Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Location of Mountain Lake on WN Web site

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Location of Mountain Lake on WN Web site

Title says the question. Does anyone know the location of this WN website shot.

Thanks - Jimmy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...1&d=1504502684
Attached Images  
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
IDK but it reminds me of similar post on the Marriott board where Marriott used a similarly stunning picture of a Caribbean harbor where they had absolutely no presence. Maybe Lake Tahoe with a "connection" to Reno?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:03 am

Emerald Lake at Yoho National Park in British Columbia Canada

Taken by Glowing Earth Photography via Getty Images.

Found this info by using Google's reverse image search, which led me to an article on Huffington Post that had a photo credit. From there I went to Getty's site to find the source. Nifty tool, that is.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Could this be their very subtle hint for new service to YYC?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ENOTTY

Found this info by using Google's reverse image search, which led me to an article on Huffington Post that had a photo credit. From there I went to Getty's site to find the source. Nifty tool, that is.
Very Nifty, and thank you for the information.
drooley likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Maybe Lake Tahoe with a "connection" to Reno?
When I first saw this picture, my first guess was Lake Tahoe as well. Tahoe shorelines typically have a lot more granite on them.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 12:59 pm

One really good clue is the color of the water. Glacial runoff would create that turquoise color that is pictured. There aren't many places in North America (or even the world) that have glacially-fed lakes.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ENOTTY

Did the google image search myself and found at least one other company using the same image on their website: American First Credit Union, all three branches in Southern California!

It's a beautiful pic, but very misleading advertising.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Did the google image search myself and found at least one other company using the same image on their website: American First Credit Union, all three branches in Southern California!

It's a beautiful pic, but very misleading advertising.
What exactly is misleading about it?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
What exactly is misleading about it?
Using a picture from a place that Southwest doesn't fly to at all (and nowhere near)! It implies that people can fly there using Southwest, but oh no, they can't, they have to use a different airline.

In case you're not familiar with it, Yoho National Park in BC is actually much more accessible from Calgary, as it adjacn to Alberta's Banff National Park, than it is from Vancouver or anywhere Southwest flies in Washington state. The closest US airport might be Billing MT, but oh no, Southwest doesn't fly there either!

Since they're an airline, shouldn't Southwest use pictures from places you can get to flying Southwest???

What are they going to do next, randomly put up pictures of the Taj Mahal or the Great Wall???

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 4, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Using a picture from a place that Southwest doesn't fly to at all (and nowhere near)! It implies that people can fly there using Southwest, but oh no, they can't, they have to use a different airline.

In case you're not familiar with it, Yoho National Park in BC is actually much more accessible from Calgary, as it adjacn to Alberta's Banff National Park, than it is from Vancouver or anywhere Southwest flies in Washington state. The closest US airport might be Billing MT, but oh no, Southwest doesn't fly there either!

Since they're an airline, shouldn't Southwest use pictures from places you can get to flying Southwest???

What are they going to do next, randomly put up pictures of the Taj Mahal or the Great Wall???

I guess when you see a car commercial with someone driving on a closed road you assume you can drive the same way? Maybe they should add a "We Don't Fly Here" disclaimer. Let's hope Southwest never uses an image of the ☀️.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:19 pm

According to Google Maps, its only about a 7 hour drive from Spokane/GEG, and Southwest flies to GEG

Not exactly next door, but one could get there flying Southwest and then renting a car and going for a mountain drive
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I guess when you see a car commercial with someone driving on a closed road you assume you can drive the same way? Maybe they should add a "We Don't Fly Here" disclaimer. Let's hope Southwest never uses an image of the ☀️.
You do realize there are disclaimers at the bottom, that tell you it's a closed road and a professional driver, for this specific reason, right?

Regardless, your analogy doesn't apply here.

A travel company -- say, an airline -- is selling travel. Travel implies a destination. It's odd (and misleading) to show photos of destinations if those locations aren't actually served by that travel company.

This is pretty obvious, really. I'm surprised anyone wouldn't get this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
You do realize there are disclaimers at the bottom, that tell you it's a closed road and a professional driver, for this specific reason, right?

A travel company -- say, an airline -- is selling travel. Travel implies a destination. It's odd (and misleading) to show photos of destinations if those locations aren't actually served by that travel company.

Agree.

Last edited by NextTrip; Sep 5, 2017 at 12:02 am
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by ursine1

I guess when I see an advertisement I realize that images used are there to catch my attention and surely this picture is effective.

But you are right, they are a travel company, and they are willing to book a room for you at the lodge in the picture. Feel free to move about the country, even Canada.

https://www.southwesthotels.com/hote...dge.en-us.html

I took a trip about ten years ago flying into Jackson Hole and drove up through Yellowstone, Glacier National Park and even crossed over into Canada to visit this lodge after I saw a picture of it.

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/lodgin...f-wales-hotel/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.