Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changing a Exiting Reservation's Route and Date

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a Exiting Reservation's Route and Date

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Question Changing a Exiting Reservation's Route and Date

I have currently booked a trip from MDW-MCI for December 4 and it is booked with Points and I have Early Bird on it already so I can't cancel without forfeiting the EB Payment. So my question is, is it possible to change my booking for this to MCI-DAL For February 8 or DAL-MCI for Feb 11 or 12. (when reservations come online) without losing my EB or not?

The reason why I asked is because I found a cheaper rate for an earlier departure on a different service and that WN did not drop any $49 fares in the afternoon or evening buckets during the sale for the MDW-MCI route on the 4th.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Pretty sure the EB charge is fully refundable on a points reservation. You just have to select "Refund" vs "Hold for Future Use" when cancelling.

edit:...EBCI is NOT refundable as noted below...was thinkin security fee.

But yes, you can modify your points reservation all you want and the EB will carry over.

Last edited by PAX62; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
Pretty sure the EB charge is fully refundable on a points reservation. You just have to select "Refund" vs "Hold for Future Use" when cancelling.

But yes, you can modify your points reservation all you want and the EB will carry over.
So your telling me that I can bank my EB and then book that Dallas Flight with cash and use that EB?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:09 am

Early Bird is non-refundable. Only the security fee on a points booking is refundable. However you can modify the reservation and EB will stay. If you cancel, you will lose it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicnac16
Early Bird is non-refundable. Only the security fee on a points booking is refundable. However you can modify the reservation and EB will stay. If you cancel, you will lose it.
Which leaves me to the original question in my post. Can I change a route in my reservation from MDW-MCI to MCI-DAL and keep the same Conf Number and EB?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sawblade5
Which leaves me to the original question in my post. Can I change a route in my reservation from MDW-MCI to MCI-DAL and keep the same Conf Number and EB?
I believe the answer is YES...if it's points-points or cash-cash. Can't do cash-points or vice versa.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:24 pm

1) EBCI is NOT refundable. That incorrect information posted earlier should be deleted.
2) Yes, as long as you use the Change Flight function you can change an itinerary -- including date and airports -- and you will retain EBCI. (In theory at least. There's always the possibility of the infamous Southwest glitch causing EBCI to drop off. I recommend verifying EBCI is still attached after the change.)
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I have just made the reservation change this morning with 1 problem. The Early Bird stayed put. I wonder if I kept my EB seniority on that where I am the First EB on it?

The only problem is so far my adjusted points balance has not shown up yet in my total points balance. How long does that take to return to my account? Edit: It has already shown up. But the Website has a glitch where you have to log out and in for it to show up. Now I got my return trip booked from DAL.

Last edited by sawblade5; Jun 22, 2017 at 8:17 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:43 am

The "date of purchase" used for your EarlyBird Check-In position would be today.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
The "date of purchase" used for your EarlyBird Check-In position would be today.
If that's the case I should be the very first EB in line since I already purchased EB 2 weeks ago for the flight from MDW-MCI before reservations opened up for Feb for MCI-DAL.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:21 pm

If that's the case I should be the very first EB in line since I already purchased EB 2 weeks ago for the flight from MDW-MCI before reservations opened up for Feb for MCI-DAL.
You're misunderstanding.

When you change an itinerary that has EBCI attached to a different flight, the "date of purchase" used for the position ranking is the date you changed to the new flight, not the original purchase date of the EBCI.

Essentially, it's the date you "bought" the flight, not the date you previously bought EBCI.

Since you bought the flight today -- the day the schedule opened, the first day the flight was available -- you should have a very good EBCI number.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:41 am

Just sticking with this...in theory, you may not be. Others could've done the same exact thing you did.

But regardless, you should have a high EBCI number. Of course, if the flight you're getting on is a thru-flight, you may still encounter others already on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.