Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Luck with Companion Pass And A-list Standby?

Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I think this might be a very specific scenario, but who has had luck (or lack thereof) moving both yourself (A-list) and your companion (NON A-list) to a different flight on same day without any charge?

I called Southwest multiple times and their response is always "Both the Companion Pass holder and the companion need A-list in order to do same day standby, otherwise the Companion pass holder needs to purchase a full fare flight, as long as seats are available.".

However, several times gate agents have let me change both our flights, in fact without even pausing.

It seems ridiculous that the companion also needs A-list, I mean seriously, how many people have an A-list partner also (given they are flying with you on a non-revenue fare). Thoughts?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:32 am

Just like everything depends on the gate agent. Under the A List same day standby thread there are numerous times they have let A list with CP (No A list) do it. I have tried and been able to do it and have been told I can't do it so I just think it depends on the gate agent. I think its ridiculous that I can't use my perk when flying with CP but the free flight makes me forget about that quickly.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:28 am

I've never had someone not allow this, and I've tried about 5 times. I've had 2 times where they confirm my ticket, rather than standby, so there's certainly some variability. The only screw up was one flight when I checked my bags, and very explicitly told the agent to put them on the flight I was going to try to take earlier, and she sent them on the original flight. Of course that was the one time I didn't check the tags....
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Except during the first two weeks of the implementation of this policy, I have had no problems.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No problem but on a recent flight I didn't get standby priority due to companion's lack of elite status. We got on as almost the last ones cleared.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN A&cp, SPGplat
Another data point: I too have had no problem.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:13 pm

If there are only two seats available for a standby flight with two A-listers AND a companion pass holder on the standby list, the companion pass holder will not fly.

If there are two or more seats available for a flight with one A-lister AND a companion pass holder on the standby list, they will both fly.

The second A-lister has priority over the companion pass holder.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by NextTrip
If there are only two seats available for a standby flight with two A-listers AND a companion pass holder on the standby list, the companion pass holder will not fly.

If there are two or more seats available for a flight with one A-lister AND a companion pass holder on the standby list, they will both fly.

Which makes perfect sense. It is codified somewhere so agents and CP holders understand and can plan in advance?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Which makes perfect sense. It is codified somewhere so agents and CP holders understand and can plan in advance?
Glad to know this as well, and do hope it's consistent. I actually wouldn't care if it worked the other way (CP holders inherit A-Lister status, a la DL with companions and upgrades) but I'm definitely hopeful that whatever process they've decided on is handled by the system for consistency's sake.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:21 am

What if there are only two seats available, and one A-Lister, their companion, and a passenger displaced from an earlier cancelled flight are on the standby list?

What if there are only two seats available, and one A-Lister, their companion, and an Business Select passenger booked on a later flight are on the standby list?

What if there are only two seats available, and one A-Lister, their companion, and two passengers displaced from an earlier cancelled flight are on the standby list?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: LTP, PP
1. Displaced flies only

2. BS flies only

3. Two Displaced flies only

I would think a displaced passenger trumps all. After all, a standby pax still has a confirmed flight, correct?

Since a A Lister and CP holder can't be separated, it's all or nothing and together are always the lowest priority. (Assuming CP holder is non A List)

Really simple when you look at it that way.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

This is exactly correct. I've also never had an issue both before and after the addition of the free same day standby-by A-List perk with the only exception being during IRROPs.

You both will be put on the stand-by list for free. You get priority on the standby list but your non-A-List Companion does not. Will depend on the number of available seats for standbys if you both clear. Simple as that.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
1. Displaced flies only

2. BS flies only

3. Two Displaced flies only

I would think a displaced passenger trumps all. After all, a standby pax still has a confirmed flight, correct?

Since a A Lister and CP holder can't be separated, it's all or nothing and together are always the lowest priority. (Assuming CP holder is non A List)

Really simple when you look at it that way.
Seems simple. But I've seen multiple examples of it not working this way. Displaced passengers aren't given priority over A-Listers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
Displaced passengers aren't given priority over A-Listers.
I've seen them get priority over me at least twice. I think the software does it automatically unless the gate agent enters the information incorrectly.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:24 am

And a displaced friend was denied a standby seat that was given to an A-Lister.

I suspect the gate agent's discretion is the most important variable here.
steved5480 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.