Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Overbooking / VDBs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
No More Overbooking / VDBs?

A friend flew on Saturday, and asked at a gate at MDW if his flight happened to be overbooked. The GA told him that since the string of recent highly publicized incidents, there's a new policy of not overbooking flights any more.

Is this true?

<I searched the first 3 pages of threads and didn't find anything related. Please merge if such a thread exists. Thanx! DT>
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
It's true. They stopped shortly after the United incident.

WN to cease overbooking flights
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by elevatorgeek
It's true. They stopped shortly after the United incident.

WN to cease overbooking flights
Thanx! I guess I didn't go back far enough!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
This policy is enough to make me not book on WN anymore. About 75% of my travel is funded with VDB's (Specifically WN and DL).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
This policy is enough to make me not book on WN anymore. About 75% of my travel is funded with VDB's (Specifically WN and DL).
Congrats...one of the most ridiculous posts on this forum in a while.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I suspect a very exaggerated post here.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:17 pm

I suspect a very exaggerated post here
Err...ok since the beginning of 2016:

2/16 ATL-DL 2EA $400
3/16 ATL-DL 2EA $900
3/16 LAS-WN 1EA $300+Refund
6/16 PWM-DL 1EA $300
6/16 IND-WN 1EA $300+Refund
11/16 PVG-DL 2EA $1000
12/16 MOB-DL 2EA $400
1/17 ZRH-DL 2EA $1000
4/17 ATL-DL 2EA $500

That is nearly $11,000 my wife and I use for leisure travel. We always fly super cheap sale and/or mistake fares. Typically $600-700 RT to Asia and $400-500 R/T to Europe. We pay with VDB's and get more VDB's to replace them. I don't understand how you can authoritatively tell me I am wrong here. Do you need ticket numbers? Photos? Help with math to understand that $11k can easily buy a couple a lot of cheap round trip tickets?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by lougord99
I suspect a very exaggerated post here.
Perhaps not if you only fly twice/year :
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Intra-California flights have consistently been able to accommodate some standbys for years. My last VDB was about 3 years ago, and it's not from a lack of trying.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Intra-California flights have consistently been able to accommodate some standbys for years. My last VDB was about 3 years ago, and it's not from a lack of trying.
Leave from LAS on a convention weekend or fly from the midwest when storms nail MDW and odds of a VDB go up. (Or at least, they used to)

I will be the first to admit, VDB's on WN are(were) hard to get. Most tries ended in failure.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:22 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by nsx
This is my experience as well. Looking for VDB for intra-CA is a waste of time and you risk getting a middle seat if you hang out at the gate. The closest I got was when a non-rev had to get up from the seat and deplane because the last rev passenger didn't have a seat. Many years ago, I got VDB over and over and over again by WN and built up a nice WN fund so I never had to use my own money. Those days are long gone.

I do get free WN funds today, but they are for mechanical and horrible customer service errors instead of VDB. Unfortunately the customer service part is way downhill from 20+ years ago. WN is expensive nowadays so it's not hard to burn them even though the WN funds don't count towards taxes and fees.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by jmw
WN funds don't count towards taxes and fees.
This is easy to overcome. Just buy a higher-priced ticket with the full voucher and credit card. Immediately cancel it and refund the credit card part. You now have a ticketless fund that can be applied against 100% of your next purchase, including the taxes.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Err...ok since the beginning of 2016:

2/16 ATL-DL 2EA $400
3/16 ATL-DL 2EA $900
3/16 LAS-WN 1EA $300+Refund
6/16 PWM-DL 1EA $300
6/16 IND-WN 1EA $300+Refund
11/16 PVG-DL 2EA $1000
12/16 MOB-DL 2EA $400
1/17 ZRH-DL 2EA $1000
4/17 ATL-DL 2EA $500

That is nearly $11,000 my wife and I use for leisure travel. We always fly super cheap sale and/or mistake fares. Typically $600-700 RT to Asia and $400-500 R/T to Europe. We pay with VDB's and get more VDB's to replace them. I don't understand how you can authoritatively tell me I am wrong here. Do you need ticket numbers? Photos? Help with math to understand that $11k can easily buy a couple a lot of cheap round trip tickets?
Color me jealous that you have the time & inclination to pursue this hobby! Beats collecting useless material items.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Color me jealous that you have the time & inclination to pursue this hobby! Beats collecting useless material items.
Time & Inclination​ are an understatement. I tell my friends "Imagine every hour you spend watching TV or surfing Facebook was spent looking for cheap airfare instead" and then they understand.

And yes...I hate material items.

The point of my response to this thread is...WN no longer deserves my time. (No tears from them I am sure)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Hopefully for you this is just some sort of PR move and semantics or loose definitions over overbooking are at play here. I find it very hard to believe they are completely abandoning their successful prediction algorithms and allowing flights to go out with empty seats especially at a business center like ATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.