, but that's available to all passengers.

Free and priority standby - maybe valuable for some traveler's routes but otherwise pretty rare for someone who knows their schedule. It's free to all passengers to change your flight anytime, so no unique benefit to elites here.

Priority checkin line? People still use those? Low value.

Dedicated phone number? People still use those? Low value.

100% points multiplier - other airlines' programs also give high multipliers.
It's already been discussed pros/cons of WN points. Personally, being able to redeem points on flights worldwide and with alliance partners is a significant benefit that is lacking with WN.

Anyway - glad you're happy with WN. Please stay off UA
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
Thinking through the benefits you listed:

Who cares about the T-36 seat assignment? Even as A+, I always get A20s and sometimes low 30s. That wouldn't change if it was T-24 or whatever. It's not based on earliest-checkin once you are in the A-list programs, it's some unknown ranking supposedly factoring price paid, date booked, eliteness...

Free Wifi - its marginally usable, and only $8 a flight. Business travelers can usually expense this too, so little personal value for a biz traveler.
The free live TV is very nice, but that's available to all passengers.

Free and priority standby - maybe valuable for some traveler's routes but otherwise pretty rare for someone who knows their schedule. It's free to all passengers to change your flight anytime, so no unique benefit to elites here.

100% points multiplier - other airlines' programs also give high multipliers.
It's already been discussed pros/cons of WN points. Personally, being able to redeem points on flights worldwide and with alliance partners is a significant benefit that is lacking with WN.

Anyway - glad you're happy with WN. Please stay off UA
Southwest doesn't offer or state that they offer exit row seats as an upgrade or premium experience for elites. Plain and simple. So why are you expecting it when it was never stated you would get an exit row seat? That's why I said it came across as you thinking your above other people for. What Southwest offers you is a "better" chance to get your preferred seat based on having Business Select. You also ignored my other comment.. what about other people on the previous leg(s) that did purchase Business Select.. You also ignore that logistics of it.. Since your not on the first leg of the flight, in order for southwest to even begin to offer what you want, they have to have in place a way to determine who purchased business class from the previous legs of a flight. Based on that, they would have to adjust the amount of business select they sell on of the remaining flight segments. It would be nearly impossible to do. (based on Soutwest IT record).

Sorry Southwest doesn't suit your needs but it works for most other people. Southwest is known for OPEN SEATING.. What you want is NOT OPEN SEATING. I wish you the best with any other airline you fly. But... each airline has its own issues... the grass always looks greener on the other side type deal.. You may look back an decide Southwest wasn't as bad as you make them out to be because you couldn't get an exit row or bulkhead seat....

Last edited by jep8821; Sep 29, 2017 at 5:21 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
In my experience, the big problem with WN boarding situation is that no matter what kind of ticket you're on or what kind of status you hold, you're doomed to a middle seat on heavily booked flights if your first flight arrives late with an even sort of tight connection. To me this is a much bigger problem, with no realistic fix.

Not being able to get bulkhead or exit row isn't a dealbreaker for me - any window will do me just fine. If those are the only acceptable seats for you, I completely understand not flying WN. Even having BS on an originating flight isn't a guarantee of getting them if preboarders take the bulkheads and you are late to the checkin game.

Only somewhat relatedly... Everyone hates on Spirit, but those big front seats are pretty glorious for the price you end up paying.
I second your comments about SWA. If I could book a seat, I'd fly them fairly regularly. But with tight connections and the chance of middle seats, no thank you. I'll stick with Delta.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Please stay off UA
Oh, that decision was easy to make the first time UA wanted a $150 change fee on a $127 ticket, essentially throwing my money away. "No Change Fees" isn't an A-List-only benefit so I didn't mention it above, but it's also part of why I fly WN.

(... the sentiment goes both ways- for all the complaints about WN, in some 6 years of FF travel I doubt I've been on a flight that's gone out less than 70% full, and 90% of the time they're completely full, so PLEASE leave room for those of us who actually value WN!)
bobunf likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:07 am

I'm probably just baiting a new troll with low posts...
A pretty hilarious statement from someone with under 300 posts themselves at this point.
bobunf likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Who cares about the T-36 seat assignment?
I don't have to check-in at ALL 'till I'm headed to the airport.
Free and priority standby ... It's free to all passengers to change your flight anytime, so no unique benefit to elites here.
I don't think you understand how A-List free standby works. I don't have to pay to change my WGA tickets to AT as non-elites do, and this alone has saved me a bundle.

