Customs at FLL/BWI on southwest

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Customs at FLL/BWI on southwest

Flying from Punta Cana on Southwest back into the US. Have two options:

Option #1 : PUJ to FLL, 90 minute layover. FLL to ALB
Option #2 : PUJ to BWI, 2.5 hour layover. BWI to ALB

Option #1 is $50 cheaper. But is there enough time (90 minutes at FLL) to clear customs and get bags and get onto next flight? Has anyone else tried this before?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I connected in FLL from SDQ years ago when AA offered a super deal out of there and it was pretty easy. Might have been before Spirit saturated the airport though.

TSA wait time web site might offer a clue.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by jor689

Option #1 is $50 cheaper. But is there enough time (90 minutes at FLL) to clear customs and get bags and get onto next flight? Has anyone else tried this before?
Southwest now has it's own dedicated international gates/customs facility (with Silver) attached to their existing gates. 90 minute layover with Customs should be no problem.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott and MLife Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Just flew Southwest Airlines international GCM/FLL/PHX/SLC a week ago with 105 minutes between between flights. Cleared customs at FLL easily and still had time to grab something to eat.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jor689

I think you can take option#1. You can go through FLL. It's very easy for you. As for BWI, I don't think you can go to BWI. FLL is a shorter layover. You don't have any problems.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by utgypsy
Just flew Southwest Airlines international GCM/FLL/PHX/SLC a week ago with 105 minutes between between flights. Cleared customs at FLL easily and still had time to grab something to eat.
when you landed in FLL, you have to clear customs but do you have to get your bags onto the next flight? or does southwest do that for you?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If WN is selling the connection, it is at or above MCT and the risk of a misconnect falls on WN, e.g. you will be rebooked.

But, checking PUJ-ALB for all days next week, I can't find a PUJ-ALB ticket on WN connecting at ALB (all kinds of other connections). Are you considering two tickets with no connection?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:19 am

BWI MCT Int-Dom

Related question: 100 minute connection in BWI between Wow Air arriving from REK and Southwest flying to MSY.
2 tickets (though I could book through Kiwi.com which "guarantees" the connection - FWIW).
Connection is last flight of the day to MSY; should I gamble this? (Other option is to fly Norwegian from LGW to DEN with 4 hour lay over in DEN; real premium economy (travel time 5 hours longer and $ 400 more expensive); then DEN-MSY on Southwest.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Zaynab
Related question: 100 minute connection in BWI between Wow Air arriving from REK and Southwest flying to MSY.
2 tickets (though I could book through Kiwi.com which "guarantees" the connection - FWIW).
Connection is last flight of the day to MSY; should I gamble this? (Other option is to fly Norwegian from LGW to DEN with 4 hour lay over in DEN; real premium economy (travel time 5 hours longer and $ 400 more expensive); then DEN-MSY on Southwest.
The WOW flight will come into pier E where you will clear Customs/Immigration. Your WN flight will depart from A or B (possibly C, but not likely). BWI is my home airport, but I have only cleared there once. It worked well, but I wasn't there during prime time. Your walk between gates will be between 15 and 25 mins.

Not sure that helps much....
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I would not take this gamble. Too many time variables including immigration, customs, TSA. Also you should find out how Kiwi defines a misconnect and who must notify WN in the event of cancellation. WN does not interline, so you would be responsible to recheck baggage at the front ticket counter.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:05 pm

The biggest variable is not customs at BWI but whether Wow Air arrives on time. I'm certain I've been seeing complaints of numerous flights being late with them lately.

Other than that, the connection is certainly doable, although I personally wouldn't use such a short same day I-D connection.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I wouldn't risk it. You'll come into E on Wow, and almost all of SOuthwest's last flights are from A or B. You'll clear customs at E, have to walk to A to check bags and clear security (Southwest only does domestic check-in at that hour at the A-B entrance) and then walk to your gates.

This all is assuming that Wow is on time (it often isn't) and that you don't happen to arrive at the same time as BA or Condor. It doesn't happen often, but when it does Immigration is hosed. Hosed.

I'd take the real economy+ and decent connection even if it is $400. If $$$ make the decision, do BWI and stay at the Red Roof Inn +. It's clean and comfortable, newly renovated - wouldn't stay there for a week but its absolutely fine for 1 night. Rates from $50-80.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I agree with all posters.

Connecting between airlines isn't as much of a problem. Connecting ON TO an int'l airline leaving from a different terminal, with once a day service is a misconnect waiting to happen.

Not to mention no luggage interlining, and the fact that WOW often will not print a boarding pass at online checkin in favor of "see airport checkin agent" page.

WOW offers no rebooking for missed flights, and I'm sure their fares at t-24 hours are atrocious.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I think the question posed is connecting ONTO WN at BWI from WOW.

But definitely, a once a day service from REK is going to wait until its good and ready before leaving. I like the idea carrying on bags, the cheap Red Roof as insurance & getting WN's flat tire help for the next day if money is a factor and time isn't.

Last edited by joshua362; Sep 26, 2017 at 6:46 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
The WOW flight will come into pier E where you will clear Customs/Immigration. Your WN flight will depart from A or B (possibly C, but not likely). BWI is my home airport, but I have only cleared there once. It worked well, but I wasn't there during prime time. Your walk between gates will be between 15 and 25 mins.

Not sure that helps much....
I agree with everyone else. Completely bad idea. There is way too much riding on everything going completely perfect. All you need is a lost bag, a long delay, customs being understaffed, ect... forr things to get screwed up. And as mentioned, Southwest and all international carriers don't interline - so there will be no help there.

I would recommend staying overnight in BWI. If everything goes well, you can make a night out of it (Inner Harbor, Fells Point, ect...). Should things not go as planned, You will have plenty of time to recover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.