Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About flying with Southwest, "saved seats" and sitting in them anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:36 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
You're going to climb over a seat.
Does that make him an antisocial climber?

Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:45 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
Of course bulkhead and exit seats are easier to climb over than regular rows. With regular rows - good luck.
I live near an airliner graveyard, I can get in lots of practice.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
He's definitely a troll and Internet bully. If he acts out like he says he would I'm pretty sure he'll miss a lot of flights.
That would definitely make you ignorant.

You have been trolling since you interjected yourself into the discussion.

No, I dont miss any flights, and yes, I stand up for myself... and others.

Back to moms basement for you.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Exactly. He has likely rarely if ever flown WN and increasingly seems to be all bluster. Probably the type to cower and slink away if he perceives aggression, but revels in his online persona.
Enough bluster to have forcibly subdued many, many more people than you have up to and including using deadly force.

Cower is definitely not something I would do.

Last edited by SpaceCoastBill; Jun 28, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
SpaceCoastBill, if he's being serious, acts as if it actively searches out these saved seats. If he boarded a plane and spotted the last row middle as being saved, he'll probably run back there and argue he wants that seat.

For the most part, most people don't care about a few rows. Those that do are more miserable than the seat savors in the first place.
Nope, not the case.

Paid extra boarding fee to maximize a bulkhead seat, yes.

The rest of your post is liberal banter.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:12 am

Just had an interesting experience that fits well with this thread.... My first leg was delayed, so I arrived at the next gate just in time to board with the family boarders. I grabbed a window in row 8, put my carryon under the seat, left my pillow and charger block on my seat, and ran for the lav. I came back to find a family filling up 'my' row.

Ok, no worries, plenty of windows available further back, just hand me my stuff. They say they can't get it out. I sigh, but go to take another seat. The flight attendant insists I get my stuff. I try to explain that it's not really in my hands, but that the bag went under the seat easily and would likely come out easily. The father, in the row behind, is visibly irked at his wife, but stands up, comes around, and easily pulls out my bag.

I ask for my pillow and charger. They say there was nothing else there. I point at my pillow, currently around one of the children's neck. The father takes it and hands it to me. I ask briefly about my charger block, but at this point I've held things up long enough and give up. Never did get it back.

Given the lack of assistance from the flight attendant - I suspect she was mostly worried I'd fight for my seat - I find it pretty unlikely that they'd interfere in anything other than an actual altercation.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
No need to ignore the OPP who began this thread of amusement 147 posts ago. Hasn't been seen since.
I added at least one person posting in this thread to my "ignore" list (and it wasn't the OP)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:43 am

If I want to respond twice, can I save response #159 for when I return later? I need that response next to this response.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by synergistic
Just had an interesting experience that fits well with this thread.... My first leg was delayed, so I arrived at the next gate just in time to board with the family boarders. I grabbed a window in row 8, put my carryon under the seat, left my pillow and charger block on my seat, and ran for the lav. I came back to find a family filling up 'my' row.

Ok, no worries, plenty of windows available further back, just hand me my stuff. They say they can't get it out. I sigh, but go to take another seat. The flight attendant insists I get my stuff. I try to explain that it's not really in my hands, but that the bag went under the seat easily and would likely come out easily. The father, in the row behind, is visibly irked at his wife, but stands up, comes around, and easily pulls out my bag.

I ask for my pillow and charger. They say there was nothing else there. I point at my pillow, currently around one of the children's neck. The father takes it and hands it to me. I ask briefly about my charger block, but at this point I've held things up long enough and give up. Never did get it back.

Given the lack of assistance from the flight attendant - I suspect she was mostly worried I'd fight for my seat - I find it pretty unlikely that they'd interfere in anything other than an actual altercation.
Why didn't you sit back down your own seat and evict the people trying to not just take your seat, but actually STEAL your belongings? That is completely uncalled for!

If there's stuff on on your seat and under the seat in front of you, and no one else is next to it, it should be obvious to anyone boarding that someone else has already claimed that seat. It's your personal version of a "seat saved" card. That is not "seat saving" that we're discussing here (which is saving a seat for someone else). I see absolutely no reason why you cannot save your own seat while you use the lav, assuming you leave your belongings there (otherwise you've abandoned your seat and will have to select another seat).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Why didn't you sit back down your own seat and evict the people trying to not just take your seat, but actually STEAL your belongings? That is completely uncalled for!

