FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   No more non-stop flights from Dulles to Vegas on Southwest? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1849660-no-more-non-stop-flights-dulles-vegas-southwest.html)

snail Jun 22, 2017 11:31 pm

No more non-stop flights from Dulles to Vegas on Southwest?

I went to vegas last summer.
I got a non-stop from IAD to Vegas on Southwest (I think).

I plan on going to vegas again this August.
but looking at Southwest's page, there are no more non-stops? :(
When did this change? or am I mistaken about Southwest?

btw- I live 10min from Dulles airport.

Tanic Jun 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Gone.

But there are several direct (not nonstop) daily flights on WN between DCA and LAS.

And six daily nonstops from BWI.

snail Jun 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 28476786)
Gone.

But there are several direct (not nonstop) daily flights on WN between DCA and LAS.

And six daily nonstops from BWI.

when/why did they get rid of non-stops from iad? :(

dca and bwi are not convenient to me. sigh

JY1024 Jun 23, 2017 12:51 am

TravelBuzz is for general topics that don't pertain to a specific destination, hotel, airline, etc. Therefore, we will move this over to the Southwest forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

BOSstorageguy Jun 23, 2017 4:59 am

Originally Posted by snail (Post 28476799)
when/why did they get rid of non-stops from iad? :(

dca and bwi are not convenient to me. sigh

WN was most likely not getting the loads or profits that they desired on this route so it was pulled. You can still choose Frontier or United from IAD, however even driving from Dulles to BWI for a WN non-stop is still better than having to connect somewhere on WN or even having to fly one of those other airlines.

jeffandnicole Jun 23, 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by snail (Post 28476729)
I went to vegas last summer.
I got a non-stop from IAD to Vegas on Southwest (I think).

I plan on going to vegas again this August.
but looking at Southwest's page, there are no more non-stops? :(
When did this change? or am I mistaken about Southwest?

btw- I live 10min from Dulles airport.

Being that you don't even truly remember what airline you took, how bummed are you really about this?

snail Jun 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole (Post 28478821)
Being that you don't even truly remember what airline you took, how bummed are you really about this?

I was looking forward to non-stop on southwest to vegas.
i took them 6months ago to new Orleans.

so yes, bummed

Often1 Jun 23, 2017 1:43 pm

It's all about relative PRASM. The aircraft WN dedicates to IAD-LAS aren't flying somewhere else. It's a market with 8 nonstops already, so it's hardly a surprise that a few more x IAD got dumped.

snail Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BOSstorageguy (Post 28477371)
WN was most likely not getting the loads or profits that they desired on this route so it was pulled. You can still choose Frontier or United from IAD, however even driving from Dulles to BWI for a WN non-stop is still better than having to connect somewhere on WN or even having to fly one of those other airlines.

it's 60min each way from my house (near dulles airport) to bwi.
but a connecting flight from iad adds an hr, so it's a wash.

however, Uber costs about $85 each way to bwi :(

oswaldjacoby Jun 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Southwest has a very minimal presence at IAD--only 7 flights a day. Presumably, they have determined they can make more money putting their focus on BWI, and to a lesser extent DCA.

toomanybooks Jun 24, 2017 5:39 am

Originally Posted by snail (Post 28479125)
it's 60min each way from my house (near dulles airport) to bwi.
but a connecting flight from iad adds an hr, so it's a wash.

however, Uber costs about $85 each way to bwi :(

Connecting flight greatly increases chance of delay in getting to final destination.

birdiedouble Jun 24, 2017 5:51 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks (Post 28481037)
Connecting flight greatly increases chance of delay in getting to final destination.

I regularly drive 90-150 miles taking 1 1/2-2+ hours to fly WN to avoid a connection on other carriers, but I am driving on a highway with a low proabability of delays. I don't think I would be doing the same on the DC/BWI corridor.

wetrat0 Jun 24, 2017 4:47 pm

I regularly pay extra to fly from my airport of choice in the DC area (in my case, DCA). I sympathize with the OP. Not going to drive to BWI unless it's a very long flight and very substantial savings.

snail Jun 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0 (Post 28482648)
I regularly pay extra to fly from my airport of choice in the DC area (in my case, DCA). I sympathize with the OP. Not going to drive to BWI unless it's a very long flight and very substantial savings.

going to vegas so very long flight.
but not substantial savings.

or I can bite the bullet and fly United non-stop for $100 more. (regular economy, not the stupid 'basic economy')
but I want the flexibility of changing when I leave Vegas just in case.

tvtd Jun 25, 2017 5:31 pm

I am IAD abased as well and have never understood why WN has the presence it does when BWI is down the street. Granted BWI is not convenient by any stretch of the means to NoVA, but with their presence at DCA I would think, from a business standpoint, IAD would at best be a wash.