Wiki Posts
Search

New system; still 3+ connections

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
New system; still 3+ connections

Booking some holiday travel tonight, and I can't believe how many 3+ connection flights there still are. I would have thought Southwest would have better optimized schedules by this point. There weren't options like this before the system cutover, so I don't understand why these are still so prevalent. There is no reason whatsoever I need to take four flights to get from DCA to TUS.

Looking at Dec 15 flights and 4/7 options that day have FOUR flights. Ridiculous.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
There are still several 5 & 6 legged connections out there as well....
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:33 pm

It's all about options.
steved5480 likes this.

Last edited by NextTrip; Sep 5, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:05 pm

Who in their right mind would ever choose to take a 4+ connecting flight?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Who in their right mind would ever choose to take a 4+ connecting flight?
Some of us are masochists, I guess... I'm all kinds of disappointed that my segment run from FLL-SLC next week has been cancelled due to Irma. Six (separately ticketed) segments in one day! I go segment heavy on AA too because I get 1000 AS miles per segment. I can't come up with any logical reason to book a flight with that many connections on WN, though, since you only get a single credit regardless.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:18 pm

Segment run, sure. Connecting flight? No.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:26 pm

You'd be shocked how many bags i see on a daily basis that make 2 connections or 1 connection then ride thru 3 cities
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:13 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by palmetto86
I can't believe how many 3+ connection flights there still are.
We appear to have a terminology issue; "stops" are not the same as "connections." I dare you to find a single published flight with even two connections. SWA does not allow itineraries with more than a single connection, unless there is no published service between the origin and destination. Again, "stops" are not the same as "connections."

I would have thought Southwest would have better optimized schedules by this point.
What are you trying to say? IMO, SWA is not and never has been a customer-centric business. "Better optimized schedules" to SWA means "more revenue" or "more gross margin." It has nothing to do with "maximizing reasonable itinerary options for the average sane travel customer."

There weren't options like this before the system cutover, so I don't understand why these are still so prevalent.
Assuming you are referring to the most recent reservation/ticketing system change...AFAIK that has nothing to do with schedule creation. Do some reading about the amazing SWA Garage-O-Mizer for some info about how schedule planning happens. AFAIK, Garage-O-Mizer still
Originally Posted by ftnoob
does not yet have a "schedule reasonableness" constraint.
It's Garage-O-Mizer, not Cust-O-Merizer.

Looking at Dec 15 flights and 4/7 options that day have FOUR flights. Ridiculous.
The DCA-TUS schedule for 12/15 is even worse than your OP suggests (apart from confusing "stops" and "connections"), as two of the other 3/7 options are three-leggers, and the only two-legger leaves at 6:00 AM. That said, however...

There is no reason whatsoever I need to take four flights to get from DCA to TUS.
It's not my field of expertise, but indeed there may be a reason, and that is the flight restrictions that apply to DCA. Hub-and-spoke airlines can offer more options without resorting to three- and four- legged flights, but SWA isn't a true hub-and-spoke airline.

By all means, come back with a better example to complain about, because there are, no doubt, plenty of opportunities to do so.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
ITA Matrix finds 13 one-stop itins on AA, UA or DL DCA-TUS on Dec 15 with a total travel time less than 7:30, departing as early as 5:39AM or as late as 6:25PM. Of course, WN doesn't appear on ITA Matrix.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Stops are not necessarily a bad thing. A short hop-stop-long hop allows the through passenger to move ahead of even preboarders for that "prime" seating without paying the BS upgrade or EBCI.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
This thread reminds me of the discussion a few months ago where someone here claimed that to fly from SJC to Houston it was necessary to go via PHX, ABQ and MDW before finally arriving in HOU. Which of course is totally ridiculous.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Stops are not necessarily a bad thing. A short hop-stop-long hop allows the through passenger to move ahead of even preboarders for that "prime" seating without paying the BS upgrade or EBCI.
Awwww, man, you'll probably take some BS customer's one favorite seat on the whole plane! Then he'll come here and start a thread saying BS (or EBCI) is a ripoff.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Awwww, man, you'll probably take some BS customer's one favorite seat on the whole plane! Then he'll come here and start a thread saying BS (or EBCI) is a ripoff.
And he would be right. There aren't 15 seats with extra legroom on the plane, and bulkheads are often taken by preboarders. And I could purchase EBCI and get C38 and be told there's nothing they can do as they don't limit EBCI sales...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:23 pm

Booking some holiday travel tonight, and I can't believe how many 3+ connection flights there still are. I would have thought Southwest would have better optimized schedules by this point. There weren't options like this before the system cutover, so I don't understand why these are still so prevalent. There is no reason whatsoever I need to take four flights to get from DCA to TUS.

If DCA to TUS was that popular of a route, then they'll provide more direct flights or 1 stop layovers.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
And he would be right. There aren't 15 seats with extra legroom on the plane, and bulkheads are often taken by preboarders. And I could purchase EBCI and get C38 and be told there's nothing they can do as they don't limit EBCI sales...
Of course. Most people know EBCI doesn't guarantee anything, but there are a few that love to complain anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.