If there's stuff on on your seat and under the seat in front of you, and no one else is next to it, it should be obvious to anyone boarding that someone else has already claimed that seat. It's your personal version of a "seat saved" card. That is not "seat saving" that we're discussing here (which is saving a seat for someone else). I see absolutely no reason why you cannot save your own seat while you use the lav, assuming you leave your belongings there (otherwise you've abandoned your seat and will have to select another seat).
Tbh, had I not been drinking (a bit heavily) I likely would have at least tried to track down my charger block. I definitely spent a good bit of time steaming in my seat a few rows back - still can't believe that part.

As for the seat, I am not the sort to 'displace' even an exceptionally rude family. I'd have sucked it up and taken a middle if I'd had to, but there was no need. I actually left the situation feeling kinda bad for that dad, for a bit I held out hope he'd come bring me my brick on the flight.

I was somewhat disappointed in the FA, who I'd chatted with briefly before hitting the lav. Seriously, they said they tried to remove my bag but couldn't - so was the initial plan to just toss my stuff (the stuff they didn't want!) into the aisle?? I dunno, I thought I was over it but I'm pissy again =p
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

OP here my flight was 'fairly' uneventful.

My earlybird spot on a saturday morning was A40. Since I was flying by myself I feel like I lucked out and ended up in an aisle seat in row 2. The medical preboard group too up the first 6 rows or so but they mostly stuck to the window and middle seats. They DID have computer problems so had to check off passengers using printouts, paper and pencil.

On the way back sunday evening the flight was delayed close to 2 hours. My earlybird spot was A39 but I paid $39 for spot A6. I sat row 1 in the middle seat which seemed to irk the people to either side of me but I didn't care. No one else took a middle seat for the first 4 rows or so.

I would have thought there would have been more confrontation, but more often than not I would overhear people ask "is anyone sitting there?" further back in the plane with no standoffs over saved seats.

This was only my first time on Southwest, so anyone else's mileage may vary widely.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican
I would have thought there would have been more confrontation, but more often than not I would overhear people ask "is anyone sitting there?" further back in the plane with no standoffs over saved seats.

This was only my first time on Southwest, so anyone else's mileage may vary widely.
17 years flying WN, I have read a *lot* of FT threads about confrontation and seat saving, I have never seen anything other than what you describe.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

My earlybird spot on a saturday morning was A40. Since I was flying by myself I feel like I lucked out and ended up in an aisle seat in row 2. The medical preboard group too up the first 6 rows or so but they mostly stuck to the window and middle seats. They DID have computer problems so had to check off passengers using printouts, paper and pencil.

On the way back sunday evening the flight was delayed close to 2 hours. My earlybird spot was A39 but I paid $39 for spot A6. I sat row 1 in the middle seat which seemed to irk the people to either side of me but I didn't care. No one else took a middle seat for the first 4 rows or so.

Was the middle seat bulkhead worth $39?

I find it odd that people ask "is anyone sitting there?" Unless you're blind, it should be obvious. Come on, people, pick a seat and sit in it!

The only thing I say is "excuse me" to an aisle seat person when I am heading for the window seat in that row.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:32 am

Nope. Your mileage is the normal mileage.

It's just like most other issues. Most people will never write up a report when everything is fine. If they have an issue, that's when they make a big fuss about it. A few others may have similar examples. Many others may have examples that didn't exactly apply to them.

Take this for example: 100 people on a plane. 1 person has an issue, and complains about it. Their travel companion is irritated as well, and complains about the same issue. Someone else nearby overhears the issue, and mentions it as well. And someone else who was affected may say they had to deal with the issue, but they eventually won the argument.

Did 4 issues occur? No - just 1. We just hear about it ad nausem.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
My earlybird spot was A39 but I paid $39 for spot A6.
You paid for Early Bird and then paid again for upgraded boarding?

I would have thought there would have been more confrontation...
Nope. The reports of confrontation are greatly over-reported here in the forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.