Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgraded boarding and gift cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Upgraded boarding and gift cards?

I know they can't be used for EBCI, but can they be used at the gate to purchase upgraded boarding?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Never mind - I just found the answer (they can not). I was looking at an older FAQ that did not mention them in the exclusions.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:13 pm

Southwest gift cards are very limited; they recently restricted them even further. Basically they're good for only air travel, taxes and fees.

For reservations for travel taking place on or after May 9, 2017, a Southwest gift card is not valid for the purchase of Southwest Airlines Vacation Packages, cargo, hotel, rental car, Southwest Airlines merchandise, Southwest Airlines group tickets, EarlyBird Check-In, oversized and excess baggage fees, upgraded boarding at the airport, Pet Fare, unaccompanied minor service charge, additional Southwest gift cards, or inflight purchases. Sales tax, security fees, and passenger facilities charges may be paid for with a Southwest gift card.
Also, be aware that the system now limits the number of payment methods to 3, meaning you can use no more than 3 gift cards on a single transaction, or 2 gift cards plus a credit card if necessary. I see disappointed customers posting often in social media after receiving multiple low-denomination gift cards they are unable to combine to use for their desired itinerary. (A workaround is to book individual passengers, one-way, and/or combine cards through "dummy" bookings, although the latter is a bit risky.)

It's unfortunate, but not surprising, that Southwest has no way to combine funds from multiple gift cards onto a single card, as is offered by many merchants.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, a friend of my oldest daught r gave her one for Christmas last year so she could fly out to visit her, but I pretty much book everything on points. I'm trying to figure out how to use it up, and I'm thinking I may just end up ebaying it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:41 am

Why not use it for it's intended purpose, book flights with it, earn more points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.