Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about the accepted conventions of exiting the aircraft (row 1, row 2, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about the accepted conventions of exiting the aircraft (row 1, row 2, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What never fails to amuse me are the people in the back with me who jump up the minute the bell dings, only to stand in the aisle for 10-15 minutes. I just figure they're those "once-a-year Kettles" I've read about so much on FT
I always get up when the bell rings. Its nice to stretch my legs out after sitting for a couple of hours.
bobunf likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I'm not sure how this is even a possibility. Every flight I've been on, the aisles are filled with seats 3 and 4 standing up to get their carry-on out of the bin. You would have to stand up and start moving before the plane came to a rest at the gate which you'd probably get strong words from the FA's if you did.

The thing that bugs me the most is when rows are unloading front to back, you have someone from row 6 pushing forward rather than letting row 5 empty out first which is pretty rude.
bobunf likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican
So conventionally, the people in row 1 exit the aircraft first, then row 2, etc. But if someone in row 10 has no carry on in overhead bins, are there any rules stopping him or her from rushing to the front of the plane to leave first once the aircraft has landed and is at the gate? Have you ever seen this happen and what was the reaction?
I've seen people try to do it, but I've always been quicker then them and hopped out of my aisle seat and blocked them so they couldn't get off. It's antisocial, rude, and pathetic for someone to not wait their turn.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Not on WN, but I was deplaning an AA flight at DFW about 5 years ago and there was a guy trying to shove his way to the front yelling that he had to be in court the next day (I guess he was trying to make a connection). I think he physically pushed at least one or two people as well and he brushed past me.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Not on WN, but I was deplaning an AA flight at DFW about 5 years ago and there was a guy trying to shove his way to the front yelling that he had to be in court the next day (I guess he was trying to make a connection). I think he physically pushed at least one or two people as well and he brushed past me.
My carry on would have landed on his head or he would have tripped over my foot. Oops.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Annerk
I've seen people try to do it, but I've always been quicker then them and hopped out of my aisle seat and blocked them so they couldn't get off. It's antisocial, rude, and pathetic for someone to not wait their turn.
I'm not sure which is more anti-social, moving ahead of passengers who are slow to exit or purposely blocking people from deplaning to enforce a personal opinion of correct behavior.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 7, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Annerk
I will literally call out and publicly shame people who can't wait their turn and barrel down the aisle.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:26 pm

I mean...there are probably zero social conventions that are 100% accepted. But it seems clear where this one falls for most travelers. I don't think one needs to wait for someone who is making no effort to deplane when the aisle in front of them is clear. But jumping up to run down the aisle and get ahead of other passengers as soon as the plane parks is pretty rude.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I will literally call out and publicly shame people who can't wait their turn and barrel down the aisle.
Why? Are they somehow hidden from view? Does that solve the problem? What purpose does that serve...no one will see that person again 3 minutes from now.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
What if they have a tight connection and is very bad at communicating about it?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by jacobguo
What if they have a tight connection and is very bad at communicating about it?
Obviously there will occasionally be irops where a few passengers will have extremely tight connections. In this case I've often seen FA's announce for people to please be kind and let the people with tight connections off. But if this type of announcement isn't made, wait your turn. Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
That and the "please wait for wheelchairs" announcement will be ignored by 99% of passengers. Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Once an announcement was made to stay seated while EMT's met the plane for a medical emergency. That was followed and caused a very brief delay.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: swa, ua
The line busters are just like the speeders in traffic who cut in and out of traffic just to get to the red light at the same time as everyone else. If they have a tight connection they should have paid more to get a better choice of seat near the front. Some people only see their own priorities as important.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gwhitti
The line busters are just like the speeders in traffic who cut in and out of traffic just to get to the red light at the same time as everyone else. If they have a tight connection they should have paid more to get a better choice of seat near the front. Some people only see their own priorities as important.
in fairness they might not have had a tight connection when they got on the plane. But all they have to do is ask and I'll gladly let someone who is polite go ahead of me in that case.

The other day a young couple were in a few rows behind my party. The lady just pushed right through as I was trying to get out of my seat. Almost knocked me back down. No apology or anything and the door wasn't even open yet. I stood up and her other half couldn't get through so she had to wait anyway.

Last edited by justhere; Sep 3, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: swa, ua
"in fairness they might not have had a tight connection when they got on the plane. But all they have to do is ask and I'll gladly let someone who is polite go ahead of me in that case."

Fair point except that if the tight connection happened after boarding then it probably affected a lot of other people too and a lot of people now have tight connections. The pushers are barging ahead of them too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.