Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

FYI: ECBI - may lose when changing flights on new system

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

I do not believe I have seen this reported here, apologies if it already has been. I called into WN to change a flight that was booked for my partner and me. Partner is A-list and CP holder, I was flying as companion and bought Early Bird.

We were changing city pairs on our flight change and the agent said that unfortunately in the new system there was is no way to keep EBCI when city pairs change, if we wanted to do the change to different dates but keep the same cities then I could have kept EBCI, but by making the change I would forfeit my prior purchase and would need to buy again if I wanted EBCI.

I kept my same confirmation number. In the past keeping same confirmation number allowed you to keep EBCI, now that seems it is no longer the case. The agent said that was a benefit of the old system that is no longer possible on the current.

I am not sure what would happen if this was a less complicated booking and changed all online for a single passenger changing city pairs, but I assume ECBI would be lost in that case too.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:34 am

I'd recommend contacting Customer Relations for an official answer. It's possible this is yet another "system limitation," or it's equally possible that the rep who made your itinerary change didn't know how to do it without a full cancel and rebook.

For what it's worth, Southwest hasn't updated the FAQ to indicate any change in policy.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, didn't even think of that! I sent an email to customer service and will update when they respond.
ursine1 and synergistic like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Perhaps they are getting ready to implement different pricing based on city pairs. $15 seems high for a short flight from DAL-HOU for example, but low for BWI-OAK. Maybe changing city pairs and keeping EBCI will not be allowed in the future.

It's just another reason I don't buy it. The main problem I have with it is they don't limit the number per flight so you could pay to be in the C group and get stuck in a middle seat. If I get a late number at T-24 I'll consider doing the $40 upgrade.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:24 am

$15 seems high for a short flight from DAL-HOU for example, but low for BWI-OAK.
The length of the flight shouldn't matter. Some people just don't want the middle seat. Other people may have a connecting flight, and want to be up front to get off quickly.

If they were to lower it for short flights, then you'll have the problem you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph...too many people buying it.

As far as having EBCI and getting the C group in a middle seat...has this ever happened to you, or are you just coming up with reasons not to buy it?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
The length of the flight shouldn't matter. Some people just don't want the middle seat. Other people may have a connecting flight, and want to be up front to get off quickly.

If they were to lower it for short flights, then you'll have the problem you mentioned in your 2nd paragraph...too many people buying it.

As far as having EBCI and getting the C group in a middle seat...has this ever happened to you, or are you just coming up with reasons not to buy it?
Hasn't happened to me, but theoretically possible as they'll sell it to as many people as will buy it for a certain flight. If someone wants to stay out of a middle, they may be willing to pay more on a longer flight.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Relative rare, but it happens.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Relative rare, but it happens.
Was this on an -800?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Was this on an -800?
Allegedly, no. This wasn't actually me -- it was posted online.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:21 pm

I just changed a points reservation online to a new date and new destination city, and the updated confirmation no longer shows EBCI. I remember seeing the expected warning about it becoming a non-refundable reservation, but no warning about losing EBCI.

The only reason I did a change instead of cancel/rebook was to keep the EBCI.

If that no longer works, there is really no reason to ever modify a points reservation any more.

EDIT: Just realized the original flight was within 25 hours of departure when I made the change, so that does align with the posted policy.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisVegas77
I just changed a points reservation online to a new date and new destination city, and the updated confirmation no longer shows EBCI. I remember seeing the expected warning about it becoming a non-refundable reservation, but no warning about losing EBCI.

The only reason I did a change instead of cancel/rebook was to keep the EBCI.

If that no longer works, there is really no reason to ever modify a points reservation any more.
What happens if you now try to add EBCI to the itinerary?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Closing the loop on this one - I submitted a complaint through the online form on 8/22 - the same day they responded to say it was being forwarded to customer relations. Eventually received a phone call (ignored, voicemail left) and text message on 9/7 stating that because of the new system there is no way for them to carry the EBCI to new city pairs, but that they would refund my purchase, and that if I wanted it on the rebooked trip I can add it myself. So they ruled in my favor but I wouldn't hold my breath on this being an option in the future.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:50 pm

Very odd. Last week I changed a MDW-LAS trip with EBCI attached to MDW-DEN, and the EBCI transferred over correctly. (I received a not-great boarding number, but I expected that due to the lateness of the change.)

Southwest hasn't updated their EBCI FAQ to give any indication that this is now how the system works.

OP: Did both of your cities change?

What exactly did that text message you received say?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Very odd. Last week I changed a MDW-LAS trip with EBCI attached to MDW-DEN, and the EBCI transferred over correctly. (I received a not-great boarding number, but I expected that due to the lateness of the change.)
If you buy EBCI and you make a late change is there any offsetting benefit like A-List who can always board as A-61?

If not what could it be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.