I check bags quite often, and that phone line is very useful during IRROPs.
bobunf likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:16 am

It's not fair. I agree.

“There is always inequity in life. Some men are killed in a war and some men are wounded, and some men never leave the country, and some men are stationed in the Antarctic and some are stationed in San Francisco. It’s very hard in military or in personal life to assure complete equality. Life is unfair.”

- John F. Kennedy
March 21, 1962
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:29 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Even as A+, I always get A20s and sometimes low 30s. That wouldn't change if it was T-24 or whatever.
You forgot about connecting flights and all those earlier originators whose T-24 time is hours ahead of yours.

Right. Just use Southwest's website, which as we all know is 100% reliable in accomplishing what you need.

Personally, being able to redeem points on flights worldwide and with alliance partners is a significant benefit that is lacking with WN.
Availability is getting to the point where redeeming Chase Reserve points at 1.5 cents to buy a cash fare is a better deal than using airline miles. But if you can somehow find a premium cabin seat at the saver level, I agree that's a win.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I don't think you understand how A-List free standby works. I don't have to pay to change my WGA tickets to AT as non-elites do, and this alone has saved me a bundle.

I check bags quite often, and that phone line is very useful during IRROPs.
Yes, I'm not sure what you mean by saying you don't have to pay to change your WGA tickets to AT. I think what you mean is that you can do SDS to a flight that only has AT fares remaining? If you're doing that as a way to try to upgrade your flight, and rely on it often I guess that's valuable for some people's needs - I think most elite programs allow SDS though, so doesn't seem unique. As a business traveler, I'm able to buy whatever flight suits me - so it doesn't really matter to me if I'm on a WGA fare vs AT except for points, and you won't get extra points by doing SDS right?

Every elite program has a dedicated elite member phone #, don't see what's unique there.

Last edited by alchemista; Sep 29, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jep8821
Southwest doesn't offer or state that they offer exit row seats as an upgrade or premium experience for elites.
I understand that but here's how business select is marketed:

Guaranteed A1-15 boarding
Be one of the first to board with priority boarding. Pick the seat you want and have room for your carryon bags.

Now of course I know that this isn't saying you are guaranteed any particular seat. However, I do think it's misleading or should be disclosed (maybe an asterisk on this claim) that clearly says Business Select is after pre-boarders and any passengers that were on the previous leg.

"one of the first to board" is subjective, but when you are behind 10 through passengers and another 10 pre-boarders, I'd argue you're not one of the first. On a 143-seat 700, being #30 out of #143 to board is arguably not "one of the first to board".

Either way, the info in this thread is interesting and personally I've already made my decision.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:07 pm

Yes, I'm not sure what you mean by saying you don't have to pay to change your WGA tickets to AT. I think what you mean is that you can do SDS to a flight that only has AT fares remaining?
No, it means you can do SDS for a flight that has any seats remaining, regardless of fare bucket. Otherwise, you're paying the fairly significant fare difference if you want to get on an earlier flight
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp
No, it means you can do SDS for a flight that has any seats remaining, regardless of fare bucket. Otherwise, you're paying the fairly significant fare difference if you want to get on an earlier flight
That's what I just said, but I understand now. That is true with other mileage programs too. Since WN has no change fees for anyone, the ability to do SDS is somewhat diminished compared to other programs where only elites have no change fees.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:08 am

That's what I just said, but I understand now. That is true with other mileage programs too. Since WN has no change fees for anyone, the ability to do SDS is somewhat diminished compared to other programs where only elites have no change fees.
I think you may still not fully understand the Southwest system.

I you hold an AT or BS ticket you can almost always change your flight at no cost.

If you are A-List you can now go on Same Day Standby at no cost even in you hold a very cheap ticket.

If you are not A-List and which to change your flight you must upgrade to a BS or AT ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:15 am

Idk what the fuss here is. I was on the bwi-bdl leg of dal-Bwi-bdl...

Not only were there thrus, and bs...I checked in t-24 for my originator and still got B-38...and I STILL got infinite leg room WITH an open middle seat.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
The $150 change fee on UA and equivalences on others is what keeps me on WN. Along with available no hassle award seating, no bag fees, a unique companion pass program and you can sit anywhere you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.